Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner July 2022 Ontario

What to do when "the One" costs a ton!!??!!

Erin, on November 16, 2019 at 00:56 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 17

Doesn't every girl want to feel that Cinderella moment when she finds her dress? I know I did....then I seen the price tag. BAM magical moment ruined, the tears ensued soon after cause guess what...this bride is too broke to be able to foot the bill. Idk what to do. I was going to ask my mom to maybe help out a bit but she has her own problems to deal with..... So everyone my question is simple. WHAT DO I DO???? Do I settle for less or ask for a hand up and get help with paying the bill? Any advice??? Did anyone have to settle or did you ask for help?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on November 19, 2019 at 13:39
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yay! So happy for you!
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's awesome! Congratulations. Smiley laugh

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Take a photo of the one and email a ton of dress shops near you and ask them if they have that dress or how much it would cost to make it!

• E
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I actually did some online searching today and..... FOUND THE DRESS!!!! For waaaaaayyyy less and it's completely within my budget so I'm going to order it and have it sent to my mom's as my FH decided he wants to be super traditional and not see the dress.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with Allison. I'm sorry this happened to you though (as it shouldn't have because your consultant should've stuck within your budget range.) I avoided looking at dresses over my budget, though "the one" for me happened to be one I came across with online and fell in love with before looking at the price (which was within my budget, thankfully.)

Of course I recently stumbled across one in my Explore feed on Instagram by the same brand that would've worked even better because a portion can be removed, but it's not as beautiful overall anyway!

• E
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Allison, thank you for your reply! I plan on sitting on it for a bit but the thing is it's one of those really timless looks very simple very elegant not too OTT. I like simple and elegant. I think you may be right I have plenty of time before I have to think about it lol Maybe I will just wait and try to find it at a later date.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would sit on your decision. It does suck that the shop pulled a dress that was double your budget, but your wedding is also in 2022, you have years still.

The dress could be discontinued at some point before your wedding, and you may find it go on sale at that point. However, styles do change and in 2021 you might find something you like better than this one!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have to agree with Tori. It’s horrible that they pulled a dress way over your budget. You can ask for discounts, the worst they are going to say is no. Make sure you for sure love the dress and wouldn’t change your mind especially this far out from your wedding.
    I have heard too many stories of women buying dresses early, spending more than they wanted and then hating it closer to their wedding because something new has come out!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

After reading the comments I would say that first of all - shame on that store for giving you a dress that is out of your budget to try on. Also, they FOR SURE have wiggle room to make it a bit more achievable so if you are absolutely sure see if you can talk to the manager about how your experience went from bliss to downright horrible. At very least they might give a discount on alterations, veil, etc.?

But if it were me personally...? I would wait till you are closer to your wedding to even try on wedding dresses. Styles change, budgets change, your taste may change!!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s not a little over- that’s double your budget. They should never have pulled that. Honestly maybe take some time and then go look for dresses elsewhere that are in your budget. If you really don’t find anything else then sit down and ask yourself if you can splurge and maybe cutback elsewhere to do it.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ask the salon if you can buy the sample (if it fits/isn't too small) they might have a bit of a discount. That might bring it close enough to the budget.

Also it sounds like the salon did not respect your budget! I tried on one over my budget and fell in love it it, thankfully I was chosing between the over budget and the on budget dress and the on budget won. I was a little miffed that the consultant had pulled one so far over budget, but she explained that she felt it suited me.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would just get it and take a bit longer to pay it off. Your wedding isn’t until 2022 so you have lots of time! But that’s just me personally!

For my dress, I only had to pay 60% when I ordered it and the remaining 40% when I picked it up!
  • E
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It was a bill of $2000 and I told them not to pull anything over $900 as I am the deffinition of broke bride lol but they pulled it anyway and I fell absolutely in love then came the "by the way this dress is a little bit above your ideal budget but if you love it you should get it." Speech and I nearly cried right then and there.
  • E
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have been looking everywhere for it other than this shop but can't seem to find it. I'm almost at the point of settling for something else.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on how much more expensive the price tag is. Is it $1,000 or $2,000 more? I’d just buy it and take a bit more time to pay the bill off your credit card. You won’t want to regret not getting your dream dress.

If it’s $2,000 plus more than anticipated, I would definitely ask if someone could help contribute as part of their gift to you.
    Or save, save, save and buy it in a few months?
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know the feeling...I was in Paris when I found "The One" and I thought how cool would it be to have a dress that was from Paris?! But I saw the price tag and just had to say no, because 1) I had already bought a dress back home 2) how would I get it home safely 3) I couldn't max out my credit card while I still had a week and half of my vacation (and France is not cheap!) 4) it felt wrong to ask family for the money since they're helping pay for the rest of the wedding. There was no rational reason to buy it unfortunately. In your case I'd be calling around and asking if they have something similar or keeping my eye out for someone selling the dress that they've already used for their wedding
  • Danielle
    Frequent user July 2022 Manitoba
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Can you find it *anywhere* else? Consignment shops, online, on a clearance rack at another shop? Or maybe a similar one?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics