Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Newbie September 2022 Ontario

When to postpone September 2021

Brittany, on January 13, 2021 at 20:33 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
Hi everyone.

Currently in the midst of planning our wedding for Sept 2021 (being hopeful) that being said with restrictions being so back and forth I don't know where I stand. I want a Sept 2021 would be my dream. The thought of waiting any longer then that hurts. My fiance and agreed from the start that we did not want a long engagement and that we both wanted to get married before starting our family. That being said with the restrictions of number of guests ( we were planning a small list to being with of 75max), no dancing, masks and limit on how long the reception can be there would be no way that it would feel right for me.I know the whole ceremony and reception are just material things but for me I don't feel like I would feel married without those. Thoughts? If so when would I annouce the postponing?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on January 30, 2021 at 22:52
  • Sarah
    Newbie August 2022 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am in the same boat as well - Aug 28, 2021.. seeing the new Alberta relaunch plans gutted me and my fiance... I just personally don't think we will get from step 1 to step 4 in a matter of 7 months... We will wait to see in April of where the restrictions are at that point... If things haven't changed - keep in mind we are also seeing new strains being introduced into Alberta (Ugh Smiley sad ) we will be post poning... We want a big wedding to be able to socialize/dance with friends and family with one event... Doing a small ceremony and then a... Party later down the road is not in our plans... Smiley sad If the restrictions are able to accommodate 50 guests (ceremony plus reception that is something we may consider too..)
  • Caitlyn
    Frequent user September 2021 Alberta
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our wedding is September 3rd in Canmore and I was a bit freaked out by the new restrictions because I honestly can't remember when the last time our hospitalizations were below 150. I spoke to my fiance, and like Christiana mentioned, if the majority of the elderly or immunocompromised population has been vaccinated then we should see a decrease in overall hospitalizations. Between the most at-risk getting vaccinated plus summer months (where case numbers were lower in our province), I truly believe we will be okay for our September weddings.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think if the majority of people 60+ are vaccinated before the summer it's highly likely Alberta will be below 150 hospitalizations by September. Remember that most people requiring hospitalization and ICU care are elderly and people in long term care and assisted living are high priority for vaccination as well as other elderly people. If only younger people are getting sick the hospitalization rate will be much lower.

Hopefully you'll have a better idea of when you should move phases by late spring/early summer.

• Rachel
    Frequent user September 2022 Alberta
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our province just released a restriction update and I'm starting to worry. We have to have 150 hospitalizations/day or less by September or we will have to postpone. Very disheartening.
  • Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Brittany!
    We were Aug 6, 2021 ( originally twice postponed in 2020) and we just postponed again yesterday to June 18, 2022. As this is not our first time postponing, we realized the last few times that by the time we worked in conjunction with the venue- we lost out on a lot of prime dates and we weren’t getting what we paid for. It was heartbreaking to not only compromise the vision but the season/date etc. too. We decided to be proactive this time and it worked in our favour. Dates are filling up fast for 2022 so depending on if this is really important to you, it may be a good time to start feeling out your vendors and venue and see what’s available- and then decide from there?

• Sharon
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Sharon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Brittany. We had originally planned for Aug 7th, 2021 and a couple weeks ago we made the decision to push it to Aug 2022. Honestly, making the decision and saying it out loud for the first time is the hardest part. Now we just have more time to save and plan! I had a couple days of tears, but I'm completely fine with it now. For us we didn't want people in masks and no dancing etc. to be apart of our memories. I didn't want to have to settle and end up having regrets later on. 10 yrs from now I'm not going to care if it was 2021 or 2022, its only in the moment that it sucks.

• Rachel
    Frequent user September 2022 Alberta
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will be going ahead regardless. If we have to mask up or distance I will be disappointed but our guest list is already small enough that we can make it work if necessary.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You feel to hold back on the wedding because of all the vision being missed out for the day, postpone the date so your guest list can be fulfilled. Its the thought of what you want and how you want to make it happen for you both. I know its important to have all family and friends present to see you get married.

You wish to still go ahead and get married with just family and close friends, its just as fine and you can have your invites for Reception or Vow Renewal for a later date. There is an interesting discussion that has the postponement of couples facing the situation. Watch to see what is being done as disappointed couples are rerouting their choices.

Https://globalnews.ca/news/7591225/weddings-2021/

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Even with gathering restrictions relaxed, I doubt other things like mask requirements and dancing will be.

By the way, a backyard ceremony decreases your guest count limit. I'm sure rules and regulations will change in the coming months but based on current rules, the wedding gathering limits can't apply to your backyard because you can't have people not from your house (ie your officiant) over.
  • Patricia
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had to make the same decision last year!! We ultimately knew that we could go forward with the smaller guest count but not willing to compromise on no dancing,wearing masks, not having out of province/country guests etc. So in April 2020 we postponed our September 2020 wedding to October 2021. My advise is to think about what you are willing to compromise and what you’re not. Also talk with your venue/vendors and see if there’s a date you need to decide by!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are going ahead with our August 2021 wedding as of right now in Kelowna. We already postponed our first date August 8 2020 back in May and don't really want to postpone again. The only way that we'd postpone again is if gathering sizes don't increase more then 10. We're waiting until maybe the end of March early April or even May before we make a final decision about postponing another year.

I think if you guys wait until end of June at the latest to make a final decision about your wedding and if you guys need to postpone, you should have a good idea what is going on by that time Smiley smile

• Caitlyn
    Frequent user September 2021 Alberta
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm also a September 2021 bride and am struggling with how I would feel about doing a covid wedding vs just postponing. If you really feel like you may end up regretting going ahead with your wedding this year because you had to compromise on certain aspects, then postponing is the best option. You want to look back on your wedding day with fond memories, and not have it filled with "would've/could've/should've".
  • B
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We currently are planning a backyard ceremony and a indoor reception. Our venue holds 100 people but our ideal guest list does not even hit 75 people.
    If covid allows for 50 people I can make it work, but I really want to be able to dance and everyone to enjoy themselves.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you willing to have the ceremony with a small dinner with close family and postpone the reception as an anniversary celebration?

Do you have your venue set? Do they have outdoor dining options? If so, 75 might be doable, depending on how things go. I think June would be a good indicator on how things will be.

• B
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pardon my phone autocorecting terribly.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics