Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Beginner April 2019 Ontario

What struggles as a bride did you have during wedding planning? how'd you overcome it?

Michelle, on April 6, 2019 at 23:09 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21

Hi all!

I have 13 days left to go [Marrying on April 20]. I actually had a breakdown with my FH about the struggles I've had since Jan. 2018 and how I haven't had the best time planning our wedding due to factors such as: finances, booking appointments, some stubbornness or lack of cooperation from the wedding party just to name a few.

It's all so overwhelming. I do try to be happy and grateful for what we have accomplished together but sometimes I feel in a perfect world, things could've been worked out better.

Any advice to turn this frown upside down?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on May 28, 2019 at 10:45
  • Erin
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

At the end of the day, this is a celebration for you and your fiance. I have learned in my planning process that there will be people you thought would be there for you, that aren't, which has made me so much more thankful for those that did. It'll work out, just remember what it's all for.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It did go well and even the rain cleared up for us after the ceremony Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It was great! thank you Smiley smile

• Terri
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hope all went well on your wedding day. Congratulations!

• Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have a beautiful day tomorrow! Smiley smile
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Congrats on your elopement! I kinda wish I had one instead aha.

At the moment, I feel nervous, anxious, it hasn't sunken in yet. I've been watching vlogs of other brides on youtube and i feel so happy for them as they go through the same emotions as me in a way. I'm waiting for the excitement to start. I'm more worried about if I forget something really and also how the day will go. I know things will never go as planned and I have to accept that and be ok with it.

Good luck on the destination wedding and congrats again!

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You're so close to being in the clear!

I am still waiting for the "fun" part of wedding planning to kick in/ super excited for it be over. We have our elopement on April 27th, which was super easy to plan as it's only dinner with 12 people. Our destination wedding on May 20th is a whole other story. Any problem that could arise, did arise.

BUT! It will be worth it in the end. Just remember not to put so much pressure on yourself, and know that everything will fall into place.

Congratulations to all of you!

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow! 4 brides including myself with the same date!

Kudos to you for challenging yourself with the wedding planning. It definitely got more overwhelming near the end, but I hear it's normal? Lots of curve balls and unexpected obstacles. It is helpful when the FH helps for sure and to have that kind of attitude and perspective. Good luck on wedding planning and your day!

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're telling me! I wanna get it over with as well lol

I also didn't think the little things would take up more time to coordinate or get settled. yea I definitely need to breathe more and I'm trying to make me time when I can alone or with my hubby. Yes gotta be positive, we CAN AND WILL do it!

Good luck to you and your FH wedding!

• Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Date triplets! We have nine days left, ladies! My planning certainly could have been smoother and better organized, but as a disorganized individual by nature, I think I have done pretty darn good! There are many details, and they can be overwhelming and stressful. Last week, with the help of my FH, I've switched to an "it is what it is" attitude, and I've def felt much better. I will say that, for me, it's all about perspective.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Date twins!
    I do very much just want to be on the other side of it.

We’re leaving Toronto for our destination city in 2 days so I feel like we have less time to prepare with our own resources.

Prior to this point, I’ve been pretty chill about the process. We’re nixing many of the norms and have a coordinator but there’s still a number of little things that need to be completed before we leave.

I guess the important thing is to just do the best that you can, and hold on tight to your joy no matter what.

And we need to remember to breathe! Hang in there! We can do it! 💜
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh no! Feel better hopefully before your wedding!!!

That is an intimate wedding you have! I bet it's easier to manage/reach out to people.

10 more days for us! Hope your planning is going well

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Bianca! Trying to get into a better head space for sure.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Vinod!

It is definitely easier said than done to take some things with a grain of salt. I'm such a people pleaser to begin with and tend to be very considerate even though I feel, within reason, my wedding party should adapt to my schedule when it comes to appointments or gatherings for the most part.
    I feel family and friends will always criticize or say "well at this wedding they did...", which is super frustrating to hear as every wedding isn't a cookie cutter type. But when I am strong enough, I will walk away or just smile and nod when things like that are said and try not to be annoyed.

The wedding party did get better. I unfortunately had to cut a friend out entirely, which was one of the best decisions I made during all this as she stressed me out more than it had to be. so just counting my blessings.

Hope you and your husband are enjoying married life! Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Becky!

Thanks for the advice! For sure the trend I've been seeing is to just enjoy the days as it gets closer and remember why I'm getting married. The past few days got a bit better for us which made us feel more confident on how our day will look like.

Hope you have a good time planning!

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HI Michelle,

I am sorry to hear about this! I have had similar issues for sure with mine and honestly with you being so close to your wedding date, I would suggest of thinking of the happy moments of the day you have planned! Just think of the fact in 13 days you will be marrying your best friend and then you can enjoy the married life! No more planning or struggles hopefully.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Best thing I can suggest is take everything with a grain of salt and just don't let it get to you. Put your foot down and don't let anyone get your hopes or mood to be upsetting.

I faced many criticism from my family and husband at the time as I was torn whom would have had taken which arm and not let me be happy with any decision made. Up to this day, my mom and brother still say things of the past and don't let go of it (mistakes on my end).

Your wedding party needs to stop being as stubborn as they are and say what can we do to make things easier. Not responding to comments being made will make them feel they have no say and you being in full decision mode.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My best advice is to focus on why you're getting married. You're going to marry the person you love and spend your lives together! All the other stuff doesn't matter in the end, just focus on you two.

• Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Date twins! I am overwhelmed myself as I've been terribly sick for 2 weeks. I am getting back to myself now and I'm doing one of the last thing tomorrow, marriage license! I've been engaged since November so it was a quick engagement and planning for 63 people
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Stephanie! It was so comforting reading this. I wish I had read up more on forums like this if I needed to rant or get advice from others sooner but better late then never!

I actually made a list of gratitude for things I was happy about while planning the wedding so it helped a bit. I'm also a people pleaser so having an 'i don't care' what people think attitude made me feel good too since the day is mainly about us is a once in a lifetime event for sure. I'm so used to considering others in decisions or what they might think but i'm trying to not think about it anymore as the day is getting closer.

On the wedding party note, I have dropped 2 friends during the planning and I am glad it happened despite the stress. I won't feel bitter seeing them in my pictures or mooching off the efforts of our wedding. But everything you said was on point and thank you for that!

I hope your wedding plans are going great! happy planning and wedding in advance! Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think we all run through some negative thoughts or feelings during the planning process for one reason or another! It might seem hard but I would try to really focus on the good!! What's something you're really happy that worked out? What are some things or details you're super excited about for the wedding day!! At the end of the day your wedding is about you and your FH, focus on you guys and the love you share and how excited you are to be together! To be honest, things might go wrong on the wedding day! Every past bride I've spoken to has said the exact same things "dont sweat the small stuff", is there one vendor being a pain? Are some decorations our of place? Did you forget your back up shoes? Is it raining? Make the best of everything and dont let stressors come between you and your FH! You're so close to your date this should be the happiest time! If some friends arent being cooperative take it up with them AFTER the wedding. I've told myself I'm doing my best to keep everyone happy for the wedding day but honestly, if any drama happens or anyone pulls a scene I will seriously question out friendship afterwards.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics