Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynne
Newbie August 2019 Quebec

What is a normal price for a photographer?

Lynne, on July 25, 2018 at 21:29 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21

Before I start searching for a photographer, what do they normally charge and what should it consist of? Any advice would be so appreciated!!

21 Comments

Latest activity by Kaisha, on July 29, 2018 at 14:02
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I found they ranged anywhere from $1500-$4000. The one we chose was about $2500 for the entire day. I met with a cheaper photographer and it was about $1600 for 8 hours and she wasn't was professional as I would like. I decided it was worth it to splurge on the photographer as it will be our memories.

• Maureen
    Curious October 2018 Ontario
    Maureen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We took a shot with a very new company getting 8 hours with 2 photographers for $850 taxes in. We booked 2 years in advance of the wedding and they have blown up!

Current packages start around the $3000 mark, it was stressful taking that kind of risk but i am confident in their abilities now that i have seen all the wedding these past few years.

• Lynne
    Lynne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you all for these amazing replies. I truly appreciate all these tips and will definitely keep these in mind when meeting with photographers. There's a lot to think about.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were 2900 for photography and videography for 12 hours!
    Sounds amazing but we did actually win the videography package which had a value of 4000 and because were on a Friday the photo package was cheaper too!! Probably an 8k package for under 3k I'm thrilled!!! Go to bridal shows and sign up for EVERYTHING!!!
  • Nicole
    Newbie August 2018 British Columbia
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I paid $4800 in the Vancouver area for our photographer. I did a lot a research and wanted to go with someone who’s style I liked. It was the one thing I was willing to spend a lot of money on because you’ll be looking at these photos forever.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

100% varies on all the packages. Ask your venue if they have "preferred vendors". The location we chose has a list of vendors that they work with frequently. The photographers offered discounts for individuals having their wedding at that venue.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like everyone else said, it's 100% dependent on what you expect for quality, time, and # of photographers. 1 vs 2, including a videographer or not, 6 hours on the day? 12 hours on the day?

I was deciding between 2 photographers, because I was willing to cut videography, and only have 1 photographer, so I could have it be under $2000. So one was $1500, the other was $1800... LOOK AT THEIR PORTFOLIOS! Like a lot of it... not the perfectly edited photos they picked for their website... The photographer we went with, her photos are 100x better quality than the $1500 guy... and it wasn't based on price, it was their ability and their passion.

Many, MANY photography companies can charge around $3000+...

The main thing is, nowadays having your engagement session included is kind of the 'norm'. It's a great way to get to know your photographer (and vice versa), before photos on your big day.

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our photographer is 2500$. This includes travel, an engagement photo session, and 10 hours on the day of. There’s also two photographers which is perfect because then my fiancé and I can both get photos before the wedding with our wedding parties
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As others said - it depends on so many factors. Where you are (major cities cost more than small towns, as a rule), their experience, whether they shoot with one photographer or two, if they have assistants, the number of hours and other things included in the package...

One thing I -do- know though is you get what you pay for. If you hire a 1000$ photographer instead of the 2500$ photographer, you will see a difference.

When I was looking in Edmonton, I found costs from about 750$ up to 10,000$, with the average being ****$ for photographers. Start by figuring out what your budget is (for me, it was ****&dollarSmiley winking and go from there. If there's anything unique about your wedding (theme, setting, etc), let photographers know when you speak with them - many are willing to lower their price to get unique shots for their portfolio (Our photographer usually charges ****$ for the package we got - we are paying 2000$ because of some of the unique aspects of our wedding she wants to photograph).

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It varies as it depends on the photographer’s experience and skill set.

Our photographer told us that typically most photographers in our area charge $300 per hour, but that’s on an hourly basis rather than per package.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everywhere we were looking in Manitoba people were $2,000-$4,000.... Of course I'm not paying that kind of money so I was thankfully able to get a coworker who does some photography on the side to commit to doing my wedding photo's and engagement photo's. She isn't a professional but her work is amazing and she has already done one other wedding so far. If you can find a newbie then it should be closer to the $1,000 mark and on top of that they will be more than grateful!

• Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also any photographer you meeting with should go over all of this before asking if you want to book
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It can definitely vary, my photographer is about to raise her prices but is very talented and professional. You can tell she knows what she’s doing, we have all day excluding pre-ceremony photos for 1700$
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It definitely varies not only with experience and packages but also where you live/location. I think it tends to be more in bigger cities. (That I’ve noticed anyways) when I was looking the price varied from $2000 and up. I was looking for an experienced photographer and certain style. So ours is $2500 for the day plus 2 nights hotel (destination wedding) it doesn’t include engagement photos though. We were originally going to get married in Edmonton and it would have been $3200 for 8 hours, plus engagement and second shooter (using same photographer). So there is so many variations that effect the price.
  • Julia
    Frequent user June 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Prices vary based on what they offer, I found that a lot of photographers charge a lot when they offer prints and expensive albums as part of their package and don't let you customize, or they will charge you for the rights to print. I would do you research based on what you are looking for, talk to people, look at their photos online.

We made a long list of photographers and then went through and put their package pricing, those who we considered to be reasonable we looked into further and narrowed it down based on what the packages included and then even further by who's photos we liked the most. At the end of it we found the perfect photographer who is going to give us the full day package, not charge us for silly prints or albums, and gives us the digital files and printing rights. He wasn't the cheapest by most definitely wasn't as ridiculously priced as some of the photographers out there.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine is 1500 and includes an engagement session, but I was quoted 3000 by one lady and 3100 by someone else. Ummm, no thank you! I'm all for paying good money but that is just ridiculous! The cheapest one is actually my favourite anyway. Her photos are amazing!!
  • Lynne
    Lynne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you all for your replies!
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

$1,100 to $2000 generally is the average including engagement shoots.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd say the average price I've noticed in here it between $1500-$2000.
    We are paying $1700 and that includes unlimited hours, two photographers for the ceremony, one photographer and an assistant for the rest, all the photos professionally edited with copyright, and it also included a 1 hour engagement shoot with unlimited photos.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is something that varies so much based on how much experience the photographer has, how many hours are included, and how many finished photographs you receive. I’d like to say that I think $2000 is average for a photographer (including engagement shoot).
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Prices can start st $1500 including the engagement shoot.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics