Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lucy
Frequent user July 2019 Ontario

Where to keep your dress before the big day?

Lucy, on March 3, 2018 at 17:46 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 22

I was curious about what usually happens with dresses prior to the wedding day. The dress I'm leaning towards only takes 2 months to arrive after ordering. I'm getting a few alterations done, but it's probably going to be ready about 12 months before I need it!

Do you leave it at the store and go back just before the big day for a final check and pick up? Do you take it once the alterations are done and bring it back for a final fitting the month before? Should I just not order it until closer to when I need it?

What did you do with your dress?

22 Comments

Latest activity by Jodi, on March 16, 2018 at 17:41
  • Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I stash mine at my inlaws house- they live close to us, keeping it away from the prying eyes of my FH

• Janine
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Janine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I took mine home because I wasn't getting alterations with my store. Most places will hold your dress till close to your wedding day. Right now it is hanging on the back of my bedroom door cause I have no closet space to store it, opaque bag so fiance cannot see it when he is over.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My dress just came in and there is a 100% chance I'll try it on every chance I get lol 😊
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When I bought my dress I took and and still have it at home Smiley smile

ill take it to to the store for the alterations and it will stay there till a few weeks before my wedding. When ready, I’ll being it back home again Smiley smile

dont tell anyone but I even wore it one evening that I was alone at home Smiley smile
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I ordered my dress and once it arrived, left it at the store until my fitting. After that I had my mum store it for me as 1) we live in an apartment and don't have a lot of space; and 2) I didn't want him to see it or me be tempted to put it on.

• Cindy
    Curious November 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Same, he knows better than that, and if he does get curious and peeks he knows he will ruin the surprise for himself. Smiley xd Smiley tongue Most of my friends and family memebers already seen my dress too.
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine is in my closet. I had planned on storing it at my friends house but wanted to stare at it 1000 times so I kept it. My fiancé HATES ruining surprises so I know he won’t look! I won’t have alterations for a few more months
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm probably going to keep mine at my aunts house (I would keep it at my moms but she has a cat that has the tendency to pee on things).

• J
    Newbie July 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Judyanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine is in my closet. I know my fiance won't peak.
  • N
    Beginner August 2019 Alberta
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm storing it at my parent's basement once I receive it. That way I stop looking at it, and fall in love again with it when I see it on my wedding day.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine has been at my mum's house for the last few months!

• Ashley
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I purchased my dress in July the same month we got engaged 🤣. The place I got the dress from is storing it for me now but I will be picking it up in June for alterations then it will probably live at my moms until the wedding day.
  • Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'll be storing it at my parents place until the big day. I think it's worth checking with the store if you don't have anyone local to hang onto it.
  • Elizabeth
    Frequent user June 2018 New Brunswick
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mother is keeping the dress at her house. I'll keep it there until the day of as she's already seen it and so has my MOH who is my sister, so nobody will be able to snoop to find it that way Smiley smile we're getting ready in a hotel and spending the night before there, I will be bringing the dress in the night before and putting it in the room with me and my MOH and my closest bridesmaid, though the bag isn't see through- so nobody should be able to see it before I put it on the day of.

• Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The store where you purchase it may be able to store it. The place where I got my second dress charges money for that. I will likely store mine at my mommy's house as that is also where we are getting ready. As another girl mentioned my fiancé is all about the surprise so I know he won't go snooping around by moms lol
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The store I purchased my dress at, was willing to keep my dress for me, and will be keeping it until the last few days of the wedding.

I understand though that most stores want you to take it, so I would suggest finding a place to store it either in your own house or someone else's.

For sure order it, in case it gets discontinued or the time for making it becomes longer.

Wait until at least 3 to 4 months before getting it altered. My store wouldn't let me do any alterations until 2 months before so just depends on what needs to be done.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Once my dress is ready to be picked up I am keeping it at my MOH because she lives right near our venue and she has the extra space so it won't be crowded in my closet lol. Plus my fiancé can't sneak a peek if it's not here
  • Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When I get my dress it will be at my sisters house and will hang with her dress.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's at my parent's house hanging in my sister's closet haha less likely FH will accidentally stumble upon it

• Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a 3 bedroom townhouse. One of our spare rooms is my exercise room and he never goes in it. So my dress is in the closet in there. He has no desire to see it before the big day so I know he won't peek!
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have mine in a garment bag at my parents house. I'll be pulling it out this week for my first fitting. My wedding is in April.

Every once in a while i'd try it on again when i was at my parents house. Hard to resist. I got mine end of November last year and have been storing it since then.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I ordered my dress about a week ago and it will be coming in March 22nd, this year! I'll be taking it home until I'm ready to get alterations. The wedding is June 2019 so I've got plenty of time. I'll just leave it in my closet, taunti my fiance lol I know I will be tempted to try it on all the time but I think I'm able to hold back. I'd definitely suggest waiting till about 4 months or so before the wedding to get alteration done. Then just leave it in your house or parents house. Where ever you feel safe leaving it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics