Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Who's Who? - Who is the first person you told about your engagement?

Joey, on July 30, 2018 at 09:18 Posted in Before the wedding 0 25

In the Who's Who? game we are getting to know a bit more about the most important people involved in your wedding Smiley heart

After your proposal, who was the very first person you told about your engagement?

Who's Who? - Who is the first person you told about your engagement? 1

Photo by Elle Weddings in Vancouver

>>Click here to go to the next question, Who has been your biggest planning ally?

25 Comments

Latest activity by Janaya, on September 9, 2018 at 16:56
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We told our two best friends first - they also happen to be our mentors and life coaches!

then we called my parents, and the next day I called my close family members and his parents (since they are in a different time zone)

we really wanted to take the rest of the night to focus on us and our new engagement

• Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We told my parents first and my aunt because she happened to be at the house when we went over!
  • Summer
    Devoted May 2019 Ontario
    Summer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were with my family on Christmas when it happened. But the first person I texted was my best friend Deb!

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were with friends when it happened - our future best man and bridesmaid, so they obviously new first. But we were travelling out west, and therefore, didn't tell our families until two days later - my mom and dad, followed by his mom. They were so excited!

• Genis
    Frequent user January 2019 Alberta
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We told Luke's parents as we were in Hawaii, we wanted to surprise his parents when they came to meet us in Hawaii so we spent the day without telling anyone & just enjoying our time. When they picked us up we broke the news & they were beyond excited! & then, due to time differences I started to call my family back home in Aus.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I called my mom but she was not home so I told my dad and made him promise not to tell, due to the time difference I was asleep when she got home so I actually didn't end up telling my mom until the following day.

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He had already told a select few people that he was going to do it. Since he proposed in Jamaica, I immediately FaceTime’d my mom after!
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

His best man. His dad was the only one knew he was proposing.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dave proposed in Loch Lomond Scotland (in front of a castle no less Smiley xd ) so we were completely away from all friends and family. We Whatsapped my parents right away so we could see their reaction and "show" them where it took place.

We spent the rest of the afternoon to ourselves and once we were back in Glasgow texted our best friends (I messaged the 5 girls who are now my bridesmaids and FH did the same with his future groomsmen). As for everyone else we sat on the news till we arrived back in London the next day, where his dad lives, so we could tell him in person and then did the quintessential Facebook news a day later.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I immediately told my best friend - who also ended up being my maid of honour.

He proposed at a cute little remote cottage, and before we went up I had told her I suspected he was going to propose. Because of that she and I had been talking all weekend anyway through text trying to figure out why he hadn't proposed yet! lol

Then I told my other three good friends (also my bridesmaids)

Then I called my mom - who cried a lot. I was going to wait till we were home but I couldn't wait and called her on the drive back.

Then my dad.

His mum knew he was going to propose before he did, but we didn't officially tell her till we were back.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He proposed to me in Mexico at 3:30am, so we had to wait a couple of hours before we could FaceTime anyone to tell them the news. Both my mom and sister get up very early for work, so it was about 5:30am in Toronto when I decided to FaceTime my sister.

I played it really cool and casual, acting like I was just checking in before we came home.

"Hey Diana, how are you and mom doing? Just checking in since we're coming home today."

(She's un-phased and continues to make her lunch)

"Soooo, remember how you told me not to get engaged while on vacation?"

(She told me not to get engaged since EVERYONE gets engaged on vacation)

The she proceeds to scream, run upstairs to my mom who's half-awake to tell her the good news. It was definitely the reaction I was hoping for from my family Smiley smile

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were on our friends wedding cruise. And our 2 friends were at the dinner table when he proposed (and a full very large dining room). When we left dinner all I wanted to do was find the bride (my good friend) and tell her. Ended up seeing 40 people of the 120 that were there. So a lot at once.

Family wise was my family friend i call mom, my 2 cousins (who are like sisters) from one of the islands we stopped at. When we got back to the US, FHs bro and sis in law, dad. Then his mom. And then my best friend.
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mom. Apparently, everyone knew it was happening except for me, so she wasn’t surprised.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    His mom and aunt I believe. I can't remember if it was them or my mom.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The first person I told was my mother! Smiley smile

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I called my parents! They live 4 hours away from us, if we lived closer, I would've gone to see them.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were at Butchart Gardens for the 12 Days of Christmas light display, with my mom and step-dad. He took me away in private to do it, so the first person we "told" was my mom, then my step-dad (he figured it out when my mom walked up to him crying).

The first person I called? Oh jeez... umm... my dad? Who immediately texted both my sisters... so that ruined me telling them. Then we called his parents.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you count people that were there with us, our friends who witnessed and took pictures of our engagement.

If you don't count them, then my parents and brother. I made a frantic phone call from Miami about 5 minutes afterwards lol.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He proposed after a 9 hour hike in torrential rain to a hut in the woods. We had planned a through-hike on the sunshine coast trail and my mom was set to pick us up from our exit spot the next night. Before I could even get in the car she noticed the ring and immediately asked about it 😂 I'd planned to tell her first anyway but she definitely stole my thunder with that one!!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom. She didn't even hear me when I first said we were engaged! So I had to say it again (which I was okay with!)

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My parents. I don't have any siblings, so the first call was pretty straight forward! Then we called his family and texted/called our closest friends. We finished the PR rounds with a joined instagram post.

• S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well, he proposed while we were at a friend's cottage so the first person we told was the friend who happened to be the first one we saw when we came back inside. Then everyone else. Then my parents. The phone calls went: parents, sister-in-law, brother 2, brother 3. Text messages went favourite aunt and uncle, then group message to my other aunts and my cousins.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There was no proposal and my parents were the first to know and husband's aunt soon after.
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We called my parents almost immediately. I really wanted them to be the first to know, since I'm their first child to get married, while my FH is the third in his family to do so.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well after I proposed he had to go ask my dad for permission to marry me... so in a way he told my dad first? Of course then my dad went and told my mom... so I didn't get to tell either parent... Which means the first person that I got to tell about my engagement would be my sister Taylor. At the same time both her and my best friend Nicole knew that I had planned on proposing but just didn't know that I had done it already.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics