Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Expert August 2018 Ontario

When even your vendors tell you to chill a bit: confessions of an over-eager bride with a long engagement.

Linzer, on February 22, 2017 at 17:52 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 23
Hello ladies!
As the title says, this is my confession. I'm not getting married until NEXT August (so 2018). I'm admittedly type A and this wedding has turned into my new project to devote my energy and spare time towards with a fury. I've got a fair chunk of my vendors booked already and have a pretty clear vision of what I want it to be like. I've got DIY projects slated over the next 17 months and I would totally start them if I didn't live in a 700 Sq ft apartment with no extra room for crap to sit for so long.
The event coordinator for my reception venue has straight up told me to chill out, but in a nicer way of course. She kindly pointed out that we have so much time and she would only really be getting into logistics around next February. My date has been reserved sans deposit or contract since I have a personal connection to the restaurant and I shouldn't worry too much.
It's kind of embarrassing but was and reminder I needed to gain some perspective. I don't want to be "that bride" and drive my vendors crazy. I thought I'd share my tale of woe.
So now I need some other sort of project to devote myself to in the meantime....any suggestions? Haha

23 Comments

Latest activity by Donna, on February 27, 2017 at 09:31
  • Donna
    Devoted August 2017 Quebec
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes for just a little time. You'll feel good. But we will be ther waiting for you Smiley smile

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ooo nice! It doesn't look too hard so it should turn out well! Haha when we have guests come over, we like to have them guess whose painting is who's.

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Going to attempt this haha

When even your vendors tell you to chill a bit: confessions of an over-eager bride  with a long engagement. 1
  • Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yay! Have fun! What type of painting are you doing?

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Girl, I feel you. I'm in downtown Toronto so it's not that crazy to book so far in advance for some things. My MOC and photographer don't think I'm a crazy person at least.
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like I need to do this. After my MOC meeting on the 7th I want to take a break. Maybe even *gasp* uninstall this app for a while.
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We booked a paint nite thingy next Friday two blocks away from us!
  • Donna
    Devoted August 2017 Quebec
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was so stressed out about my wedding, that I took a break for like 3 months not talking about it, not thinking about it and I can tell you that I felt great after. And now everything that I do is more smoothly and everything is going so fine. So yes sometimes you have to relax a little just enjoy the engagement and your partner.

• Vanessa
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm the same way, but to be honest, you have to be like that! Photographers, make up artists, and other vendors are booking up (well here in the Greater Toronto Area), so whatever! I'm with you. I go over my pinterest boards every few weeks to keep myself occupied and "current" on trends I like, haha!

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We painted a bridge and some trees. It was in purples and blues so I liked it! A Harry Potter bar sounds AWESOME! I'm going to Harry Potter World on Sat and am so excited!
    Dance lessons are a great idea too! We did some for our first dance and I loved it. Collin did too surprisingly! If it wasn't so expensive, I'd love to do more! I'm keeping my eyes open for a Groupon!

• Raphaela
    Frequent user June 2018 Alberta
    Raphaela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im with you as my wedding is not till next August as well! My location is already picked and I have my dress. We even have a band, my mom set that up. Im so eager to plan out more but I keep reminding myself I have so much time and I need to space things out haha. In my spare time I keep adding things I like to my Pinterest board so I have everything in one spot. Plus we have a wedding to attend this August in Mexico so that is keeping me busy atm.. I would suggest if you dont already have one going to start a Pinterest board! Good luck Smiley smile
  • Nichea
    Curious September 2023 Ontario
    Nichea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd work on doing your music list. It is a very long thing to do to research songs and then choose the ones you like, perhaps even test dancing to them with your fiancee would be a fun way to have a date together that goes towards your end date. The other bonus is listening to music, on you tube etc does not take up any space lol

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We totally should!!! I just absolutely can't handle crowds (incredibly claustrophobic!), so that's why I've been waiting

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's a good idea! My mom has a storage locker behind her house that she's renting for the foreseeable future. Miran's family has a storage locker too. I can start gathering the faux greenery I want
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh that's a good idea to pace yourself! Maybe I can implement that going forward.
  • L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Boss lady went last night for trivia and barely got in! She sent me a bunch of pictures and it looked super cool.
    Come with me!!!
  • Carolyne
    Super June 2018 Quebec
    Carolyne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am also getting married on August 2018 and my fiance and I did "a list" of things to do but on months ; example , on January we choose the music , on February we choose the cake, etc. It helps me to relax and not do everything at the same time. 😉 I hope I helped you a bit. Good luck!
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OMG I've been waiting for the Harry Potter bar to lose some popularity so I can check it out!

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do either of your parents have space for you to store things? Could you start making things and then store them at someone's house?

Sam had some good suggestions too!! I also like to do old lady things like cross stitch, keeps my hands busy (and not snacking), or you could knit.

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Those paint night things seem so fun! A bunch of my coworkers have been and had a blast! What did you guys paint? That's on my to-do list as well as checking out the Harry Potter themed bar downtown that has trivia on Tuesday nights.
    I also thought maybe Miran and I could do dancing lessons! It's fun and also vaguely wedding related since we will have an even better first dance. He's hesitant because he doesn't want to spend more money though:p
  • Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's an awesome idea! I love scrapbooking. It's so relaxing. I like the photobooks but it is fun to have physical momentos. I like to save things like movie ticket stubs and business cards for restaurants we've tried so that I can incorporate them into the scrapbook pages. Have you tried one of those wine and painting nights? They're so much fun and great for a girls night or a date night! My husband and I just did one a couple weeks ago.

I can't wait to see your engagement pictures! I'm sure you have it all figured out already. Smiley winking If not, you could work on that too!

• L
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sam what great suggestions! I'm glad I'm not alone in my compulsive planning ways! I was thinking about scrapbooking today actually. We are having our engagement shoot in May so I should get the pictures back a short while after that. I'd love to design a scrapbook of our pre engagement relationship, and even gather up some childhood photos tucked away in my mom's storage and some stuff for Miran as well. I think that would be a good Avenue for my creativity...
    I might take a course in something as well, either physical activity or some professionally relevant just to focus on. Miran was joking that I should just focus on the LSAT, but that was my failed project from last year haha
    Once this is over I don't know what I'll do with myself! Probably try and do some professional development and help my MOH plan her wedding. But I feel like that will all just need biding time until I can do baby stuff. I'm so goal orientated and project based that it hurts.
  • Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Haha well I'd always rather be over eager than too laid back! I'm definitely Type A as well and I think it's great that you have everything figured out. There's lots of options for the meantime! You could join a yoga class or a trampoline exercise class! You could make a photobook of your engagement pictures! Have you taken them yet? I made a photobook each year for the first 2 years of our relationship but have still been meaning to make the other 3.... I could sit and work on that stuff for hours! And it's been fun to go back and look at everything and be like "oh yeah remember that?" or "we were so young!" or "what did we do for Valentine's Day that year?..." I also did one for our nephew's first birthday because I know my SIL wouldn't have time to make one and I made copies for us, my BIL and SIL, my MIL and my husband's grandma since they were all at the birthday. It's been a great family keepsake! I love pictures so I love scrapbooking and making photobooks. Scrapbooking has been my project post-wedding since now I'm done with wedding planning! For photobooks, I prefer using Shutterfly to Snapfish because it's more customizable.

You could also start going to swapmeets to start looking for decorations for the wedding! We have a vintage fair once a month by our apartment and everything is either vintage or vintage inspired and it was so much fun to just walk around and browse! I found our card box there. (I know you said you don't have a lot of space but it's fun just to get out and explore and it may take a couple trips before you find something. Or you could always get the vendor's card and then call them up when you're ready to start storing wedding stuff!) We had a long engagement and a small apartment too so I get it! We've been slowly organizing things over the past couple months to fit our leftover wedding decorations and wedding gifts! (along with the couple of boxes that we never unpacked when we moved in Smiley tongue )

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics