Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leah
VIP April 2019 British Columbia

Who decides on the art that hangs in your home?

Leah, on December 18, 2018 at 15:13 Posted in Living together 0 20

Who decides on the art that hangs in your home - You? Your significant other? Is it a 50/50 selection process?

What's your favourite non-wedding photo photo/art in your home?

My FH moved into my apartment, and all of the art/photos/motivational sayings were already hanging. I've made a point of framing photos of his parents (deceased), and know that when we upgrade to a larger home in the near future, he'll have a lot more say in the selection process.

"This is your LIFE."Who decides on the art that hangs in your home? 1

(All of my art has sentimental value, but this is one of my favourites)

20 Comments

Latest activity by Dmitri, on March 21, 2024 at 06:08
  • D
    Newbie June 2024 Ontario
    Dmitri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds like you're navigating a shared living space and the dynamics of blending personal tastes in decor. It's great that you're considering each other's preferences, especially by incorporating meaningful elements like framed photos of your partner's deceased parents. As you plan for a larger home in the future, communication and compromise will be key in ensuring both of your styles are represented. It's a thoughtful gesture to give your partner more say in the selection process as you move forward together.

https://lux-house.ca/collections/shower-doors

• N
    Curious June 2023 Ontario
    Nelly+Raquel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In my opinion it would be 50/50
  • J
    Newbie December 2021 Kievskaya obl.
    Janice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am studying in Art school, so he has no choiceSmiley laugh
    Also, I have been writing an essay about Michelangelo
    https://studyhippo.com/essay-examples/michelangelo/

• C
    Newbie April 2023 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like I usually find the artwork but he has to like it too and help me decide where It is placed
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s a both of us decision. She gets the final day usually though
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance has two things he insists are hung up in our place, otherwise it is all me that decides but we don't really have much hung up anyways.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I can see your point since he has moved into your apartment. I think going forward you can find art that you both enjoy and have fun finding the right space to hang it. Most of our art is concert/festival posters that we went to together.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I get to pick most of the décor in our home lol. He doesn't care about it as much so he's fine with it.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re getting married in Victoria! Which reminds me - we’ll have to find a signature piece to bring home as a souvenir...thought in hindsight that would likely be our wedding photos 🤦🏾‍♀️😉
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Any choices to put pictures up is 50/50 based on space.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I’m more easy going with decor; I like a lot so it’s mostly my husband that makes the call since he is pickier than me!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mostly me. A few items were both of us. Not really anything that's just his... Except for his "Quickie's Pump & Polish" Tin Garage Sign that I got him a few years ago Smiley xd ....

Our favourite piece would probably be a spray paint painting we got/watched it be made at the Inner Harbour in Victoria the first summer we were dating. We thought it was so cool, and took it home and framed it... it was our first piece of art we got together.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mostly me, but he has put art up as well! When I moved in, he had very little art and we bought the first art piece for the house together at Ikea lol. Now with all the art we have, we need a bigger house!

My favourite piece is my brother's custom art. He's on the autism spectrum (Asperger's) and it was all anxiety-themed. It's neat knowing that this art doesn't exist anywhere else except my parent's house.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

its ALL me that decides what is up on our walls. hahaha

part of that is the majority that we have up is from my old house (I owned a house for a number of years before we bought together). the other part...FH is pretty chill and doesn't care.

the majority of our wall hangings are photos. up our stairs is all photos of friends/family/vacations. down our hall, is all photos of either photography/scenery that I have taken. or friends have taken.

but my most fav thing, which isn't art, is my customized shelves I have. I collect shot glasses (I have them from all around the world, every country, state I visit. from when I worked on cruise ships, family travelling etc). so my buddy made 2 of these for me. and they by far are my fav thing in my house.

custom shelfWho decides on the art that hangs in your home? 2

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided to not move in together until we get married (old fashion right?! lol) so he currently lives in the house we will be living in together once we get married, and he doesn't have any art hanging up! we usually like to make those decisions together though! its more fun.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's 50/50 in our place. We both brought in some artwork/framed pictures when we moved in together. So we spent a couple of months moving them around until we were satisfied with the overall look and feel.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I share a LOT of similar interested when it comes to decorations and art! We are both HUGE comic book fans and one of my favourite pieces I have hanging in my house I have attached a photo of! When we move in together this will for sure go somewhere good! We have a lot of other comic and gaming art that we will hang around (we have already decided our future nursery will be pokemon themed haha!)

Photos around for sure! Maybe a few more traditional home art pieces that you find in like... Home Sense, but mainly we will display how nerdy we are hahah!

We will also need to find some way to display our 200+ Funko Pop Vinyls....

Iron Man Canvas!Who decides on the art that hangs in your home? 3

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely a team effort for us, he really likes to have unique art. I love the idea of unique so most of our art is from local artists. These are our most recent additions.

40322350_2180705572213830_77538212267446

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think my fiancé is bothered particularly. It’s more like 90% me and he gets his 10% veto power if he doesn’t like something.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Right now we don't have any art or pictures hanging as we are still in the home renovations process. But when we do get to that step it will probably be a 50/50 type thing. Mostly with one of us asking about something and the other having the option to veto it if they have a valid point.

Most likely going to have just pictures of family though as I'm not much into art.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics