Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hailey
Curious September 2019 Ontario

White gold engagement ring turning yellow??

Hailey, on August 9, 2018 at 00:21 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 27
I just noticed today that it seems like my white gold engagement ring (Vera Wang) is turning to a yellowish gold on the underside (the palm of my hand, not where the diamonds are). I read online that it’s normal wear and tear, and may need to be replayed but my ring is less than a year old?? Has this happened to anyone often? And does getting it replated make it go back to the white gold appearance? I have the lifetime warranty on it from peoples and I’m not sure if it covers having it replated or not so I guess I’ll see. Smiley sad feeling bummed.

27 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on August 13, 2018 at 21:12
  • Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just sent my ring away yesterday to get this fixed! It's sad sending it away, but i'm so excited to get it back and have it looking like new again.

• Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Well said! Luckily my fiancé got the additional extended warranty. I’ve already used the warranty to get it sized, engraved, and rhodium plating. I think it was money well spent. Plus I brought it in for my 6 month diamond inspection. When you bring it in for the inspection the only thing do for you is clean it 🙂
  • A
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Ania ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The inspection is actually only for the diamond! The diamond bond covers only to supply a diamond if it goes missing, which they’ll only do if you are up to date with your inspection. If your fiance purchases the lifetime jewellery protection plan, that covers all the metal work like sizing, tightening prong, setting diamonds, rhodium playing etc. You can get that done anytime. It doesnt void. If your diamond bond was to be voided because you havnt been up to date with your inspections, then you will be charged to replace the diamond. The labour fee to set the diamond back in and tighten your claws will still be covered under the lifetime jewellery protection plan no mayter what. Diamond bonds and lifetime jewellery protection plans get mixed up all the time when I used to work there. It’s a lot of information all at once though so it’s hard to remember. If you are ever unsure, they’ll gladly walk you through your paperwork anytime if you ask. 😊
  • A
    Newbie August 2019 Ontario
    Ania ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Just so you know the inspection that you have every 6 months is actually to ensure that your diamond and prongs are in good condition so you diamond doesnt fall out. As long as you are up to date with your inspections, your diamond is covered free of charge. That comes free with your ring. The life time jewellery protection plan is the warranty your fiance probably bought which covers basically all the metal work such as your rhodium plating. Even if you didnt come for your inspection, you can still rerhodium your ring whenever you want. The inspection is specifically for the diamond, not the rhodium. So you can rhodium it anytime you want and as many times as you want. You dont have to wait for your inspection to send it off to get done. I used to work at Peoples for 5 years and this was a very common question!
  • Hailey
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s exciting! Sometimes I look at it and it makes me sad that it’ll never look as new as it did the first month lol
  • Hailey
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I’ve heard that hand samitizer is hard on it and I’m in nursing so I use a lot of it! Lol thank you! Just freaked me out and was hoping it was “reversible”
  • Hailey
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
  • Hailey
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! Was hoping that it was covered Smiley smile
  • Hailey
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, I’m in nursing so I’ve heard the constant hand sanitizer is why it would be doing it so soon! Thanks Smiley smile
  • Kaye
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Kaye ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thats normal I get my ring rhodium plated every 4 months or so because I work in a warehouse its really rough on the jewelry. Thats what extended service packages are for Smiley winking
  • Stephanie
    Newbie August 2018 Saskatchewan
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Same thing happened to me. I did talk to People's and they said that having it recoated is covered under warranty. I haven't gotten it done yet, but I'm confident that it'll look good as new. Smiley smile

• Hailey
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep, I am getting my inspection this week! Your warranty package will say which month you have to have it done in. They didnt do it when I took it in February but maybe they will now that its changing

• Stacee
    Newbie August 2020 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Stacee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I also have a Vera Wang from People's Smiley smile Just a little note that in order to not void the warranty, you need to bring it in twice a year for inspection. My ring is only a month old, and this is what they told my fiancé. They would usually do the rhodium dipping then I would think?
  • Zinnia
    Newbie July 2019 Yucatán
    Zinnia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The reason why your white gold turned yellow on the underside it’s because of the rhodium plating coming off. Many white gold rings are sent for rhodium plating because gold is naturally yellow, and they make white gold buy alloying the yellow gold with nickel (which makes it white), but it still has a yellow tone to it after it’s alloyed. And people rhodium plate it to give it a whiter look. I am a jeweller myself and I didn’t plate my white gold ring because I like the warmer white than a cold tone gold white ring. Also in my opinion, platinum is softer than 14k white gold, and can change shape and doesn’t hold its polish as good as 14k white gold.
  • Petra
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Petra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As far as I remember, peoples does cover it as my ring is from there too. They told me it can happen within the first couple months, years etc. It depends on how much you wear it, if you hands sweat, and simply how your body is made. They used the term “re dipped” to make it white gold again Smiley smile
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I do not have a white gold ring so I do not have this issue. I do however tend to "eat" certain metals making it hard to wear a lot of jewellery. My ring needed to be at least 10k gold or my body would eat the finish.

• Hailey
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you so much everyone, I was so worried it wouldn’t ever go back to the way it was even with replating it so I definitely feel better about it now!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As most have said! You'll have to get the white gold "re-dipped" as the white gold is just a coating over yellow gold. Can be a pain but if you have lifetime warranty it should cover! Just annoying to send out the ring to get it done it takes a while...
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahhh that makes sense. Yes I did it a few months ago and the also engraved it too and when I got my ring back after 2 weeks it literally look brand spanking new.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Totally normal, this happens to me too. I wish I had known about it when I first got the ring because it is kind of a pain. If I want mine to look vibrant I have to get it redipped at least every year (which is why it has been looking like a yellow gold ring for about two years now!!). Some people's skin reacts with the metal and they need their redipped often (like me!) while some people (like my parents) literally never have to have theirs redipped.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s awesome then! And definitely worth it. That’s probably why they never said anything to my FH. Lol. You definitely have to pay where we got my ring, which is probably why they tell you right away.
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Peoples actually have lifetime warranty that covers this. Rhodium playing done whenever needed. I have used it before.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unfortunately white gold is a pain. I went to pick my ring with my FH. We were told that we have two options for white gold. If we get 14k white gold then we will need to get it re-plated every year. Or we could get 18k white gold and it never has to be re-plated. Obviously we with 18k because it pays for itself Eventually when you’re not paying for re-plating. Well, it’s been 7 months and I have tiny scratches at the back of my ring, so that part of the gold doesn’t look shiny anymore. You can’t see the gold at the front of the ring, so it’s not that big of a deal, but it’s still kind of a bummer. FH originally bought my ring from peoples (he canceled and we went somewhere else) they never told us about the white gold and needing to get it re-plated. I don’t think any stores cover it, so it’s a yearly cost, albeit not a big one. I do like the look of freshly rhodium plated rings lol. They always have this amazing look to them.
  • Hailey
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I was really concerned and wasn’t sure if it was reversible or if it’ll just be yellow forever!
  • Hailey
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely! I didn’t notice until yesterday and was super concerned when I did Smiley sad have a great wedding!
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You have nothing to worry about. Just take you receipt with the warranty to any people store and they will take your ring and do a rhodium cleaning. They will add a layer of white gold. You will have to give the ring in for 2-3 weeks as they have to send it out. They don’t fix things in the store so they will mail back to manufacturer to get repaired. You can also ask the rep if this is normal if you AR entitled to a replacement. I doubt it but doesn’t hurt to ask. Good luck.
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This happened to me within the first year. I am getting mine dipped next week before the wedding to brighten it up. Eventually I will change the band to platinum. Super disappointing non the less - especially when it looses that pristine silver look

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics