Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

What has been the most surprising part of being engaged?

Lynnie, on June 18, 2018 at 10:26 Posted in Before the wedding 0 26

What has been the most surprising part of being engaged so far? Did it feel really different to be engaged? Are you surprised how much you loved (or hated) the attention? Was it really tough to get used to wearing a ring or using the word "fiancé(e)"?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Next Question: Confession time - what are you surprisingly obsessed with?

To start from the beginning, click here: Wedding Planning Surprises

26 Comments

Latest activity by Kaisha, on November 18, 2018 at 01:12
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I still hate wearing my ring, I take it off the second I get home. But if i leave the house with out it I feel naked.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance actually gave me a "promise ring" about three months after we started dating - he's in the military so he had to leave for 6 months on a course and wanted me to know that he ws serious about our relationship. It was a really cute ring with two hearts on it so once I got my engagement ring that is quite a bit bigger - it took only a day to get used to it since I had been wearing this other ring for a year already.

The attention is a love/hate thing. I don't usually like all the attention but its nice when someone oogles over your ring and congratulates you, but when they ask all of the details its a little annoying sometimes since we've just started planning and its already slightly overwhelming as is haha

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The attention was good but the constant question about when the wedding will be and ppl trying to invite themselves?

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I actually liked the attention haha

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Referring to my fiancé as that has felt more "grown up," and planning for our wedding has been wonderful and different. I'm not crazy for the attention, but it's been bearable.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Switching over to husband is so hard lol I prefer the word fiancé still hahah.

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely “Fiancé” for me!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Engagement felt great to have team work and sacrifices to one another showing the love for affection. It had a feeling of just being a couple.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    How okay my parents were with me being so young. I mean they got married about the age I’ll be at the wedding but still, they were super happy about it
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm most surprised at how normal it felt..liek as if we had always been engaged if that makes sense. I was obviously over joyed but something felt so right, normal and natural about it.
  • Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I can't seem to get myself to call him my fiance, I keep referring to him as my boyfriend - he corrects me all the time. I don't know it juts feels weird to me. I'm definitely looking forward to calling him my husband, but this 'in between' phase it's so ugh to me.

I'm also finding myself not being so into screaming in at the top of my lungs all the time, it's like I don't want it pointed out. I think this is solely because I hate being the centre of attention and I feel like everyone knows my business if I tell, total strangers mind you. All my close family and friends know of course.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We both got used to calling each other fiancé/e pretty quick but it was surprising that after about 6 months we both referred to the other as boyfriend/girlfriend
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

At first, there was nothing very surprising, but now I'm getting more and more excited to marry him. I was nervous to tell people at first because it is a lot of attention but now I'm so used to it that it feels completely normal.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The most surprising part about being engaged has been just how actually excited I am to marry him. We’ve been together so long now, that I didn’t think I’d be this over the moon about it. I mean, nothing is really going to change in our day-to-day lives, but to actually be his wife, I’m am so excited!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the fact that it doesn't getting old... Being asked about the wedding, compliments on the ring... the big giddy smile I still get when he introduces me as his fiance... I'm still just as into it now as I was 6 months ago.

I'm excited to get married, but I'm totally enjoying the engagement too.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL I agree with this forsure!!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha that's basically what I was going to say! Smiley xd

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It was a bit weird to get used to wearing a ring but I think the biggest surprise is how much wedding talk seems to monopolize the day to day conversation. Even when I try avoid wedding talk for a day it usually doesn’t even make a meal.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think anything really surprised other than how fast people started giving opinions about wedding stuff.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's changed too much, except that I do feel more confident in how much he wants me to be apart of his life forever. I've always been VERY emotional about how I feel about him.

I never expected to find someone I loved. It sounds silly, but I thought there was something 'broken' in me where I didn't quite know how to feel love properly as a product of my upbringing. It's VERY overwhelming to feel the way I do about him and VERY scary.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It felt surreal to me for a week, I kept thinking I was going to wake up and it would have been just a dream. It wasn't until we got home from vacation and started talking about dates that it felt real

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For us it was unexpectedly getting the feels when we found our venue.

It was early in the process and I think we tried to approach things very pragmatically. Neither one of us expected to get giddy about our venue...and then that experience made it/things real.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nothing really. I was excited to say fiance, but the excitement disappeared quite quickly.

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The most surprising thing for me is that it doesn't feel any different. Like it's exciting and I can't wait but I don't feel any different. I hope I have that honeymoon phase feeling when we are newlyweds

• Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oooff thinking of it that's probably a couple of things;
    - how emotional (in a good way) FH reacted (I asked him, his response was super cute)
    - how over the moon my father is about it
    - how long it took me to not feel uncomfortable explaining about the whole proposal (most people ask about it as you guys probably know but they hardly expect the girl to ask, I actually only got positive replies to it but it was very scary to me in the beginning and made me shy talking about it)
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have chubby fingers so I was never able to wear fake rings growing up - so I had no intention of wearing a wedding ring. I was going to get it tattoo'd on or wear a ring on a necklace. But alas! I have come to love wearing it and it is now a part of me Smiley ring

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics