Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Featured August 2022 British Columbia

What does your guest list look like?!

Amanda, on November 8, 2022 at 21:59 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 28

Are you hosting a huge bash or a more intimate celebration? Are your invites going to mainly friends, or family? How did you decide on the number of guests?

My husband and I only chose close friends and immediate family attend our big day. No extended family, cousins of cousins etc. We both wanted a small wedding no matter what plus having our wedding in a different province made that choice so much easier! We had 38 guests Smiley heart

What does your guest list look like?! 1

28 Comments

Latest activity by Derek, on December 7, 2022 at 00:08
  • D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It was! It was a good fit for our venue and everyone had a great time.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

72 is still a great number!

• D
    Devoted September 2022 Alberta
    Derek ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We originally planned for about 100 guests, but the actual number was around 72 (large number of guests unable to come from another province). My wife's family was the largest group, followed by my co-workers.
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think 83 is a great number!

• Lisa
    Curious June 2023 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are at 83 guests, including ourselves and all-day vendors.

My ideal wedding would be 60 guests or less (I had this unrealistic dream of 35-50). He keeps adding new people! LOL

My side of the guest list is mostly family and almost entirely out of province, his side of the guest list is mostly friends and entirely in-town.

We shall see what the RSVPs look like, but so far it sounds like about 90% of our Save the Date recipients will be attending.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You really don't realize how big your family is until you really look into it! When I did that with my family I had over 150 people on my side alone. That's when we were both like no, lets have a small wedding

• A
    Beginner July 2023 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have about 100 guests on our list.
    We wanted a small wedding but didn’t realize how big our families actually are lol. We wanted our cousins, aunts, and uncles there since it’s really the only time we all get together. About 12 of those guests are children and only a few close friends invited.
  • Belle
    Curious July 2023 Alberta
    Belle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so true... it doesn't bug me it's more like where do you get off lol
  • Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey if people are at your work and giving you slack that's on them! We didn't invite anyone for either one of our jobs. People get so butt hurt these days over weddings it's crazy !
  • Belle
    Curious July 2023 Alberta
    Belle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are sitting at 120, but we know a number of them cant travel but want them to know if they can they are welcome! We have a mix of family, friends we call family, friends and a couple work friends as well... people at work have given me most slack about not being invited, but Im also new at my job so it makes it weird.

In the end whatever makes sense to you and your forever partner is whats best!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's awesome! Love the bonfire in the evening!

I think small weddings are really becoming popular this day in age!

• Laurence
    Newbie September 2023 Ontario
    Laurence ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Love to see the small weddings here! We have 26 guests + us for our ceremony and dinner which is about 10 family members + 15 friends, and we're inviting another 32 people to join us for the after party to celebrate our marriage with an open bar, bonfire and late night snacks. I can't wait!

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! I am getting excited too and nervous. Even though the big things are done I have a few small details to get done and the days keep flying.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm super excited for you!! I can't wait to see pictures in the summer. I love Banff!

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have a guest list of 40 people. This includes the bride and groom and our wedding parties as well. My list consists of mostly family, and 3 friends with their respective partners whereas my FH is mostly friends with a few family members.

I am super excited for our micro wedding in Banff and since we sent out our save the dates 2.5 months ago, people have already started booking their accommodations!

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am happy with my numbers and happy we went small.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think 45 is a great number! We had invited 65 but because of us having a destination wedding we knew that a few wouldn't make it

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted a big wedding with all my friends and family, but my budget only allowed us a small intimate wedding our numbers 45, and I am sure we will have cancelations.

I have friends who are family, I invited the people that mean the most to me and that I would be heartbroken if they weren't there. on the exception of my brother and his GF. He's my brother is the only exception. Family drama don't come at me, but if they cancel, I already have their replacements.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a small wedding less than 100 guests and fulfilled our hearts being enough with family and close friends present. Just the moment of being with them is the best as our Indian weddings can be big as 450 guests in total. Some destination weddings are small due to the financial aspect of the guests who can afford the costs.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I personally love small weddings! I'm Ukrainian and I've been to weddings where there's like 400-500 people and it's alot to handle!

Which provincial park?!
  • Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our guest list keeps fluctuating but has mostly been around the 150 mark. We have a fairly big group of friends, who are all friends (so not easy to leave anyone out, tho there really isn't anyone we would want to), plus soccer friends, work friends, and family.

We are cutting down a bit by not allowing kids under the age of 16, aside from those in the wedding party, and my nephew's kids.

• K
    Beginner September 2023 British Columbia
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I loooove this new trend(?)!!! We’re getting married next September and we have 21 guests! Getting married in a provincial park and taking everyone out for dinner after!
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally! I also think it gives you perspective for other people's weddings because you then get a true sense of the planning and costs, etc. It's taught me to take nothing personal for others big day. For example : one of my good friends felt bad about not having me in her bridal party and even numbers with her side and her husbands was important to her and her husband only had 3 so I kept reassuring her not to sweat it and I was just happy to be there and see her get married! A bride does not need anymore stress from people that is for sure!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And you are so right! It really is at the end of the day your wedding! Choose who you want to have and honestly don't worry about other peoples feelings. If they get but hurt for not getting invited, that's on them not the couple!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My husband and I pretty much did the same thing when we were talking about guests. Who do we really talk to and do we see them a lot. And how close are we with them as well!

• Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have approximately 125 including us and our wedding party. I'm hoping to keep the list down to 100 (the minimum requirement). My family is quite small and he doesn't have any family at all. It is turning out to be mostly our closets friends with a big chunk of his co-workers that he is close to. As Amanda said - I didn't want all those co-workers but I had to bite the bullet cause when he moved in with us, he left a lot of the rift raft behind. And if he wants to invite the daily work guys, I can't complain about it. We both have one couple on our side, that are invited, that the other has never met - so kinda worked out. Learned to pick my battles Smiley sexy

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a small celebration Smiley smile 23 people which was mainly family and my husband and I had a set of friends. It truly was perfect. We made the decision by thinking about when we look around the room who do we want to see, who would we "not really miss" if they weren't there. It was pretty easy because we have small families and small group of friends so I'm thankful it was not too hard but my heart goes out to those people where it's a really struggle. Definitely gets tricky when you want to invite one couple or a group and then it would be odd to not invite the other group/couple even though maybe you could do without them being there...

At the end of the day though you have to do what feels right and what you can live with! Smiley heart

• Amanda
    Newbie September 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having about 100 people including the wedding party, haven't sent out invites yet so it's likely to be a lower number. My side of the family is 23, his is 5. But he has a mass amount of friends that are as close as siblings.

We decided who by thinking "is this someone I would be happy to see in my wedding videos/photos" But also shaving things down based on how long we've known them. How often do we see them. How close are we to them really. It's a tricky task. Especially when everyone knows you're getting married, and you don't want to hurt feelings.

But at the end of the day all that matters is us. It's our day. 💜

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics