Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shaina
Frequent user April 2019 Ontario

When did you start?

Shaina, on October 27, 2017 at 16:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21
I have a couple questions Smiley smile1) How long before did you start planning? Our date isn't 100%, but it's gonna be in April 2019 so I don't know when I should actually start.2) Anybody doing an alcohol-free reception? Are guests skipping the reception because of it?3) How did you decide which "friends" should be invited or not?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on December 21, 2017 at 09:08
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were engaged per say since i moved to my husband's home in 2013 and no proposal. We saved up to our rings one time. April 2106 i started planning our wedding and our day was this year aug 25. Start with the big ticket items cause they will take up the biggest portion of your budget. We had 75 ple all in one place too.
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aren't they made with orange juice? Or can you use whatever? I feel like that's a good idea but I haaaate orange juice. Lol.
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We had a brunch wedding and it was really fun!! (I'm biased of course, lol). We had alcohol, but only mimosas (sparkling wine + juice). Everyone really enjoyed them and it was super cheap!

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing an alcohol-free reception. I have been to tons of alcohol-free receptions (in fact, I've never been to a reception with alcohol). For the most part, I think people are fine with it. There are always some who will complain or refuse to dance without alcohol. I'm not sure if anyone will decided not to come because we aren't having alcohol, but I kind of feel like it is good if they do....if they are just coming to get drunk, not to share our special day with us, and if they are going to complain, I would rather they not be there.
    Deciding on friends to invite has been tough and we're still going through it. We are inviting most of our mutual friends. I'm inviting friends that I have known for a long time and a few others I am close to.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged last october and started planning right away. We booked all of the big vendors within the first few months to ensure we got what we wanted after we set a date in stone.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Start planning now especially with your venue, officiant, photographer, and music. We got engaged December 16, 2016, got married September 24, 2017, and by January many dates were already taken in the fall. Saturdays were booked so we took Sunday instead. If guests skip the reception because you don't have alcohol, it speaks to the type of people they are. If you just want to have coffee, tea, and soft drinks, it's up to you and people shouldn't think it's an occasion to binge drink. We only invited people that we had know for at least 5 years with the exception of one person who was my MOH and her husband.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1) We got engaged December 25, 2016 and got married September 30, 2017 so we started planning right away. I would start planning right away as many things like venues and caterers are booked early. The tools on here are excellent to help with planning.

2) Never been to an alcohol-free reception before. I would imagine that if they are already the type of people who don't really drink then it won't matter to them. As others have said, it is your wedding so you can do what you like.

3) We invited friends that we consider family and friends we hang out with regularly.

• Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've never been to a wedding. Lol. Well, I went to one but there was no more than 30 people, if that and not many people drank. My sister gets married on Monday but she's not having a reception. Lol. I wonder if there's a way, that's not tacky or rude, that we can include in the invitations basically asking them to mind their alcohol? Idunno. But maybe if they have to buy it themselves they won't get hammered. LOL.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a definite possibility. If it helps, I’ve also yet to go to a wedding where people got sloshed. The majority of people have a few drinks and that doesn’t affect their behaviour at all.
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm starting to feel like people aren't gonna wanna come if there's no alcohol! I don't know what I should do, lol. And I guess that's what I'll follow! The friend that I'm not sure about never talks to me unless she wants to complain about something; I guess I shouldn't even really call her a friend, haha.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    1) I am of no help here, as our wedding was 8 months after we got engaged. But the checklist on here is a good place to start. It will breakdown the different tasks based on the wedding date you put in. You don’t have to follow it to the letter, but it gives you a good idea of when to do what. ; 2) I have yet to see an alcohol-free wedding. But it’s your wedding, so do what you want, just make sure to let guests know there will be no alcohol so they are not surprised once they get there. ; 3) We did family only, but friends of mine had a rule that if they hadn’t seen/talked to someone in the last 6 months then they aren’t invited.
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I actually suggested doing it on a Sunday to DF earlier today. I don't want a church wedding, so it should work out. I do know there are some family who go to church on Sundays though. I'm just not sure if we're supposed to take that into consideration when we're planning our day.
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I keep thinking that people are going to want the alcohol, but I'm not much of a drinker and I can only stand being around people who are drinking for so long (and it's really not very long at all) so I don't want to be miserable on my wedding day. The place DF had suggested has a bar in a different part of the place, so i said maybe we'll provide pop, water, and juice and if they'd like alcohol they can buy it themselves. I'm not really sure though. Also, we have quite a few children going and I don't want them excluded from anything. We still have time to figure it out though Smiley smile
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I forgot to mention we got married October 14th this year oops haha. So it was a little over a year that we started planning.
    That's good you have already started making a list. That kind of thing can get complicated so the sooner it's out of the way the better! And 74 people seems like a great number! Not too big not too small Smiley smile

My friend had a brunch wedding a few years ago and it was great. They still had some music playing if people wanted to dance but I don't think anyone really did. It was all very casual and a relaxed environment, it was nice! Depending what day you do it it can also end up being cheaper. She did hers on a Sunday so it was a good price
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow! I didn't realize places got booked up so far in advance. I was thinking we'd have less people than what it looks like we'll be having, but there shouldn't be more than 100. I'm only unsure about 1 person, but I think they're gonna end up making the decision for me. Lol.
  • Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi! I got engaged November 18th , 2017 and I am getting married July 21st, 2017!

I started looking at ideas/planning right away. We booked our reception venue in January. Photographer in February. And I procrastinated on booking ceremony venue , catering and flowers(booked them in September. I would go with the checklist on wedding wire it is very helpful! I would only invite guest who you cant picture your wedding without them and who you have talked to within the last year or so(that includes family; some of my extended family I have seen once in ten years)

I couldn't imagine a wedding without alcohol. I suffer from anxiety and it is difficult to be at an event with lots of people you don't know; alcohol helps with that.

• Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married Sept 2018 and found our venue February 2017 with only a few dates left to choose from- so I would get on the venue once you figure out if you want a big or small wedding.

we are going alcohaul free at our venue which is considered a cocktail style wedding- finger foods and lemonade and then doing a bash after in a backyard or renting a small hall. we may do a toonie bar there and invite more people then the 60 at the ranch.

our friends we had a pretty good idea of who to invite- we will include our nearest and dearest family friends to our 60 person wedding and then we will invite anyone else to the afterparty. Smiley smile

• Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I never thought of doing a brunch wedding! That's a great idea!I did my guest list today, on my own so I might have left out some people, but we have 74 that's including all the kids. But then there are about 20 who may want a plus 1. We're doing aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. And between the 2 or us we're "inviting" 5 friends, who we're asking to stand in the wedding.
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    1) we got engaged October 14th 2016 but we had started planning the wedding between May and September lol. We like to budget so we wanted to make sure we knew how much everything cost. We booked the venue in September as well as the photographer. The DJ we booked a couple weeks after the engagement. I say, it's never too early to start planning even if it isn't until 2019. You will be way less stressed that way. Plus a lot of vendors book up to a year in advance.

2) I have never been to an alcohol free wedding. I think it's possible to do one though. I think a lot of people who do no alcohol typically do brunch weddings.

3) it was easy for us to decide who not to invite. We had 38 guests at our wedding and it was exactly what we wanted. We invited imidiate family and close friends only. I didn't see a point in inviting people who I haven't seen in years or don't really talk to anymore. And although my husband has a tiny extended family, if we invited all my extended family it would be a 200 person wedding haha. My family was totally supportive and understanding of that.
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've already started looking around, and I have my guest list already Smiley tongueWe're only planning on doing something small. And since we have a son, who we want to be there to celebrate with us, and there are quite a few small kids invited (nieces and nephews) I don't want it to be too long or too late anyways, which I'm hoping will help with the lack of alcohol lol.And I have a "friend" who I'm not sure I want to invite, but who I also don't want to listen to complain about not being invited. I'm so struck on what to do about her! Thankfully we have lots of time left!
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1) I got engaged March 2016 and got married August 2017. I started planning almost right away. I say it's never too early because if you pace things and do some things here and there, you wont have so much to do closer to the wedding which made it less stressful! Plus you never no what things could go wrong such as ordering a dress or bridesmaids dress etc and not showing up on time - that happened with my bridesmaids dresses. Also for things like the venue, entertainment, photographer - they usually book a year or more in advance.

2) I have been to two weddings that were alcohol free. People don't skip the reception for it, but there was lack of dancing and people left very early.

3) I invited friends and family whom I talk to on a daily basis, and those who I couldn't picture not being there when I got married. Usually if it has been a year since you have talked to someone then I wouldn't invite them.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics