Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

What's the story behind your first dance song?

Lynnie, on October 16, 2018 at 17:35 Posted in Wedding reception 0 17

Does your first dance song have special meaning or significance? Does it make you think of a specific memory? If so, what’s the story behind it? What song did you choose?

What's the story behind your first dance song? 1

Photo from Deer Creek Golf & Banquet Facility in Ajax, ON

Keep talking tunes with us in: Favourite reception entrance songs?, What song are you using for the ceremony recessional?, and What's your cake cutting song?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on December 2, 2018 at 23:43
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're dancing to Sam Cooke's You Send Me.

I LOVE Motown, but my fiance doesn't know much of that genre. I used to sing it at karaoke all the time and the first time he heard me sing it, it made him cry! Ever since then it's been our special song. He also doesn't really want to dance, but I do, so it's perfect that it's a short song.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We danced to Thinking Out Loud Smiley smile

My husband insisted on it. When we were early in our relationship, he was driving us somewhere and it came on the radio. He turned it up, and said 'this always makes me think of you'. It was one of the first time he was really honest about caring for me. He then proceeded to sing it to me.

When our friend got married about a year into our relationship, we danced to this at her wedding, and he sang it to me then too. So it fit.

I wouldn't have picked it to be honest.. I wanted I'll be by Ed McCain.

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We actually dont have one. He hates to dance but will for our wedding. Our 'first dance' will literally be our first dance. I am also letting him pick it.
  • Julia
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a long list of songs that I was trying to choose from. I asked my fiancé for help and he sent me back this one (which wasn’t even on the list!) I listened to it and cried haha. Just like that it bece our song. It’s beautiful and I love the fact that my totally unromantic man picked on his own Smiley smile

Gary Allan - The One

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our first dance song was “Perfect” by Ed Sheeran.

We were up late one night, just listening to music, and it came on the radio. And I t was like he was singing a story about us. It fit so perfectly. We decided right then and there that it would be our first dance song.

Funny story... We decided that we weren’t going to tell anyone what our first dance song was, to keep it a surprise. Well, because the song fit us so well, both my sister and my dad guessed what the song was! Haha.
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our song is Sam Cooke's You Send Me. I heard it ages ago and always liked it. I used to sing it at karaoke. Then one night, my fiance came out to karaoke and I sang that song and it made him cry! It hadn't occurred to me how sweet the lyrics were or how they connected to us. It was a no brainer!
  • Gabrielle
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Gabrielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love Dan + Shay!
    Our song will most likely be one of theirs as well.
  • A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am letting my FH choose, our first dance song as it will literally be our first dance at this rate. The whole time we have been together we have not slow dances once. He says he cant dance and feels uncomfortable so I just dont ask to dance.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yay for Ed Sheeran!!!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We haven't decided 100% yet but we're thinking of doing "Thinking out Loud" by Ed Sheeran! There's one line "Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars" and it VERY to our theme so we want to work it in with some lighting and dry ice at that moment and make it very magical!

We don't really have an "us" song that's slow enough to dance too... my FH and I are very into dubstep haha! That will be our entrance music and we want something romantic for the first dance!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours will be 'Baby I Love Your Way' by Peter Frampton. It's "our" song and has been for quite some time.

We were driving somewhere and the song came on. We both started singing and saying how much we loved it...also making fun of the cover! So it just became our song! Smiley heart

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Haven't chosen a song yet! It'll probably be an acoustic version of one of our favourite songs since we don't have a song that is slower lol

We're meeting with our DJ in two weeks and they'll be able to help us find a song!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So it’s Tenerife sea by Ed Sheeran- we knew our song had to be Ed Sheeran because he was one of the first things we started talking about before we got together. And we decided on Tenerife Sea because it talks about how beautiful she looks in her dress, and with her hair like that (I’ll be wearing mine how my fiancé likes it) and her eyes being blue like the Tenerife Sea and I have very blue eyes so it just fit! And it’s just soooo romantic about how if she’s the last thing he sees that would be enough for him.

https://youtu.be/4rg6pusp9ks

What's the story behind your first dance song? 2
  • A
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our first dance will be "you had me from hello" Kenny Chesney...first time I heard my hubby to be on the phone my heart melted, that became our song.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our song is "When God made you" by Newsong. We drove outside the city to watch a lightning storm a month or so into dating. My husband looked up Christian love songs on youtube and chose a playlist. This was the first song that played and as we listened to it, we were both said "that's how I felt" at every line! It's been our song ever since!

These were the first few lines that got us hooked:

It's always been a mystery to me
    How two hearts can come together
    And love can last for ever
    But now that I have found you I believe
    That a miracle has come
    When God sends the perfect oneNow gone are all my questions about why
    And I've never been so sure of anything
    In my lifeOh I wonder what God
    Was thinking
    When he created you
    I wonder if he
    Knew everything I would need
    Because he made all my dreams come true
    When God made you
    He must have been thinking about me
  • Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've never heard this song. It's beautiful. I teared up listening to it. Love your choice. I wish I had one already.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For the majority of our relationship, my FH and I have struggled with consistency with work, both of us having stopped to do school at different times, new jobs, etc...

This song is all about a couple building everything from the ground up, together.

There's a line that says "and I'll be the man your dad hoped that I'd be..." and I always laugh a little, because my dad really does hope for us to get to a point where we are comfortable and stable, and he really believes in my FH.

I need to listen to this about a million more times not to bawl my eyes out during our first dance. Smiley heart

Dan + Shay - From The Ground Up

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics