Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Who is most strict about the budget?

Joey, on April 27, 2019 at 14:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 20

Who is the frugal one in your family? Whether it is the wedding budget or the household budget, who keeps an eye on the finances? Does one of you reign the other one in?

Who is most strict about the budget, you or your partner?

Who is most strict about the budget? 1

Photo by New Paramount Studios in Toronto

20 Comments

Latest activity by Gina, on May 2, 2019 at 21:57
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m the one who handles the finances when it came to the wedding and also the household. Unfortunately neither of us are frugal. Lol. We didn’t even have a budget for the wedding.
  • Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am!! He likes to think he is...he is pretty cheap, but he would rather buy something that's cheap quality because of the low price...but I'd rather buy better quality on sale...the way I do it, we don't spend a lot, but things last longer...he ends up buying the same item over and over because it breaks all the time. Drives me nutty hahahaha
    And he'll always say "oh well, just buy it, we can afford it" and I'm thinking "but I could make it myself for half the price!!!"
  • S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, both of us are equally as flexible and strict as we need to be in terms of our budget! While I'm doing the majority of "fleshing out" the costs of everything, we've done a good job so far of knowing what to be strict about and what to be flexible on. Nothing's been budget-busting so far!

• Claire
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Both for us!
  • Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He was all about the budget when we first started planning, but now that are within weeks of the wedding, I'm the one pinching pennies and cutting costs wherever possible!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

100% I am! I'm keeping the budget controlled and I keep all the household bills together.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am the more frugal one! It’s what was modelled to me by my parents and grandparents. I also went to university and was working minimum wage for a few years after so Ive always has to be frugal! We were good on our wedding budget-we managed to stay close!
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am the one who came up with budget. We have stuck to it, had some bumps along the way and this is due to vendors canceling. Its been hard to find another vendor of the same kind in the same budget. I have expressed this to the original vendors as it was guarantee in the contract.

• Chelsee
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Chelsee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We both honestly go back and forth on strictness, we don't have a budget budget per say, but were doing so many things together to keep it very simple and as cheap as possible.

Though most days he has to stop be from getting too carried away with decorations and whatnot lol

But in general we are on the same page when it comes to vendors!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m more strict because I am naturally a person who panics and my FH is so laid back. I’m tracking our spending on two apps and always cross referencing with our budget list.
  • Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Me! I am far too cheap not to be. 😂
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely my FH! I do have issues with impulsive spending sometimes lol

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Haha he would be if he knew how much I was spending 😂😂 We set a budget together but I've gone over by about 3k... were getting married in a month so I dont anticipate going over any further. He's the budget guy for everyday life and makes sure we dont overspend on everything not wedding related but he has no clue how much money wedding stuff costs and since it's multiple payments out of our bank acct and not one lump sum hes not keeping track.
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We set the budget together but since he was deployed I ended up doing most of the planning. So I made sure we stuck to it.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m more strict 😂 I have an excel spreadsheet and everything lmao
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly! He keeps seeing it as how I’m debt we will be, and we would have been better off doing a destination small wedding etc etc.
    His dad even told him to just enjoy the day and stop worrying about the money. Basically I keep telling him you only do this once, and we don’t have any debt and will make it through!
    I also have stopped attaching payments to things that need to be done. It makes things easier lol. But they will get there. FH also isn’t the type to get excited until like a few days before!
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely FH! We are both really good with our money, and are very savvy at savings. However, he is FAR more frugal than me, and only likes to spend money on items that can contribute to your equity so to speak. Except for travel, he and I both share a passion for that and know its worth it. So the wedding budget is a consistent budget topic right now, as he is baffled at how expensive things are, and while I have had sticker shock, I know it's all worth it in the end! The good news is, he keeps me in check from going over board (if we can't pay for it in cash, we can't do it) and I get him to have a bit of fun with his money now and then.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

THIS ^^. I feel like FH is currently just seeing the wedding as one big money sucking pit with no "asset" backed value. He has supported all of our choices, he loves the venue etc BUT it always comes with "but its so expensive, we could do so much more with this money" etc rather then seeing how wonderful of a day we will have. So now when I bring up the wedding, I just try to discuss fun moments in the day and avoid anything that has a bill attached to it. I am hoping that as we go and things get paid down he will get over it haha.

• Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We both keep and eye on the budget but we also both go over, lol.

I suppose one of us will have to take the reins as wedding expenses start to come up (we aren't getting married till next summer so we don't have any real expenses right now except for down payments).

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    FH keeps track of all our bills etc at home. But when it comes to money for the wedding I am keeping track of payments and the budget. He doesn’t want to have a big wedding and spend a lot of money, but I have let him know not to worry we are keeping it as low as possible! He is focusing too much on the money aspect of our big day instead of the day itself

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics