Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Who said "I love you" first?

Joey, on May 11, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 24

You or your partner - who was the first one to say "I love you"?

Who said "I love you" first? 1

Photo by Brilliant Events & Celebrations in Calgary

24 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on September 10, 2018 at 15:28
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband shortly after a few nights with me.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HAHA my fiance said it first - and I didnt say it back for the next week or so just because it came pretty quickly at the beginning of our relationship and I wanted to be sure that this was a man I wanted to be with long term before I said the 3 beautiful words.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé (boyfriend at the time) said "I love you" first. I said something insecure and he told me he'd "love" me regardless; I pretended I didn't hear it initially because I knew he slipped up! But he brought it up again later that day. Smiley tongue

• Mandi
    Curious April 2020 Alberta
    Mandi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was definitely me. Totally slipped one day when we were out. I had to wait a little longer to hear it from him but I’ll never forget hearing it the first time. Still remember exactly when he said it!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I accidentally let it slip once and then when he asked what I said I covered it up (so I guess that doesn't really count). He then said "I love you" when I went up to see him at his cottage and we hadn't seen each other in a week. I said it right back with conviction that time!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did! I said it to him on the phone one night before saying goodbye, and it took him 5 weeks before he said it back lol.

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He did. We were celebrating St. Patrick's day at a pub and i must have said something silly and he looked at me and said "I love you". I kinda froze and he said, "do you reciprocate?" and i said "Mhhhmmmm" But i was so caught off guard that i kissed him and just then my friend was about to be sick so i took her to the washroom and as we were going down the stairs i blurted out that he told me he loved me and we giggled like little girls. lol then when we got into the washroom, a whole bunch of girls "awwwww's" at the situation and i remember asking if it meant anything even though he was drunk. lol and we laughed. That night i knew i felt the same way. Next morning he pretended he didn't say anything, and then when i asked him if he remembered anything else he said, he asked what and i repeated that he asked me if i "reciprocated" and he didn't believe me lol. I told him that that word is NOT in my vocabulary and could not be making it up lol to this day we still laugh about it.

I told him a few weeks later in the morning in bed and when i tried to remember what date it was for the memory of it, i realized it was April 1st so i quickly continued with "April Fool's" but then laughed and told him i was kidding. I was very much in love with him. Smiley smile

• Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He did.. we were probably 7 months into our relationship, one day he was laying on his bed, and I was sitting on the floor beside him. Out of nowhere he says “I love you” and I’m just like “yeah okay”.. next thing I know, he’s holding my face and forcing me to look at him, his eyes were so wide and he very seriously repeated “ I love you” haha it was so cute and sudden, definitely took me off guard!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did. I was his first ever relationship so he took a little longer to figure it out than I did.
  • Alexis
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH said it first. We were about 3 months into dating and on a 5 hour road trip to meet my parents for the first time. I had done something goofy and he turned around and blurted out "that's why I love you". I wasn't sure if he meant it, if it was an accident, or just a saying, so I sat awkwardly silent the rest of the car ride. When we got to my parents, I asked if he meant it, which he answered yes (though it did accidentally slip), and I told him I was glad because I felt the same way. He still to this day, does not let me live it down.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He did! Took my breath away and when I could talk again I said it right back!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He said it. He already knew I wouldn't be the first to say it because of a previously horrible relationship. I didn't want to be that girl who just jumped right in and said it then scared him away lol

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He did! And I said it back right away!
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did.
    And then I tried to cover it up, like I was just throwing it out casually before the end of a call.🤦🏾‍♀️
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's funny we use to say it to each other a lot before we even got together, we worked together and would do hand gestures of I love you to each other all the time! After we got together I'm honestly not sure haha!
  • Sheilah
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He did. And it freaked me the hell out and I drove off. 😂
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We would tell each other "I like you, I really really like you" because we didn't want to blurt out the other 'L' word haha. He finally whispered it one night, but I didn't hear it. So there was an awkward silence, when I saw the horrified look on his face I asked "did you say something?". Let's just say that we laughed quite a bit about this one.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was at the point I thought I would blurt it out any moment. I had fallen head over heels for him almost immediately, and he took about 3 months to fully commit to the relationship (he had gotten out of a messy long term relationship)

One night, a few months after we had fully committed, we were lying on the couch watching a movie, and he kissed me and said it. I LITERALLY gasped like an idiot and forgot how to say anything. It took me a few seconds to say it back cause I was caught off guard. I totally thought I'd say it first!

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He did. It took me a few more weeks to be able to say it back because I was over-analyzing what I felt for him.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did first! It took so long for us to say it to each other, but once I said it, he responded right away with the same sentiment. It was a really great feeling!

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH said it first...i was scared to say anything because I had just gotten out of a very messy relationship that was full of deceit, lies and eventually cheating.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did -but he did....

Technically he said I love you to me when he was pass out drunk and he didn't remember it the next day, but a a couple months later when I felt the same I said it out loud to him.. well okay I said "I L word you" which to that he told me to say it fully if I mean it so that's when I fully committed and said "I Love You".

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He did! I’m high school we were in a spoof of the Office and we were supposed to be Jim and Pam. I missed a day of shooting and so they pretended like I was gone that day and we were talking on the phone and he ended it with “I love you, bye”. We watched it at our Christmas assembly and the whole school went “awwww”.
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance did. He texted me to say goodnight and snuck it in there. I called my best friend in a panic and halfway through my sentence I realized, "Oh, it's okay actually, I love him to!"

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics