Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Newbie June 2020 Alberta

Where to cut costs and save some major coin?

Vanessa, on March 12, 2018 at 02:01 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
Hey ladies! So my wedding budget is 25 thousand and even tho we are spending less then a thousand on the photography and wedding video. It seems that we are still hitting the 22 thousand mark! I budgeted everything out and I don’t know where to cut costs. I have a friend making the cake so we’re only paying 200 for that and we’re making our own centrepieces and decor! I would love to hear how some of you cut costs! My venue is 12 grand and that’s what’s most expensive, and we have to supply our own liquor! (Toonie bar) to help recover some to the cost! Any ideas??

9 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on March 15, 2018 at 11:39
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you aren't set on the cake idea then you could cut that out, 2nd hand pre-made center pieces, reduce guest list, 2nd hand dresses, see if anyone you know can do your alterations for the dresses for free or cheap.

• Emma
    Beginner October 2019 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Any one in your family in either side have a huge social network that may be able to help? We are doing and all inclusive type venue and we just learned we can get a cake and cupcakes for only 200 thank s to a family friend and we have a photographer willing to help for Free! Also wedding favours? Try something edible. We are literally going to Costco to buy a coffee we both love and put the beans in a little bag! DIY HELPS BIG! One tip my vendor said is they have basic items of decor that they include and to use any aisle decorations as center pieces so you don't up your floral budget! Hope this helps
  • Jessica
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing free evites and online rsvps linked to our free website through JOY! Invitations can get crazy expensive (especially if you have a big wedding) and rhey just end up in the garbage (hopefully recycle) anyways! What a waste!

If you guys are supplying your own booze obviously watch for sales and I would also suggest getting your own wine made. That can save you a lot! Especially if you enlist family and friends to save their used wjne bottles that you can reuse! Just make sure they rinse them (NO SOAP!!) and let them dry upside down if you want to use them.

Good luck!!
  • Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I need on on this too! Lol keep the tips coming ladies. I just had a meeting with my planner and although I'm not as brave to post my budget let's just say it got out of control quickly and I have lots of deposits down. My fiancé never should have given me control! And I'm usually so good with money Smiley cry
  • Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I saved money on my invites.

I went through Vistaprint and waited for a 50% off sale. I also did e-mail RSVP's.

I wouldn't get down on the photography, that is something that stays with you forever.

Are you including your dress in that price?

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Make your own music playlist and just run it through the venue's sound system instead of paying a DJ, do all the decor yourself, less people will also save you.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ultimately, the more people you have the more money it will cost. What is your guest count? If you can eliminate several people that certainly helps, don't forget that not everyone will be able to attend, so that automatically cut costs. We lost about 50 guests so that was a huge relief on our overall budget.

I did wedding invites with Vistaprint (very cheap and quick) and did RSVPs online to eliminate all the extra stamps and paper I needed to get printed (RSVP cards, info cards etc...)

Small things start to add up, so seeing what you can eliminate would help cut costs.

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I saved alot on venue because we opted for cash bar. That way we eliminate guests drinking too much and we don't worry about the cost afterwards. Our invitation we found a company that's reasonably price and we picked our invite that are on sale section. We didn't have to do the rsvp card as we are using the website here for that. So that cut the cost.
    If you try and find vendors that has promotions or doesn't charge tax it'll save as well. Kijiji and facebook wedding group buy and sell is another great sources to find decors or even vendors.
  • T
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Evites vs real invitations as the invitations themselves and stamps add up. Plus you have to wait for all the darn rsvp in the mail where we evites are instantaneous.
    Buy as much decor as you can and resell through varagesale or fbook wedding groups.
    Guest list , maybe just invite some people to the reception.
    Research other venues ? Just an idea but I know that’s a hard one.
    Change the menu to something less expensive?

Its so hard to give suggestions as every bride is different and my top five must haves will be different from yours. My advice is for you and your FH to sit down and chooses your top five most important things and focus money on those things and mane let the other stuff go a bit. Best of luck Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics