Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

When do you take off your engagement ring?

Lynnie, on August 2, 2017 at 14:02 Posted in Before the wedding 0 28

Hi everyone! Happy Wednesday Smiley smile

Do you ever take off your engagement ring? Only for certain activities? To sleep?

My wedding band and engagement ring are the last things I put on before I leave my place in the morning, and the first things I take off when I come home! I don’t wear them to sleep or when I’m cooking, cleaning, showering, or working out. For me it’s just a comfort issue Smiley smile I can’t sleep with them on, so they live in my handy ring dish at home!

What about you?

Ring DishRing Dish

5 Things To Do After You Get Your Engagement Ring

28 Comments

Latest activity by Victoria, on December 16, 2017 at 21:25
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Shower, dishes, cleaning with chemicals, rock climbing, basketball, volleyball, if im lifting weights at the gym.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I take it off to shower, do dishes, sometimes cooking (depends what I'm doing--yes for peeling potatoes, no if I'm cutting up fruit)

I also take it off during sports.

I wear gloves sometimes at work (vinyl gloves for cleaning or food handling) and every time I take them off, I check to make sure all the diamonds are still there!! (there's about a dozen smaller diamonds along the band)

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Never take it off, this is its new home and won't be leaving my ring fingure Smiley smile

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I only where my ring out! I won't wear it to work because I work with a lot of peat moss so it would get dirty and then I don't wear it at home because I don't want it to get dirty.
  • Shelby
    Frequent user October 2017 British Columbia
    Shelby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I take them off to shower and for work. I am a shop teacher and I wouldn't want to damage them or deal with the safety issue of using machinery!

• Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My hands also swell, so sometimes take it off first thing when I get home. But otherwise, I take it off to wash dishes (unless it'll be super quick), at the gym, to shower, cook/bake if I need to get my hands messy. I would also take it off if I was going swimming or something like that, put on lotion, lift heavy things, etc. Anything that could damage the ring or loosen the prongs or Wtv. I have my trusty ring box that I use at home and can bring with me so that's nice Smiley smile
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wear my engagement ring when I go to work, but take it off when I cook, clean, doing hard task and playing sports.
  • Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I never take mine off! My finger feels naked without it!
  • Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only take mine off when I am playing soccer(part of the rules no jewelry at all) and when I am going swimming/hot tubbing Smiley smile

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I take mine off at bed time and when im doing dirty outside work and for the gym. M y hands swell at night and in the heat, so sometimes its really needed to take it off.

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is me too! I was taking it off at night and then I forget to put it on in the morning and so I just stopped taking it off. I did have it off a lot when I was in Maui because I didn't want it to fall off when swimming either in the pool or the ocean but the rest of the time it is on my finger.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I never take mine off unless I have a soccer or rugby game in which case we arent allowed to wear jewlery. We purposely picked my ring because it is flat and the style makes it so that even if i scratch it up you cant really tell, so i dont have to worry about being careful with it. Im not a very delicate person haha...
  • Jenn
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I leave mine on most of them time when I'm not at work. I'm a massage therapist, so having it on at work wouldn't feel good for my clients haha
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only downside to not sleeping with my rings on, is that now I literally can not fall asleep with them on ever! I need to get a "travel ring dish" or something for when I'm not sleeping at home Smiley laugh

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always take my ring off before showering, before bed, and sometimes at work when I'm doing a lot of dirty work (I'm a nurse and sometimes my hands do get dirty). Other than that I pretty much wear it all the time. I always have it on before I leave the house. I now feel naked without it. I just realized I haven't put it on yet today because I've just been doing things around the house since I woke up and feel funny without it lol

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahah that's smart! Smiley laugh
  • Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I never take mine off unless i'm working with dough. in the winter I find my fingers shrink so if I go swimming or snorkling in the winter I will take it off as well.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am the same as you Lynnie, I put it on first thing in the morning, and take it off when I come home. I have slept with it on before and woke up like a dent in my cheek from the diamond lol! I never wear it when I shower, workout, cook or clean and I have a ring dish that I put it in every night.

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wear gloves at work (I'm a vet tech too, but I work in a lab most of the time). I have to wear a medium glove on my left hand and a small glove on my right to accommodate my ring. Not a bad problem to have, of course, but it did take some getting used to!

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always leave mine on unless I put on lotion. If I do any heavy work, I use gloves.

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I rarely take it off... I left it home when I went camping last weekend... It felt weird and I had a few moments of panic when I forgot for a minute that I had left it home.
  • Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's awesome that you lift weights! I totally get it, sometimes if I have been wearing it during the day and I go to the gym I almost always forget to take it off too haha.
    I work as a vet assistant at a clinic here!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I take mine off to sleep, shower, put on lotion and work out. I want to get a silicone one for traveling as well so I don't worry about losing it.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I almost never take mine off, only when I'm working with dough, or when I'm weightlifting (and even then I sometimes (ok, often) forget to take it off). I never want to lose it, and I'm used to seeing my parents never take theirs off, but as a result my ring does get really tarnished, so perhaps I should start taking it off more often.

Sasha, what kind of work with animals do you do?

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love that ring dish! Super cute! I always wear my ring, the only time I take it off is when I put lotion on so it doesn't get all inside and make the ring look cloudy or dirty.

• Sasha
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I only wear mine if we/I go out shopping or running errands. I almost never wear it because I work with animals and I don't want it to get damaged or dirty. Also it doesn't fit well under the gloves I wear for work. I'm thinking of getting a silicone wedding band to wear to work once we are married
  • B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I used to take mine off at night but then I ALWAYS forget it in the mornings. Ppl would always be concerned we weren't engaged anymore lol so now I NEVER take it off.
  • Kathy
    Devoted June 2018 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I take mine off when I shower, when I do the dishes, and when I workout. Other than that, it is always on. On a sidenote, I love that ring dish! ♥

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics