Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emilie
Featured Quebec

Will you tip your vendors?

Emilie, on December 6, 2016 at 16:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

Hi lovely ladies Smiley heart

Tipping is a big thing in Canada... Some vendors will expect tipping and others might not Smiley tongue

Image: Pinterest

12 Comments

Latest activity by Vanessa, on August 8, 2017 at 16:58
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will definitely be considering this as we are having friends and keeping things local.
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We won't be tipping vendors because prices for anything "wedding" are already inflated. If you were to have a gathering that wasn't a wedding, most prices would be lower. We're having an open bar so if any of our 29 guests want to leave a tip, that's not a problem.

• Cassandra
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Haha we'll see Smiley smile if a tip was mandatory it would be put into the price already. I'll see how the service is.
  • Stephanielarson
    Frequent user July 2017 British Columbia
    Stephanielarson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's so nice that they give a discount for the vendors meals.

Hate to break it to you but you should tip the limo driver. Just like you need to tip a taxi driver. You should tip him 10% minimum.

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yup we tipped and fed all our vendors! Officiant, photographers, videographer, DJ, photobooth... We didn't tip the servers for dinner because it was built into our contract.

We put the tips in labeled envelopes before the wedding and gave them to my mom to hand out. (Usually the Best Man does this but we didn't really trust ours and my mom said that she didn't mind.)

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All of ours have Gratuity built in ..... so I believe that is their tip correct?

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A discount on vendor meals is awesome! I plan on feeding my Dj and Photographer...I shall ask if I can get a discount rate. No harm asking, right?

I think most venues/ caterers include gratuity in price (at least mine does), so I am not too worried about those. I am less sure what the expectation is for others. I might do some reading before I do or do not tip.

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's best to check your contract first! Some places build the tip into the price (my venue for instance lists the price and says "including tax and gratuity")

I've also heard that it is not as "expected" to tip private vendors, for example, if your photographer owns their own company, rather than through an agency. Which makes sense to me as they get to keep all the money, rather than having to pay a protion to the agency they work for.

• Cassandra
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You mean after the amount of money we spent on our vendors, they still expect a tip??? Oh jeeze..

We have a table for our photographer, videographer, and dj and are paying for them to eat, and have drinks as well. The hall charges 50% of the ($105/pp) for vendors. Not bad.

I'm not sure if I will be giving tips. Maybe the limo driver if he's fun lol

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are tipping our reception as they are catering our food. Our DJ has requested that he be fed since he is working a longer shift which we have no issue. Not sure of the others. I think it's great to tip them if you are able to do so, but it's not something vendors should expect as there could be other constraints that occur for people to not be able to tip them.
  • Stephanielarson
    Frequent user July 2017 British Columbia
    Stephanielarson ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Good question! I've worked in the service industry on and off for years so I don't want to be "that person" who leaves little or no tip it's others do. I'll obviously be tipping the food and beverage team and the limo driver. Would the dj and photographer get a tip? I never thought of this??

• Cheryl
    Expert December 2017 British Columbia
    Cheryl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wont have vendors, only venues! We have all the resources and friends to make it so we don't have to worry about extra people to keep track of!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics