Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Newbie August 2023 Ontario

When to start buying things for wedding?

Emily, on June 27, 2021 at 15:16 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8
I just got engaged about 2 months ago and ever since I've been super excited to start planning, buying things and looking into everything but im not sure when the right time to start buying and planning is, my wedding isn't until august,2023

8 Comments

Latest activity by Rebecca, on August 20, 2021 at 11:00
  • Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you have the space to store things and the price is right go for it!!

its never too early heck im getting artificial flowers and will probably be buyin them this year rather than 2023

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations and welcome. I think if you have the space you could start buying things whenever you like. I started buying two years before but I have an entire room that I can use for decorations and whatever I get. I only bought something if it was a great sale (black Friday or a must have marketplace find). That being said, some things I've changed but luckily it didn't impact what I had already purchased. I decided to change my wedding colour from red to purple. So if you have a clear idea of what you really want and know you won't change go for it. It'll save so much stress later.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats on your engagement Emily and welcome to WeddingWire! The time you have for now is best to book vendors now for your date confirmed. A year and half in advance is good to start making your purchases along with the cake booking and tasting. I did have 18 months planning which the favour were bought since they were not going to be in stock anymore. Some of them got mold from the outer box and weren't good to give away.
  • Megan
    Frequent user July 2023 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey! I'm July 2023 and got engaged a few months ago. I am like you and wanted to get started right away. I'm trying to hold off buying too much "stuff" like decor because I don't want it sitting in my basement for years lol. But that doesn't mean you have to wait to plan until a year out. We booked our venue/caterer already and now we are slowly working on other vendors. Some, like photography you may be able to book now and may want to. Others may not be booking into 2023 yet. Also doing up your guest list is a great way to start, it doesn't have to be final at all but it will give you something to do and give you an idea of how many people you are looking at. Good luck!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to Weddingwire!

Personally, I would hold off on buying anything until at least 2022. At the very least, figure out what kind of wedding you want to have first, including your budget, the size of the guest list, venue (outdoor vs indoor, staffed hall vs private property), formality (casual vs formal), party type (eloping vs cocktail vs sit down dinner) etc.

With two years to go, you also have the major advantage of hitting each upcoming holiday sale like Black Friday, Boxing Day, Valentine's Mother's Day, and Father's Day twice before you wedding, which can net you quite a bit of savings on things like bridal and groom accessories, jewellery, clothes etc.

Unless you have a ton of storage space, consider that anything you accumulate will take up valuable real estate in your living space for another 24+ months. If you have a giant house with a walk in storage, that may be fine but if you're in a condo and all you have is a den and locker, you probably have better use of the space than a bunch of knick knacks you won't touch for another two years. Not to mention, unless the stuff you get is timeless, things can really looked dated in two years time. And needless to say, certain things like foodstuffs or cosmetic products can also expire.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats on the engagement!!! And welcome to wedding wire!! I got engaged in 2017 and started buying stuff right after since we had already talked what colors and such we were wanting for our wedding In 2020. We since have had to postpone twice only because of covid and august 2022 is hopefully go for us. All of our decor and such have just been sitting in our basement until we have our wedding I don't think it's too early to start buying things for your big day!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations on your engagement! I got engaged December 2020 with a May 2022 wedding. I started buying things almost instantly! First thing I bought was thank you cards, they were on clearance for super cheap!

I'd say for now srart buying things that you are 100% sure you will need and your opinion won't change on
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Emily 👋🏾
    Congratulations 🎉 on your engagement! Super exciting! We have the similar theme! 👏🏾👏🏾

You can start reviewing your options and ideas of what’s of interest to you and maybe approximately 10 months out before your day. Once you work out the major parts of your wedding such as venue and guests numbers. Maybe you can then get into all decorations. My wedding is in October of this year and I have yet to buy my decorations or diy them. Hahaha! I’m normally more organized but because of covid, I was just staying low on the purchase of anything. So anytime works really.
    You have any ideas on what you would like it to look like?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics