Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kaitlyn
Beginner August 2020 New Brunswick

When to send invitations?

Kaitlyn, on September 16, 2019 at 09:43 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
We’re getting married in New Brunswick (Canada) but we have a fair amount of family coming from Ontario. Would this be considered a “destination wedding” (send invites ~8 months before wedding) or not (send invitations ~4-6 months before wedding)? *We aren’t doing save-the-dates to cut down on cost/paper use.Thanks girls!

14 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on September 18, 2019 at 16:44
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Send e save the dates. people may want to make a trip out of this or need to save money or find childcare or take time off work. i would def send invitations early!!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Canada invites should be sent out 4-6 months beforehand since you don't need more time than that for guests to receive them. Destination would be 8 months prior if its set in another country.

I made the mistake of sending out the invites 9 months ahead and some family lost their invites asking to get it sent by WhatsApp or by text. You don't want to have to deal with that issue, giving a heads up. We too didn't do Save the Date either.

• Mackayla
    Newbie August 2022 Alberta
    Mackayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely send those out right away. To cut paper costs you could always do e-invites or use your wedding website as a invitation. Definitely would get to your guests faster. And you’d get a rsvp faster. It worked like a charm for me! Best wishes
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Send those invitations out ASAP. You need to give people the opportunity save up money, book off time accordingly, and make arrangements in case they're not bringing their kids/pets. We had several OOT guests and we sent out STD's out about 9 months in advance.

• B
    Frequent user July 2020 Saskatchewan
    Brett ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s my wedding day too!
  • Tina
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sort of in the same situation. Getting married July 25, 2020, planning to send the invites out in early April and Save the Dates really soon. So invites are going out 3 1/2 months before and Save the Dates about 10 months out. About half our guest list is from out of town.

I wouldn't send invites this early, just Save the Dates. You can do online ones for free - design them in Canva or photoshop or even Publisher, and send them via email. They don't have to be fancy or anything.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

By the definition of destination wedding, I don't think it qualifies, but, if you have the majority of people coming from out of province or a significant distance, you could treat the invite timeline like it is. That is what I am doing were literally 95% of our list is out of province and the majority of them will have to fly to get here.

Gives people time to book rooms and flights...especially in our case where there is usually a tourist-y festival or two around the date our wedding is on. Things can fill up fast.

• K
    Newbie May 2020 Ontario
    Kaitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I sent out an email save the date with a link to our wedding website. They have to rsvp on there anyway and it reassured us that everyone who needed to know in advance could ask questions and plan accordingly. I hope this helps and good luck!
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would suggest sending them as soon as possible. I'm not doing a destination wedding but my bridesmaid advised me to send them pretty early. I sent mine a little under a year before ours. Especially since ours is a very popular date.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would have your family spread the word to the ON guests your wedding date and location (NB) and then send invitations out at the 6 month mark.

• Shauntay
    Beginner October 2019 British Columbia
    Shauntay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The more time the better. I sent mine out in May I think? And our wedding is in October.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would call something a destination wedding if everyone has to travel for it.

That being said, so long as your ON guests know in advance (maybe through conversations with family, etc.) when your wedding is, you can probably just send them at the 5-6 month mark. Alternatively, you could send the ones out earlier for any guests that would have to travel in for your big day?

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If your family from ON knows you are getting married in NB, they really wouldn't need their invites 8 months out.

I think if you send them out maybe 5/6 months ahead of time, you will have enough time to chase people if you haven't heard back!

You also want to get them out before people start planning their summer vacations, or any important summer plans!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't consider it a destination wedding unless it was outside of Canada - but that could just be me... so ignore that...

My wedding invitations (first wave of invites) were sent out at the 6 or 5 monthish mark and then again at the 3 month mark.

I would say to aim for the 8 month mark and then that way if you run into problems you have a couple more months in which to send them out!

Best to send them out sooner rather than later especially because idk about there in NB or ON, but camping spots for the summer are booked in early spring and you wouldn't want people to end up losing money if they had booked a site the weekend of your wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics