Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sinéad
WeddingWire Admin January 2025 Galway

When did you meet each other’s family?

Sinéad, on November 18, 2019 at 09:05 Posted in WeddingWire 0 20

Do you remember the first time you met your fiancé(e)’s parents? Do you remember how nervous you were? Did everything run smoothly or do you have a great story about meeting your future in-laws?

How soon into your relationship did you meet each other’s family?

Next Question: When did you move in together?

Back to the Beginning: Your Relationship Timeline!

20 Comments

Latest activity by Kara, on December 16, 2020 at 06:38
  • Kara
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mom and his dad were close friends before we dated, so I knew his dad and he knew my mom very well....and they both loved us! I had met his mom prior to us dating at his sisters wedding which I had been invited to separately- but we officially met about 6 months into our relationship. She was nice to me, but wasn’t very keen on me then. It took some warming up...I was only the second girl that was ever introduced to her- and the first one wasn’t so great lol...

Unfortunately he never got to meet my dad- we were not terribly close, but he died unexpectedly the month before we got engaged- so he did get to meet a lot of my extended family then. Awkward for sure... but they were super nice and accepting of him.
  • Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I met his Uncle and 2 of his cousins when i went to his family cottage over May 24 before we officially started dating. I met the rest of his family at his cousins wedding later that summer in July. Unfortunately I never met his dad as he passed away right before the wedding when i was supposed to meet his. I can say without a doubt that I am marrying into the best family! Since day 1 I have felt nothing but accepted by them

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Second Christmas together was when I was introduced to his family for christmas time. They were welcoming and warming to be around as a family.
    My husband was introduced to my family 1 1/2 years into our relationship. It took time to adjust with him though it was hard to accept that he was my bf then.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He had known my brother previously. He met my parents one month in and I met his family three months in at thanksgiving.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I met his brother pretty quickly because we had to rush to his house to put his phone in rice because my now fiancé had taken it in the pool with him- real smooth for like our second date 😂
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    She met my family after about a year, where I met hers all at once Christmas three months later
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was either right before Christmas or in between Christmas and New Years. I met his whole family ( aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents etc). He comes from a bigger Italian family so big get togethers are normal. And he invited me over the same night his family was getting together!
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I met his family super casually - I think before we were even officially dating. I went over to his house, his parents were watching TV, I said hi, and off we went to some other part of the house. He came over to my grandma's house for dinner after we were official to meet my family.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Except the family that lives in germany or greece we met each others family within a few months of meeting each other.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    His family live in Wisconsin and we're in New Brunswick, so we don't see them often. We had been together about a year when his parents came home to visit their parents. We spent a weekend at the family cottage. Since then we have only had short visits with them, I hope someday we can live closer.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe it was march of 2018 but i cant remember for sure.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I met his family technically via Skype/phone as they are in a different province the fall after we met (Fall 2014). It went pretty well. Face-to-face wasn't until a year to a year and a half or so after that. The phone/skype conversations went better than the in-person. Got sick (reaction to food allergy) when I met his mom in person and I got sun stroke on the visit to his father.

He met my mom the summer after we met. We'd picked the date because he was going to be in Halifax to present at the IWK telethon, but forgot my dad had been out on a motorcycle trip/rally with his friends. When my mom mentioned that, Rob admitted later that he thought of images of the gang from Sons of Anarchy (couldn't be further from the truth...lol) and was wondering what he had gotten himself into. He met my dad a couple weeks later and realized my dad was just an average guy who likes motorcycles and computers....lol.

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was the middle of September 2009 a few weeks after moving out West that I met his parents. He met my entire extended family at a huge family picnic that brings all of my dads side from all over ontario together. I felt a little bad to just throw him into the lions den like that, but he did well as my family is a very big and loud and opinionated Italian family!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    He met my family right away - i was in high school so still lived at home. and i met his family about 6 week after we met
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was summer of 2016 again, but before our first fight was going on. Both of our families were coming up to visit (at different times).

He met my parents and brother over Canada Day long weekend, and my dad got us hopelessly lost on a hike and we still laugh about the incident to this day.

I met his dad, brother, sister and niece 2 weeks after my parents were here. My DH, his sister, and I went out to a local bar where she met her current bf and father our her 2nd kid.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We met each other's families before we started dating. We were close friends for a year or so before getting together and spent a fair amount of time at each other's houses. Also my mom taught at our high school so he knew her as one of the math teachers.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A month into our relationship he met my mom and brother when he came over for dinner one night. He brought flowers and I thought that was the sweetest thing ever and so did my mom.

I met his parents and sister a week or two later to have dinner at their place. We had gone for a walk to the beach and as we were walking home it started pouring rain so we started running. I broke my flip flop and had to hobble the rest of the way in the rain with a broken shoe. Once the rain stopped I borrowed my now FFIL's sandals (the sad part is my feet are so huge that they fit me ) to go to the store and buy new shoes.

Then a few weeks after that we went out for dinner with my dad and step-mom and he met them.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

He met my parents a few weeks into dating, and I met his family a little while later but not much later.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

About 2 months into dating! Both times were over dinner, about a week apart. It went pretty smooth. His mom had much more of an interrogator approach during dinner, my parents (mom and stepdad) were really chill. It took months to meet my dad but that is because he lived out of town!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The first official date Smiley tongue Otherwise I met his Mom a couple days later as he was living with her, his step-dad, uncle, and nana!

The other side I met about a month later during a family bbq at his Dad's.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics