Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katrina
Beginner June 2023 Ontario

What is something unique that you’ve seen at a wedding?

Katrina, on December 29, 2021 at 12:07 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
I am in the midst of planning our June wedding and need some unique ideas to make it “different”. In my lifetime, I have been to more weddings than I could count and each one seems to be the same general theme, party and entertainment. I have to say only three that I have been to, we’re incredibly unique and truly fun.

I am trying to find suggestions on something that you’ve seen at a wedding or would love to do for yours that’s just “different”. For example, a food truck, fireworks, live band? i don’t know! 🥲

11 Comments

Latest activity by Kate, on August 9, 2022 at 10:47
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A couple of things I think are neat that we are having on our special day:

Signature Cocktail - which we are having a photo of our pup and naming it after her (nice way to incorporate a pet if you have one Smiley smile)

We also hired a magician to do some strolling magic during cocktail hour. He is also very social so have no doubt he will work the crowd and I think it is a good ice breaker (we are having a smaller party, 23 people so I think this will be fitting and intimate).

We also hired a live band, two people, one on vocals and one on guitar (I think live music also gives a presence!!)

And not really VERY different but we are having "fun fact" napkins passed around with apps during cocktail hour that have facts about me and my guy Smiley heart and also a polaroid insta mini signing guestbook station (not sure how much this will get used but I thought it looked cute ha).

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If my fiance and I weren't getting married in a different province and getting married in the city we live in, we'd probably have Ukrainian food as part of our dinner and incorporate both of our cultures since we both are Ukrainian and Polish

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing fireworks, his & her cocktails and a late night snack dish of our 2 favourite foods; which is poutine and chicken wings! Im extremely excited for adding these things in our wedding.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Agreed with bringing in traditions from your culture and background. I've also been to far too many weddings and was really excited to give our friends something different with our Jewish wedding. There are a lot of things from other cultures you could incorporate too. For example, not sure why this is a Jewish wedding thingbut the meal is much more spread out so you don't just have guests sitting for hours for dinner and speeches. Guests get up to dance between courses, mingle, etc. You could add other things inbetween as we. Personally, I can't stand sitting for hours at the beginning of a reception - especially if I don't know a lot of people/am not close with both sides. I love speeches but again... It's a lot especially for guests who maybe won't connect as well.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's awesome. Are there are particular Portuguese ceremonies that you're incorporating? As someone who's Chinese, we held a tea ceremony for our elders.

Incorporate Portuguese menu items into your reception (coxinha as appetizers, natas as part of the dessert table etc) is also an easy way to make things unique for your guests, who are probably used to the same ol bacon wrapped tenderloin and chicken supreme dishes at most weddings. Custom cocktails as a signature drink is also a good way to give things your own flair.

• Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We both come from full Portuguese families so we will definitely be incorporating our cultures & honouring our grandparents ☺️
  • Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Cutest idea! Yeah, with my long dress, it may be caught in the scooters 😅
  • Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was actually thinking of hiring a quartet as well! It’s just so peaceful and would be lovely during cocktail hour ☺️
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Incorporating different cultures into your wedding is a sure-fire way to generate some excitement while making things unique. A lot of my friends are 2nd or 3rd generation Canadian but they still brought in some traditions and ceremonies from their ancestors to maintain a sense of connection to their culture.

• Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When my aunt and uncle got married in 2019 they left the ceremony on those scooters you rent in most major cities. Drove around on them for a little while and then came back for their reception. It's not for everyone, but I thought it was pretty cool. She had a shorter dress though, I wouldn't do that with a regular wedding dress.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a quartet for the ceremony. I'm so excited for it. It isn't totally different but it does make so much difference in the feeling of the ceremony. I was at a wedding once with strings and it was magic. It made everything more somehow. I loved it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics