Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shay
Frequent user February 2019 British Columbia

Who do you even ask to be a bridesmaid???

Shay, on December 30, 2017 at 02:29 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
I dont have many close girlfriends (or guy friends). I have my MOH decided, and potentially FH's sister in law. But he wants min 3 on each side. After a recent Major falling out with my best friend, I'm at a loss. I have a couple close(ish) friends that im considering..but is it appropriate if you used to be really close and now only speak on occasion due to schedules, or were close in university but again, now only speak on occassion? I am at a complete loss for how to procede. Anyone choose a bridesmaid like this and it actually work out well? I worry they wont be that into it.....

14 Comments

Latest activity by Vanessa, on January 9, 2018 at 21:13
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like some have said they have less on one side than the other. For us it took us about 3 months to decide (more FH) as he has way to many friends and I have my close few. I have fallen away from most of those I went to high school with and I also thought who would be the most helpful. When I first made my list I had a hard time picking a MOH. My FH was thinking between 2 for his BM and I had a choice potentially 3 but once we narrowed it down I believe we chose right. My brother was automatically on his list. We picked his 2 cousins as he is an only child. I have 2 best friends from high school. And than I have a friend from work who went on maternity leave in June and is also going to be marrying one of his best friends whose also on the wedding party. But I also thought of my cousin (whom i hadn't really hung out with in our later years but were close childhood friends separated by a family feud) and than another high school friend who moved 18 hours away for work but I see my friend from California whose already on the bridal party I didn't need 2.

• Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had a major falling out with my "best friend" from childhood when I met my now DH, and I didn't want to select bridesmaids just to have bridesmaids. I wanted my bridesmaids to be people that 10 years from now I still have a relationship with.

I had my (now) best friend, whom I love!

My DH's sister (because I'm an only child and now I have a sister!)

And my DH's best (female) childhood friend, who is amazing and so glad I met her!

I was worried that we wouldn't have an even amount on either side at first (in the end we did), but I realized that it didn't matter if that is what happened).

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your choice is whom you feel is important to you. Don't let the drama come into the wedding party. Know who will serve better as your bridesmaid to your best judgement.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you are truly great friends the distance will not matter. My two best friends and I live far apart (one in Calgary and one in South Korea) and though we sometimes go for a while without talking we always make sure to catch up and whenever we see each it's like we were all together just yesterday.

• Shay
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So true. I'm not so worried that I would regret it, but ill be moving out of province 10 months before we come back for the wedding and I don't think I want to take the chance that we would drift apart too much in the meantime. While I have been friends with these ladies going on 10 years, its a huge transitional time for all of us. Kind of a weird transitional time to be having a wedding with a huge move and degree graduation 😓 hahaha.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you really need people up there that love and support you and mean a lot to you. I ended up having 2 ladies while my husband had 3 guys. Nothing looks weird in pictures and they are people who really mean a lot to us. I wouldn't want to look at my pictures down the road and have regret that a certain person was involved and now I have to look at them forever.

• Jessica
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem lady!! ❤️
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love this idea!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Whoever you feel that you can rely on. A large part of your wedding party’s role is to help you with the planning and to support you along the way. If you feel like they won’t be there if you need them or have any doubts then maybe they aren’t the person for the job.
    I had a friend I wanted to ask to be my bridesmaid but she decided to go back to school and her exams would be right before my wedding so I didn’t ask her cause I knew that school would take priority (as it should) and she totally understood and agreed that she wasn’t the person for the job.
  • Shay
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! Thanks Jessica. I didn't even consider altering how we set it up. Thanks so much for your input! ❤😊
  • Shay
    Shay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thats kind of how I felt. Doubts are usually there for a reason, right? Smiley winking thanks for the input.
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your bridesmaids should be someone who you can really count on, you can trust and someone your close with. I have two really close girlfriends, my sister-in-law, and my two cousins. It’s okay to have an uneven number of bridesmaids on each side
  • Jessica
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I completely agree. I think it's more important to have the people you care most about standing up there with you, rather than making sure the numbers match. Because you don't want someone in your photos and memory that in a few years you won't ever see or talk to...that's what I think anyway. If you guys are worried about how the numbers will look for the photos some people just do an "I do crew" aka a combined bridal party and they can therefore stand on either side. So maybe something like that to shake it up a bit!! Anyways whatever you decide, remember to do what feels right for you. Best of luck!!
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you're having doubts then maybe you should hold back in it. Talk to your FH and explain that to him. My FH has 5 on his side and I have 4. You don't need even numbers. Just remember, who ever you pick will be a permanent part of your wedding memories forever, and you don't want anything to cause doubts and regrets. I personally, wouldn't ask them. Good luck! ❤️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics