Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Abbie
Devoted June 2022 Nova Scotia

Which vendors count towards your guest count?

Abbie, on January 8, 2021 at 14:42 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 23
Hi all!

I was plotting my guest list and wondering if we want to keep it at a 50 person wedding, how many guests does that leave us?
Obviously subtract 2 for myself and my fiancé, subtract 1 (+assistant?) for photographer....does your officiant count towards your guest list?
Would love any feedback Smiley smile

23 Comments

Latest activity by Abbie, on January 23, 2021 at 20:10
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Sarah! Smiley smile
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on your venue. I’ve heard some do not count vendors and I know mine does. Which is weird because it should be based on whatever laws are put in place. But def check with your venue
  • Rikki
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Rikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My pleasure! Happy to help. 😊 Since I work in this area I do have some first had experience in covid weddings in Niagara!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!! Smiley smile

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is really good to know - and very helpful if that's the same in my region! Thank you!! Smiley smile

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was wondering about that! Because a 50 person guest list starts looking a lot smaller once you factor in vendors Smiley surprise Thank you!

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I did not realise that! I wonder if it's different out here....I will have to check it out - thank you!

• Kristen
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In Ontario a paid professional vendor does not count as a guest (even if you’re feeding them). They follow different rules and regulations than the guests. The example I was given by my wedding planner was that they don’t count anymore than the servers and staff at the venue
  • Rikki
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Rikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In Niagara Ontario, vendors do not count towards your 50 guest count (in that stage). This of course may be different in other areas but I do coordinate weddings at a venue here and the photographer, DJ and planners do not count in the 50 total (bride, groom and guests only). Even nurses who may need to help older guests would not count either.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think others vendors that haven't been mentioned - DJ (if you're having one), photo booth attendant (again- if you're having 1), I don't think catering / wait staff count but I'm not too sure to be honest.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Vendors counted as guests apart from the guest list itself.

Videographer

Photographer + Assistant (if counted)

Officiant (only if invited as guest)

Wedding planner/Day of Coordinator

Vendors: 5 total

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That makes sense! And most likely formal portraits would be done by that time so probably wouldn’t really need assistants by then anyways Smiley smile
  • Daniela
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yup! That makes sense Smiley smile if you are tight on room I would recommend cutting the assistants. My photo and video person were understanding and just told their assistants that they were done before the dinner portion. It saved us money and allowed us to have 2 more people!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Hank! ☺️
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not at all since not all weddings need one. I personally would hire one but only if we're doing the thing we originally set out to do. If we're only at 50 people and there's no reception or dancing, then I wouldn't bother. I just mentioned it in case you had one and needed to include them.

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We weren’t planning on having a wedding coordinator - are we crazy? 🙈
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh good - that makes me feel a lot better! It seemed a bit odd to have them stick around but I didn’t want to discount them if normally people offer them dinners. Thanks! Smiley smile
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't forget wedding planner/day of coordinator. Essentially, anyone you hire outside of the venue who needs to stay through the dinner service needs to count in your head count to the kitchen. All staff of the venue will be taken care of by their on-site manager at no expense to you.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think unless they know you and are particularly close to you personally, most treat it as a job and feel no obligation to be invited to the reception. A lot of officiants also work multiple weddings a day so after they're done with you, they may dart it outta there to hit up another one. I know if I were an officiant, I would rather be comfy at home or out with friends then a dinner party with strangers. And if you invite them, do they get a +1?

I've only known one instance where the officiant joined the reception and that was at my future brother in law's wedding but his officiant is also a close friend who offered his officiant services for free.

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Daniela - that’s a helpful rule to go by! So, assuming the caterer and staff wouldn’t be eating at the reception (I’m guessing they provide their own food?), vendors I would have to count “in” would be photographer, videographer, DJ, plus any assistants?
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Hank! I’m actually asking more from a logistics POV not Covid, sorry I didn’t make that clear! But you did answer my question in a way - Is it not expected that you provide dinner for the officiant?
  • Daniela
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My venue was a government agency which meant they were much more strict in certain regards than private venues. Their rule was if they are eating, they count towards the guest count, if they are not (like the staff) they do not count.

So photographers, any assistant, DJ, etc counted, which is why we cut the photo and video assistants for the dinner portion. They left right before dinner and we made it work.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In Ontario, the officiant definitely counts toward the gathering limits. But we're also not allowed to have receptions at the moment. Even when we did, the gathering limits differed for the ceremony and reception. Obviously for a reception the officiant wouldn't count (unless you invited them to stay and eat).

I suggest checking your local city's bylaws and covid updates from your health unit.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics