Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Curious May 2019 British Columbia

When to Obtain Your Marriage License (in BC)?

Michelle, on March 5, 2019 at 13:33 Posted in British Columbia 0 6

Hey, everyone!

I live in BC, and know that you can apply for your marriage license 3 months before the wedding. I'm getting married on May 20th, so we're about 2.5 months away. I want to get it now, so it's over with, but my FH had a point to wait a bit closer to the date, in case there's a mail delay or something, and we didn't want it to expire.

How close to your date did you apply for your marriage license?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Leah, on March 7, 2019 at 15:27
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're getting married in May, and will either have our coordinator get it prior to our arrival, or get it in person when we arrive about a week before the wedding.

• Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our Officiant had us wait till we were at our 2 month count down. I thought we had to wait for it to come in the mail etc but we filled out the form at home and I took FHs ID with me and waited 15 minutes max. We have ours in a safe place and will give it to our Officiant at the Wedding Rehearsal 2 days before our Wedding.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went to get our Marriage license 2 months prior and handed it over to the Officiant directly. We knew that with the time given, it was only a short drive and didn't take long to get one from our home.

If your holding onto the marriage license yourself, best suggestion is putting it in a plastic protector and in the wedding binder/folder for sake keeping. The Officiant will mail it in and then 3 months later can go online to pay for the marriage certificate. That's the only thing on your part once received the portion of your license for the record purposes.

• M
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Great, thank you!

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Here's the site that shows what you need for a marriage licence, and at the bottom is a link where you can search for where you can pick one up in your city. Only one of you needs to go in and bring both parties' primary ID (usually a birth certificate). It took me about 15 - 20 minutes to get mine. They print them out and hand them to you right here - no waiting for it in the mail (the marriage certificate is what comes in the mail after the wedding). I picked up mine about three weeks prior to the wedding, but it can be done any time before the wedding date.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/life-events/marriage/marriage-licences

• S
    Curious August 2019 British Columbia
    Svetlana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey, I'll be getting married in BC aswell. I was thinking we are going to get the marriage license at about 2.5-2 months out in the mall across the street. But I suggest you maybe ask your wedding officiant about this? Coz they are the one handling it and sending it out afterwards, they should be able to advise you on this.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics