Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Who did you share the engagement news with first - friends or family?

Lynnie, on October 9, 2017 at 10:39 Posted in Before the wedding 0 19

This week we're finding out more about your wedding guests!! Who's being super helpful, and who is bringing all the drama Smiley tongue

Who did you share the engagement news with first - friends or family?

Photo by l'orangerie photographie in Montreal

Photo by l'orangerie photographie in Montreal

>> Next question: Who has been the most helpful with wedding planning - friends or family?

To start from the beginning, click here: Friends or Family??

19 Comments

Latest activity by Kaisha, on December 5, 2018 at 20:33
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I tried calling my mom but she wasn't home so I told my dad. I made him promise not to tell and told my mom and sister the next day.

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH best man and his family and then mine. Then we made it public to everyone

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Family!! I had texted some friends after I called my family first!
  • Sonia
    Frequent user May 2019 Quebec
    Sonia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He proposed on st Jean (June 24th) and we had plans with our friends at night so for my parents we took a picture of our hands together on my instax and placed it on the ring box with a note saying “i said yes” and then we covered it with a paper saying”lift me” I love it because we caught their reaction on video since the doggy cam was on.
    I also texted his sister and we went to visit his parents and i told my cousins and then his friends noticed.
    After that we put a post on insta and told everyone
  • Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My older sister was the first. We got engagement on the day before Christmas Eve and my sister asked me straight out if I was engaged. I’m a bad liar lol
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Family first, he proposed when we were with my family on a mini-vacation because he knew that would be special for them. He earned brownie points forever for that move!

• Barbara
    Devoted July 2018 Ontario
    Barbara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We shared the news with our family first, my sister was the first i called
  • Dani
    Frequent user February 2018 British Columbia
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We shared it with our family that night and my best friend who is basically my sister (she knew he was proposing that night). Otherwise friends were told a few days later

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Both. My parents and his parents both knew he was proposing. The first person I told was a friend, but that was just because I saw her first. Then we went and celebrated with my parents and called family members.
  • Shaina
    Frequent user April 2019 Ontario
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Family. My sister and my mom first (who told my dad and other sister), then his parents, and my grandparents. But 5 of our friends know as well, nobody else does yet Smiley tongue
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We called all of our family members first to share the news. Then we put it on social media for our friends to see. I did however tell some of my closest friends before we posted it online as I was too excited to keep it a secret!

• Nicole
    Curious September 2018 Prince Edward Island
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both! First people I called were my parents and my sister, and then my two best friends.

• Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

After it happened, my FH didn't want me to be calling everyone that night since we were away in Banff enjoying us time. But I had to tell someone! I sent a pic of the ring to my mom and sister and said guess what happened! All my mom said back was about time.. lol!

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were in Jamaica, so I Facetime'd my mom and stepdad immediately after! Then we Facetime'd his parents, then my best friend. They all knew that he was going to do it on our trip, so they were impatiently awaiting the calls!

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Family found out first!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mum! Smiley smile

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    With my bestie!!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Immediate family first. Then close friends after. The next few days I sent out e-mails to relatives and other friends.

• Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The first person we called was his mom. We were seeing my parents later that night so we saved it for in person for them. One of my MOH’s was in on it already so we called her soon after, along with everyone else. Felt like it was 2 hours of phone calls!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics