Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Whose names are going on your invitations?

Joey, on December 4, 2018 at 08:34 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19

Invitation etiquette is tricky stuff! After you pick the style of invitation you want, you'll need to make certain the wording you use is just right. The first part of an invitation traditionally lists the names of the hosts. Whose names are going to be featured on your invitation? How are you phrasing this?

Will you mention both families?

Whose names are going on your invitations? 1

Photo by Cap Calligraphy

Will you name each parent?Whose names are going on your invitations? 2

Photo by Cameleon Design Studio

Will just one host family be named?Whose names are going on your invitations? 3

Photo by Paint the Day Designs

Or will you only include your own names?

Whose names are going on your invitations? 4

Photo by M.A. Signature Events

Totally overwhelmed by invitation wording? You're certainly not alone! Wedding Invitation Wording 101 will help get you started on the right track.

19 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on January 8, 2019 at 07:59
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're paying for our wedding, therefore no one's name is going on the invitations besides ours lol.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since we are paying and hosting we just put our names. We did mention "together with their families" but no specific mention to parents or anyone else.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We as the couple hosted and my parents hosted the welcome dinner the night before the wedding.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just us. Of course, it's been so long since I've looked at it, I had to double check... Haha. We had a couple mock ups that said stuff like "Together with their parents..."

My parents are paying for the wedding, but no one was concerned with the traditional aspect of listing parents or "presenting" the kids or whatever...

Whose names are going on your invitations? 5

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just did our own names. We paid of our wedding ourselves, so we didn’t feel like we had to add other names

Whose names are going on your invitations? 6
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re also going with “together with their families”. It was the easiest option for a more relaxed/casual wedding, which is what we’re hoping for!
  • Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Really great question! My dad is hosting the wedding so he will be issuing the invitation and be noticed in the host line.

I will be mentioning my FH’s parents after his name, (son of MR. & Mrs......)

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will have our parents names on ours. My parents are contributing and my FH assumes his parents may (he was given money long ago for a wedding but used it to be debt free from school). So we’ll see - but we’ll pay homage to both Smiley smile
  • Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will put our names only. He doesn't have his parents anymore and my parents are half the world away and are not involved in the wedding planning.

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will probably do "together with their families". My FH's parents are not contributing financially at all, but mine are, and I don't want them to feel left out on the invite. and about 75% of the wedding we are paying for ourselves.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing together with their families too! It makes things easier for us!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We mentioned all parents names! My parents are helping with paying for a large portion of the wedding, so I have their names first! But it was important for me to list both!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just used ‘together with their families’ since both sets of parents and ourselves are paying for the wedding.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like we will put "together with their families" as that sounds the best and we would hate to single out one family over the other or to act as if my family wasn't helping out (my parents bought my dress and veil so far).

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're using "together with their families" as well, as we are paying for the bulk of the wedding.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would like to do just our names. but that would cause FMIL to probably be offended. We are paying almost all of the wedding ourselves. I'm going with "together with their families". so no one's feelings are hurt. plus there is too many people parent wise (FH's parents are divorced. my grandpa that raised me has passed away, my aunt and uncle are acting like my parents but not paying). so families it is Smiley smile

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're putting our names only. We're paying for most of the wedding ourselves and wording the wedding invite to include the names of those who have contributed money for the wedding would be a bit weird and awkward for us since his grandmother gave us some money and my mother hasn't. Plus, I have divorced parents who both have new partners so that may be a bit confusing

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We put "together with our families" Just to keep it simple and so no one gets offended if it only says bride/groom parents.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We put our names only. We are paying for our entire wedding ourselves, so didn’t need to add names. Thank goodness! My parents are divorced and one is re-married, so I didn’t want to stress about wording and hurting anyone’s feelings.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics