Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia

What’s everybody doing for food?!

Kl, on April 27, 2020 at 17:46 Posted in Wedding reception 0 25
How is everyone incorporating food into their big day? Are you serving dinner? If so, what’s on the menu? What type of dinner service do you think you’ll go for? Are you giving guests the option of a midnight grease coat or providing another late night treat? Anyone doing a brunch wedding or desert/cocktail reception? If you’ve recently decided to elope or scale down your celebration due to Covid-19, will you have dinner at a special restaurant afterwards or incorporate your favourite cuisine in some other way?

Details please!

25 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on May 7, 2020 at 20:17
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are getting married at a winery so all of the food is being provided for us.

Our menu is going to be buffet style. the menu that we have decided on is :

Assortments of breads & butter, Garden green salad, Grilled vegetable antipasto platter, Carved char-grilled beef tenderloin, roasted sablefish, butternut squash ravioli, crushed potatoes, seasonal garden vegetables & assortment of chef's mini desserts

• Rebecca
    Beginner October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I love the idea of a pig roast! Both my fiance and I grew up on beef farms, our dinner will be home grown roast beef with traditional fixings (potatos, turnip, carrots, rolls, gravy) Im thinking of maybe a garden salad as I have members of my family who are vegetarian. So far the plan will be just cupcakes (part of the wedding cake) and maybe chips on the some tables during the dance portion of things.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Were doing indian food buffert style!! many choices for people to pick and choose. we ordered a late night station as well. we picked everything as buffet so people will have choice so im not worried.

• M
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think we’re going to go with a bbq buffet. Pulled pork, chicken and then a bunch of sides (various salads, potatoes, veggies and buns).
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I originally wanted a brunch wedding, then realized I would have to be up super early to get ready! We went with a buffet. The venue we chose had an option of buffet or family style. We chose two meats, had a choice of some sides and some sides were decided by the chef. The dessert was also decided by the chef (it was 4 cakes--we didn't do a wedding cake so it worked well!) I don't remember our sides, but our main dishes were coconut curry pork and maple bacon chicken. At the menu tasting, we tried 14 different entrees! We were so full afterward! But, it was all delicious!

• K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yup I can see why I’m sure your guests will also go crazy for this!
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Honestly that all sounds amazing. Esp the cheese wheels in lieu of cake!
  • Kristen
    Devoted May 2021 British Columbia
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wanted to keep it laid back so we found a caterer that does Burger Bars. It wall have beef, chicken and veggie burgers with all the fixins! As well as 4 salads of our choice and other goodies included! We are extremely excited for this! Smiley smile
  • Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do what you both love to eat and make it special.

We have planned a pig roast - something unique with a wow factor and then I'm making the sides - salads etc. We are not sweet eaters so we will just minimal sweets/cupcakes and going to be doing wheels of cheese for our cake Smiley smile

• K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So good!! I would go absolutely nuts at a mac n cheese bar I love that idea. And enjoy your tasting! My menu tasting has definitely been my favourite component of wedding planning to date lol
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If all goes according to plan, we'll have a cocktail hour with a mix of five hors d'oeuvres. For dinner, it's three courses: salad or soup (it's winter so we're leaning towards soup), some carb based appetizer as the second course, and the entree which will be a choice of beef, chicken, or vegan. We'll also have a late night pastry table and a mac and cheese bar.

Our tasting is scheduled for the summer so we'll see how that goes.
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For the planned wedding, we had the cocktail hour with canapés, 4 course meal and two late night stations.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Smart call on the apps to taste at the company party so you know what's popular and good since they won't do it for the tasting. I didn't even get to eat much of the apps served except for 1 thing.
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds divine! I love this style of wedding. It’s so nice to be able to mingle with the people of your choosing. Also, apps are my absolute fav so I’m always content to gorge on them ahah.

Funny enough my venue is the usual location for my office Xmas party as well! Since we’ve had to postpone until next summer I’m going to use this years work party as an opportunity to test drive apps ahaha 😅. I’ve already had a tasting for dinner courses but they wouldn’t/couldn’t prep all the apps for me to try - understandable I guess.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our plan was always to skip a full meal. Our wedding is on a Friday evening so we are (were?) doing apps and drinks and cupcakes.

Our venue has amazing food. My office has our Christmas party there and I look forward to their stuffed mushrooms for months. We haven't nailed down the menu yet, and now it's looking like we have a lot more time to decide!
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much for your insights, Vinod!! Sadly we also aren’t able to taste test the appetizers. I like your idea of using a process of elimination to narrow it down Smiley smile We don’t have a fixed price per person - we’ll be paying for the apps by consumption. Because of this, I think we’ll be able to eliminate a few options based on price alone (e.g. local oysters - as much as I’d love to serve platters upon platters of them, I don’t think it’s in the budget!! Lol)
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What’s everybody doing for food?! 1
    This is the menu card that matched the pattern inside the Thank You card.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don't remember what we did serve in particular though I still kept the package. The hot food served by the waitstaff consisted of 3 meat and 2 veg. We didn't get to taste our apps though. Part of the choices to make was to consider kids meals too that were attending.
    Menu choosing is going to be a process you want to consider 3 steps:
    1. List all the apps and dishes that appeal to you both.
    2. Eliminate the choices by what you feel is more of your personal preference. The venue package does allow certain number of apps to serve; or paid by you (the couple) can decide upon the price range of which apps can fit the budget. Dishes from each section is good to try to know which one you will like to serve.
    3. Final decision is when you go for the tasting and make the decision of which apps and dish you do like best to eat and your guests to be served has been made. A menu card can be created if you wish for your guests to know what is being served and if late night buffet is being served at what time too. I did this so each table was given 2 on a bell with a bow used for kissing too.
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg I can see why!! Every aspect of that spread sounds absolutely dreamy. Crossing my fingers for you!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have antipasto to start - a whole bunch of stuff that I can’t even remember but my stomach was very excited about!

Then I think there’s a pasta dish to start...then guests can choose from chicken, steak or vegetarian meal, and then a raspberry crepe for dessert!
    Then we have a late night table featuring grilled cheese, pizza, pastries and sliders! We also have cupcakes for guests to have as well.
    I’m so excited for the food so I hope our day happens!!
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That all sounds mouthwatering!! Do you remember what you did for apps? Were they hot, cold, or a mix? My venue has recommended a mix of hot and cold hors d’oeuvres but I still feel lost!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose what we wanted for a tasting and loved it. The one change we made was Chicken Cordon Bleu to herbed chicken. Our menu consisted of 5 bite size appetizers during cocktail hour with 4 course plated service and late night buffet.

Salad - Garden greens

Soup - Carrot ginger

Main course - Mushroom Risotto (veg) & Herb Chicken, mini potatoes mixed and vegetable medley (non-veg)

Dessert with cake or an pastry - Crème Brule with wedding cake (family) or pastry (6 different kinds of flavours and colours chosen)

Late Night Buffet - Assorted sandwiches, Vegetable platter and fruit platter.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol. I’m not sure yet. We were thinking maybe tacos, but I’m not sure with my other two options LOL
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg your guests are getting spoiled - that’s amazing!! What are you thinking for late night snacks? FH and I are on the fence between platters of nachos and pizza, or mini sliders and grilled cheeses.

Luckily we now have a cool 16 months to decide ahah.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a 5 course meal- with both chicken and beef and then seafood for the whole table. Well also be doing a late night station.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics