Image: Pinterest

41 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on March 14, 2018 at 12:39
  • Sarah
    Curious October 2024 Saskatchewan
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When it comes to his dad, I call him dad already and along with the rest of his family I call them aunty, uncle and refer to his brothers as a brother or sister in laws. When it comes to his mom, I made the mistake as calling her mom (out of respect) and it didnt go over well. She had lost one of her children so in her mind, she only wants her boys calling her mom and no one else can because her one son has been robbed of that. She does accept my son with calling her grandma though. So to each there own I guess and I have accepted it for what it is.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I call my on laws by aunt ________ and rhe rest od his family by names.
  • Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope!

We both still call each others parents by first name. It just feels more natural.

The only thing I can see happening is we will refer to them by whatever "grandparent" name gets selected when we have kids.

Sweet moment though; a few days after we were married my DH told my Dad that he is now his "son-in-law" and my Dad responded by saying, "No, just Son".

(I'm an only child)

• Shay
    Frequent user February 2019 British Columbia
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I won't. His sister in law doesnt and it seems more natural to keep it the way it is. He isn't close with my mom and i dont see that ever happening on his end either.
  • Ellen
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Ellen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't know if I can, my fiance already calls my parents mom or dad in discussions only, and it is very confusing. However, I don't want to seem rude if I don't call his parent's mom and dad after we are married. My parents never called each other's parents mom and dad; it was always Mr and Mrs. I know that seems formal but thats how it was done.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This will totally depend on whether my FMIL starts to actually treat me like family or not.. so far she will remain "Karen" after the wedding

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've always called them by their names but his grandmother I call Meme and his aunts and uncles I refer to them as "aunt____" and "uncle ____'
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH already calls my parents mom and dad. I’ve called his parents Chuck and Jules (real names Charles and Julie) for years so I’ll prob keep rolling with the nicknames.

My dad jokingly has called my grandma “mother in law” and nothing else for years. She thinks it’s adorable and funny lol.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like the idea. Fiance mentioned once how soon I would be calling her mom, in front of her. My parents called their in-laws mom and dad so it is what I grew up hearing.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My future BIL called my future in-laws by their first names, so I’m taking that as a lead to not change what I call them.
  • Kat
    Newbie August 2020 Nova Scotia
    Kat ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely not! My FH's step sister was my childhood best friend, I've known their parents by their first names for almost 20 years
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm still unsure!! Right now I just call them by their first name. But I hope we will be having kids soon after the wedding so we will probably be referring to them as Memère and Pepère.
  • Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have been friends almost 23 years. I've been calling his mom "mom" for most of that time, so no transition needed! I call his step-dad by his first name, as my FH and his siblings do. And my FH calls my parents by their first names.

I think a great deal of it is what the individual being addressed prefers. It was the same way for my older sister and her hubby.

• Sabrina
    Curious July 2017 Ontario
    Sabrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No mom and dad here. I was told to call them by their first names.
  • Kaytee
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I won't have a mother-in-law as my fiance's mother died about 11 years ago but I don't think I will call his Dad, Dad.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not sure on this one. I know growing up as a kid my friends all called my parents mom and dad but if I called anyone else my mom would get jealous. But said and done if it comes naturally it will come.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So sorry for you, Donna. I feel bad when families cut ties like that. If only they realized what they are missing. I have an issue in my family too. My eldest son lives with a women with whom he had 2 children. They are a bad mix but for the grandchildren I try to stay neutral. Just found out that only my son will be coming to the wedding but not his partner or the children. How disappointing! His partner said she's not going to watch me get married when she's been waiting more that 10 years for him to propose. I know he won't propose because they are like oil and water, they don't mix. It hurts but at least he is coming. So I know the disappointment you are feeling.

• Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's something that I am not sure. I hear it from my parents calling each other's parents mom and dad, and my future husband calls only my mother "ma", I just haven't gotten used to how it sounds coming from my mouth.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I hope not. I feel like that would be awkward
  • Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope. But that's not my style anyways.

• Megan
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only have one mom one dad they deserve those names coming from me. When it comes to my partners parents they hear it from their son. They are defenitly loved by me but there is no other that wears those special names.

Mothers love

Mothers love

• Kate
    Expert July 2017 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sadly My In-laws are gone to the other side now.

• Laura
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not! My parents are my Mom & Dad, no one else gets that title. Also, my FH refers to his parents in conversations as their first names (he's not overly close with them). Plus to top it all off, we both come from divorced families, so that's a whole lot of "Mom's" and "Dad's". HAHA

• Jessica
    Frequent user July 2018 Nova Scotia
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

His mom passed away when we first got together, and his dad will always be Lynn or Grandad (my FH has a son so he's Grandad when talking to his son)

• Hannah
    Frequent user March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Hannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope! They are like family to me but no one will compare to my mom and dad. I would been awkward calling them something other than their name.
  • Rachel
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Of course!

They are already family to me Smiley smile

• Caitlin
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would feel awkward with it. Lol i mean, we say "mom" and "dad" when we are talking to each other, but talking to the inlaws we call them by their name lol
  • Donna
    Devoted August 2017 Quebec
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you Kacy Smiley smile

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Aawww sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear that!! Smiley sadSmiley sad sending you virtual hugs!
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No probably not. I just don't feel comfortable with it.

• Terry
    Newbie August 2018 Ontario
    Terry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes I will be already do
  • Jknbhjbb
    Frequent user July 2017 Ontario
    Jknbhjbb ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not....I can tolerate his dad, but have absolutely no respect for his mother. I will continue to call both by their names. His siter in law calls his parents mom and dad, if she only knew half of the shit her mother in law talks about her,....its sad really.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics