Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashley
VIP August 2020 Ontario

What to say when postponing

Ashley, on June 28, 2020 at 13:15 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11

Well we have made the decision to postpone since our wedding is in just over 30 days and our venue isnt open. I'm gonna email my vendors and i want to know what should i say? i have this so far. I just want to make sure i cover all my bases... dont want any new surprises or extra fees or anything.... what did you guys say when postponing.

Good Afternoon,

Hope you’re keeping well during these hard times.

Since our venue is still currently closed due to covid with no reopen date in the near future. Unfortunately we will have to postpone our wedding. Can you please let me know as soon as possible if you are available Friday June 25, 2021? We do not want to change any details of our contract. We still require everything we have previously booked however we will have to confirm final numbers closer to the date as we have many guests traveling in from the US and other countries. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

11 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on July 2, 2020 at 20:41
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your email sounds fine though they don't need to know about your guests travelling. It would be good to ask if you can postpone the date to next year waiving the charge (if any applies). Your thinking of the date June 25, 2021 or a Friday in the month available.

It would be good though to get confirmed with the venue first about the date change so your vendors can work towards it before changing it again.

• Zara
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Zara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you email is good to go. I had my wedding in October but decided to postpone to May 2021. When I called my venue, May dates were filled up and only Sunday of long weekend was available. We didn't want this date to be taken as well so we postponed it.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.

I think the email sounds great. And offering a Friday should help not only to book easier, but it probably means they won't lose out on a new Saturday booking and might be more willing to keep the costs the same.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So sorry you have to postpone Ashely. It is looking we will be postponing as well. This year really sucks for us brides.

The email sounds great and is similar to what I wrote as well.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so sorry that that has happened to you. My venue didn't tell us to postpone, we decided to do that on our own at the end of April just because we have so many family members coming from out east that probably wouldn't be able to come out west. And we would hate for them to miss our big day.

We got engaged Dec 2017 but we're ok with waiting another year to get married just because we want all of our family and friends to be their to celebrate with us and feel safe as well.

I hope your new date goes as planned and you have an amazing Friday wedding!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wedding twins! we had the same date. i was holding on that we could proceed with a smaller wedding but my venue called about a week or so ago and said we need to postpone. yeah its def the new normal. i called other venues to find out when they were booking and they all said the samething either a friday or sunday. its not ideal but i rather not wait another few years. we got engaged in dec 2018 so to wait till 2022 or 2023 is not worth the wait. we selected a friday in june so hopefully that should be more than enough time. i want my guests to come and feel safe at our wedding

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've heard that is what a lot of couples are experiencing. Dates of course are filling up with couples postponing because of this pandemic and couples that were already planning weddings in 2021. I know a lot of brides and grooms are going for a Friday or a Sunday wedding or evening during the week if they can't get a weekend date that they want. It's definitely the new normal to say the least. It's something that nobody has ever experienced before. Just remember whatever date you choose, it will be the best day!

My fiance and I had our original wedding date August 8 2020 set for 2 and a half years, as soon as we got engaged. And to have it taken away from us just like that definitely sucks!! But we both know that next year we will have the wedding we've both been dreaming of even if we have to wait 1 more year.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks!! but our venue is fully booked for Saturdays until 2023 so were stuck with either a friday or sunday Smiley sad neither of which i want. we booked our venue a year in a half in advance to ensure we had a summer saturday and they had 1 left so we booked it. and when i contacted them to change our date they said 2021 was already booked and the corona brides were booking 2022 or 2023 if they wanted a saturday.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course! I hope everything works out for you and you get the date you want!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks this was super helpful!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When my fiance and I were thinking of postponing, we had asked our vendors and our venue what our options were. If we could postpone to another date this year or even next year. And they all said yes to doing that. We just couldn't cancel or we wouldn't get back any money we had put down. We then asked our venue what dates were available for next summer July or August. We decided to book August 7 2021 and then emailed all of our vendors asking if they were available for that date as well. And they all were available for our new date.

I think what you have wrote is great. Just make sure that all of you vendors all know that you don't want to cancel just postponing to another date. And that all your money that you've put down is going towards your new date.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics