Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Beginner August 2017 Ontario

Who to ask?

Stephanie, on March 5, 2017 at 14:41 Posted in Before the wedding 0 14

Ok so my dilemma . . . I don't have many friends or people I feel really close to that I would want in my wedding party. Or if I even want a wedding party . . . . My other half knows who else he wants to stand up with him, and I wondered would it be tacky or weird to ask the groomsmans wife to be my bridesmaid? Her and I don't know each other that well but have hung out together with our partners a few times. Thoughts? I have no idea what I should do.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on March 25, 2017 at 21:30
  • Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No, I don't think that's weird at all. I think the wives would feel honoured to be asked, I now I would if it was me. I found it very hard as well since I do not have a good close group of girlfriends either, so I asked my cousins, my future sister in law and FH's niece. I think there can be a lot of pressure to have a bunch of best friends as bridesmaids, but in reality, not everyone has that. Also, I went to a wedding where the bride and groom did not have a wedding party at all and just had two neutral witnesses sign the license. Hope this helped Smiley smile
  • Vicky
    Frequent user June 2018 Quebec
    Vicky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont have "goods friends" neither that I would want as my bridesmaids. I am also asking the groomsmens wife to be mines
  • Kalene
    Frequent user June 2021 Ontario
    Kalene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think its weird. I hadnt even met 3 of my bridesmaids when i asked them .. of course they are my nieces (marrying their uncle)
  • Jessica
    Frequent user June 2018 Saskatchewan
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont have much either. I have my sister and a friend from school but things are falling through with my friend. I asked my best friend whose a guy!! Hes not gay but super excited to be on my side. I figured thats all i need. The groomsmen will walk down alone i guess!
  • Jenn Snow
    Curious October 2018 Alberta
    Jenn Snow ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm only having my maid of honour stand up with me and that is it.
  • Jenn Snow
    Curious October 2018 Alberta
    Jenn Snow ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's ok to have an uneven number of people. Myself I am only having one person stand up with me. It's been harder for my fiancé to cut it down (but he had decided to only have a best man now) but I totally would have been fine with him having two and myself only having one
  • Stephanie
    Beginner August 2017 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I hear ya. I've felt the same. It looks like it would be nice to have so many there but it could be a hassle too. And I don't feel that close to that many people. Ultimately I decided on my future sister in law. She pretty much has her future wedding planned out and has a ton of ideas. Also my SO kind of voluntold a mutual friend that he's going to be on my side of the wedding party : D which he seems to be partial to. We'll see how it goes.
  • N
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Did you come to a decision? I'm in the same boat. I don't really have close girlfriends. We were thinking of opting out of a bridal party but then I wonder if we should have one person standing with us. I see all these brides and grooms with such a big party and makes me wonder!
  • Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Usually the best man and the MOH sign the licence as witnesses during the ceremony... You don't need a MOH if you don't want one or feel close enough to ask someone, that is completely up to you... If you think she would be weird to ask her to MOH maybe she could just witness for you instead.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Val and Melissa. I'd rather have nobody than somebody I didn't really know.
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm with Melissa! I would have no bridal party before asking someone I wasn't close with. You can always have a parent sign as your witness as well
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I decided to skip having a bridal party, and just have my sister as a signing witness.
    Personally, I wouldn't ask anyone you aren't close with to be a bridesmaid. I would pass on having anyone before asking people i don't know very well.
    Keep in mind, î is becoming common to have bride's men and uneven numbers, so you have more freedom to choose who you like without raising eyebrows!
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Here's another list:
    How to Pick Your Bridesmaids — 3 Foolproof Tips: One of the first monster-size decisions you'll have to make when you become a bride-to-be is about whom you'd like to have as your trusty, nonfussy crew of bridesmaids.http://www.popsugar.com/39940943
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I found this page that might help you make a list of pros and cons! Do you have a sibling, lifelong friend, cousin, aunt, grandmother, etc you would want to stand next to you? Or it could be a male friend/relative too, no reason not to switch things up! Or just not have a bridal party, if you want or don't feel it to be necessary. I don't think it would be tacky to ask your FH's groomsman's wife, but she might be taken by surprise, which isn't a bad thing, and could be the start of a beautiful relationship - do you think she would accept?
    6 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Choosing Your Bridal Party: Choosing your bridal party is no party.http://www.popsugar.com/41955268

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics