Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

What do you do with your engagement ring?

Stephanie, on December 21, 2017 at 12:09 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 29

My fiance asked me what I'm doing with my engagement ring for the ceremony. I have no idea! Is there a proper thing to do? What are you doing?

29 Comments

Latest activity by Tradingabyss, on January 8, 2018 at 05:05
  • Tradingabyss
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Tradingabyss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It makes more sense to me that you never take your engagement ring off and he just gives you the wedding band, isn't that the point of the two rings? However I think I prefer the idea of him putting both rings on my finger during the ceremony! Never thought about it, I guess its a preference thing!

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree, I like the idea of putting them on together. At the moment I was planning to wear my engagement ring on my right hand, since with also fits.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Engagement rinfmgs can be part of a set that os connected to your wedding band. So.e choose to keep as teo seperate rings. I know my brother got a second ring not connnected to his wife's ring.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding band is part of a set with my engagement ring, and can sit either above or below my engagement ring so I’ll have my FH slide it so it sits above my engagement ring then flip it so it’s on the bottom in time for the pictures.
  • Breanna
    Curious October 2019 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Breanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I totally didnt think about this either!! It fits my right hand so maybe I'll wear it there then switch back afterwards. But I like the idea of putting both on at the same time too
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have heard of a lot of people not wearing it during the ceremony but slipping it back on in time for the reception so this is what I was planning on doing.

• Anastasia
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Anastasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Havent thought of this! (Always the little things, hey?) My wedding band will be jacket-style so I think I'll keep my engagement and wedding rings together and he can put it on as one at the ceremony. I suppose you could do this even if the wedding ring isn't jacket-style
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I'm just going to keep mine on my ring finger. I don't want to lose my ring!

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I can totally understand there! But I don't wear it to work anyways because I work in a greenhouse so I think I should be able to hold out. I'm glad someone has done this before 😊
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will just keep it on my ring finger and put the wedding band as well when the time comes Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My friend did. Her only complaint was that she missed her engagement ring while it was being done, and once she got it back, it was tough to not wear it.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Me either! But I have a second reception the week after in a different province and I am constantly worrying about my ring even though I don't have to, so I don't want to worry about two lol. I don't have to much going on that week other than decorating so I'm not too worried about wearing it that week. But I'll have to double check with my jeweller. I haven't heard whether it's bad luck or not to get it done prior (I'm a little superstitious but only North American wise lol I work with a lot of people from around the world that have multiple views)
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've never heard of that before but if you plan on doing that it's a smart idea to do it before the ceremony. Just remember you won't have your engagement ring for a few days before the wedding in order to do that. My FH suggested that I get them together after the wedding but I don't know if I will or not yet
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do people fuse the rings together before the ceremony? Is that a thing? I was kind of considering it... I am super unsure!
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm going to talk to my fiance about this or our marriage commisoner about what she has seen. But like a lot of people are saying put it on the right hand or keep it one your left. My engagement ring is not coming off my hands. Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm just gonna wear it on my ring finger, my wedding band is just a small ring that fits fine with my engagement ring.

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like this idea a lot!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this is what I am going to do. I like the idea of having a clear finger for the wedding ring to go onto. Ring fits on my right hand as well; I don't like letting it out of my sight! haha

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I put it on the opposite hand. Once the ceremony was over, I put it back on the correct hand.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just wore mine for the whole day. My husband put the matching band on during the ceremony and then I just flipped the rings later on.

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe you wear it on your right hand for the ceremony. Once the ceremony is over, place it back on your left hand. Smiley smile

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be putting it on my right hand for the ceremony. Then once we are done with the ceremony in will put it back on my left with my wedding band. This is a popular one but there isn't really a "proper" thing to do. Pretty much whatever you want to do!
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have no idea f there is a proper protocol... I think you can do whatever you want! We decided to only get one ring so my engagement ring is my wedding band... So i have been wearing it on my right hand since i got and will switch it to my left hand during the ceremony Smiley smile
  • Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a great idea too!

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My sister did this - her husband put her band on top and then she switched it after the ceremony. I had my bands soldered to my engagement ring before my wedding, so it was one ring that my husband only to put on my hand.

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am going to wear mine on my right hand during the ceremony, but also I heard of people just wearing it on their left hand and putting their wedding band on top of their engagement ring and switching it later.

• Taylor
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am going to put mine on my right hand for the ceremony and then back on the ring finger with my wedding band, so I can show it off at the reception! and include both in pictures

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm going to wear mine during the ceremony. I'll take it off during the get ready photos if my photographer wants to take a pic with my ring separately with my other accessories that day. I'm terrified to lose it and especially on such a crazy day I would feel better if I had it on me.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not sure if there's some kind of "formal" thing (I'd love to know if there is), but I was planning on giving it to my MOH for during the ceremony for her to keep until after it's done. I've also heard of people putting it on the right hand so it's out of the way.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics