Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Newbie August 2023 Alberta

Where do our guests go?

Riana, on May 7, 2019 at 22:29 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6
We are having trouble figuring out where our guests should go when they arrive at the venue. Weather permitting, the ceremony will be outside, beside the reception hall. Should we have the doors to the hall closed and put up a sign to point people in the direction of the ceremony, and then after ceremony open up the doors so people can go in, sign the guest book, and drop off cards and gifts? Or should we have the doors open so people can drop off gifts and cards before the ceremony, and let people go inside and walk through to the deck and patio and outdoor seating?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on May 8, 2019 at 19:26
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For the most part, I have always seen signs leading to the wedding or event held at restaurants or venues with the hall name or letter.

Other weddings I have attended have had the doors closed until the staff opened the doors for the guests to enter the reception.

Our reception area had 2 entrances to get drinks at the bar and enjoy the patio. The main door that connects to the ballrooms hallway and the breakfast area had the gift table with the money box and name cards.

You arrange how the entrance should be and if your getting pictures with your husband beforehand in the reception area. That's when you choose to keep the doors closed and then get back to the bridal room after and make your entrance.

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Riana,

I would go for the signs and ask your venue coordinator where they normally have them set up. Your card box should never be left unattended. I had a close family member bring it with them when the ceremony was about to start and bring it to the reception when guests sign the guestbook. After everyone is seated, your card box should either be locked up or taken to the table with whoever you’ve designated as responsible for it.

• Stephanie
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be in a similar situation.
    I will add signs to my to do list, lol and add it to the questions for our vendor. I don't want people being distracted by the tables and hanging out inside instead of being outside.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The signs are a good idea! I would ask the venue and see what they normally do. You don't want people walking around inside the reception area and then lose track of time and miss the ceremony, or walk in late.

But if you keep them open you for sure want someone to keep an eye on the stuff that you have out (cards, pictures etc)

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Becky - but make sure that you have somebody you trust watching the card area and somebody to lock up before the ceremony or to bring the cards with them. You don't want to leave them unattended!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HI Riana,

Welcome to the wedding wire community!

I would recommend the signs regardless, I went to a wedding where they had the same setup. They left the doors open in case people wanted to use the washrooms before hand and for older people needing shade until ceremony started. People know the start time of the ceremony and if some are strangling then then some guys can go grab them in time.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics