Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lydia
Devoted June 2019 British Columbia

Who do you pick as a witness?

Lydia, on January 22, 2018 at 13:38 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 21
Who are you picking to sign your marriage certificate as a witness?
I'm really at a loss about this part. I'm not sure about having a friend do it, cause I'd like it to be someone who's indefinitely in my life the rest of my life, I don't have siblings and I think you sorta should have someone who's about your age right?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on July 7, 2019 at 00:09
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both of us have best friends we have known since elementary school who are the BM and MOH. its just them in the wedding party and we couldnt think of two better people. they have been by our sides for so long and supported us when others didnt. I mean how many friends would call in to work 5 minutes before their shift to just be there beside you after your mom is dragged away by the cops and you have no one else. my FH was hanging out with his best friend when i called him then and i hadnt even met the guy and he told my FH they need to be by my side. I trust these two with my life and my future childrens lives (they will be the godparents) I dont trust many people. ive been burned too many times. but not by them

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It can be anyone. When you get married at the courthouse it's an employee who signs it. Just to give you an idea that there is absolutely no criteria logistically.. It's a personal choice. Of course I think most people want it to be someone close to them. Mine will be my brother. If you don't wanna ask someone in your wedding party (if you have one) what about a parent?

• M
    Alberta
    Misty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Can you change the name of one of your witnesses after the fact and add somebody else that was at the wedding?
  • Shannon
    Devoted June 2020 British Columbia
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For us it's the best man and man of honour. Even if we end up not staying friends until we're old and grey, we decided we would still look back on the happy times with those people and what a positive contribution they made to our wedding and our lives
  • Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My moh is my older sister, her oldest son will be signing as the witness he wants to be a part of the wedding. He is my forever car buddy, and wanted him apart of it as well.
  • Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow I hadn’t even thought of that! Yikes
    so glad you brought this subject up. Well I guess I’ll ask the two eldest kids but only if my fiancé is ok with that. Our children are in the wedding party. My kids all three are older than his two. Or should I be asking one of my brothers and wife? I don’t know the right answer.
  • Denai
    Curious June 2019 Alberta
    Denai ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it matters if they are about your age or not. I think whoever you decide to choose will be perfect because you chose them! I have three bridesmaids and they are all equally as important to me so it was hard to choose between the three who would sign for me and be my MOH, so I am not actually having a MOH.. but I just went off of who I have known the longest out of the three of them for deciding who would be the witness. Even if you have a close family member, they could sign for you! There are no rules on who can and cannot do it, they don't even have to be in your wedding party.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our BM and MOH are our best friends and they are signing as our witnesses
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We don't have a wedding party, so I've asked my best friend to be my witness. I "proposed" to her with a card that read : "Will you be my Witness?" and a bunch of goodies Smiley smile

• Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had the BM and MOH sign in.

The MOH is my sister-in-law, and the BM is my DH's best friend of 20+ years.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We also had our MOH & BM (Best Mans) each be signing the registar.
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My cousin and FH best friend!
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would have gone with my sister but sadly she would still be minor so she couldn't have done it. Instead I chose a high school friend that I didn't ask to be a bridesmaid.

FH chose his own sister as witness

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our MOH (My best friend) and BM (His brother) will be signing

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Usually the best man and maid of honour are your witnesses but you can pick whomever you like. They can be whatever relation to you or age. We had two of our dearest friends be our witnesses.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Have them do Rock Paper Scissors? It seems like a fair way to decide!

My MOH and Best Man will be signing ours.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is up to you who you want to sign. It does not have to be someone your age. My cousin's wife had her grandma as her MOH and her grandma signed as a witness.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    MOH and BM who happen to be 2 of our best friends anyways. And have been in our lives forever.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went with the best man and moh, who both happened to be siblings. You could have a parent sign if you wanted it to be a family member. If it makes you feel better, your marriage certificate doesn't even say their names on it and that's what you need for all your legal stuff (name change, etc.). you do get a little day-of certificate that's really just ornamental (can't be used for anything) that has their signatures on it, but honestly, I haven't looked at that since the wedding day!

• Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I do not have a wedding party so I chose my best friend to be my witness and technically my made of Honor. My fiancé isn't sure who he will pick, he has two brothers so it's hard to chose just one
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Typically it would be your MOH and Best Man who sign the certificate. But really it can be anyone!

I've definitely heard some people do not want friends signing it and only family. I've decided one one friends, one family member. Realistically, I don't think I'll ever really look back on the marriage certificate, look at the witness signatures and be upset one way or another.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics