Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

What's the best and worst... marriage advice you've received?

Lynnie, on August 28, 2017 at 08:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 9

Final question!!! People just can't hold back their unsolicited opinions, especially when it comes to weddings!

What's the best and worst marriage advice you've received?

The *best* marriage advice I ever heard was, "the secret to a happy marriage is two bathrooms and two tvs" Smiley tongue

Photo from Pinterest

Photo from Pinterest

Photos from Pinterest

>>That's it! Thanks for playing our game. If you'd like to start over at the beginning, click here.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Jessie, on June 13, 2018 at 11:48
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Don't go to bed mad.

Don't get married, youll regret it

• Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My dad gave me some great advice once. He said you should always be willing to compromise. He said it is the most important part of a marriage. The willingness to put your partner before yourself. I figure it is good advice, my parents have been married 45 years. Smiley smile

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    “Don’t get married!”

But that’s coming from my divorced mother who claims she doesn’t mean it (or she’s saying it to her younger self).
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We haven't received too much yet; I'm sure that will come!

The worst though was from an old co-worker who said to live in separate units. Him and his partner live in the same house, but one has the main floor and one lives in the basement.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Best advice has been "understand that you are different together", "remember to say I love you", and "just remember that you are friends and will sometimes disagree". I don't think I have been given any bad advice.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The best marriage advice i have received - "be a team", "be friends first, be a married couple second" I love these two pieces of advice because I feel like we are already a team, and we are best friends, we were before we started dating.

I cant say I have been given any bad advice, however when we started dating, and then again when we got engaged, people told us that we were too young and we should experience more, as in, date more people before settling down. My FH was my first serious boyfriend, we were young when we started dating, but we love each other, why search for something you already found? My mom has been especially supportive of us being together when people say things like this, always saying "some people search their entire lives to find the one, Erin just happened to be lucky and found him on the first try."

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A friend said to "appreciate the small gestures of love" and another said "don't focus on the negative" which I really loved.
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Communication is key and never go to bed angry are probably the top 2 pieces of marriage advice I have received! Bad marriage advice, I haven't really gotten any!

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This isn't necessarily marriage advice as this is something my mom always told me since I was a child but I love "never go to bed angry". I still live by that to this day. My FH and I don't fight but it's still a good way to live even in regards to friendships and parenthood!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics