Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jodi
Frequent user September 2018 Alberta

What did your mom wear?

Jodi, on March 16, 2018 at 15:43 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 16

My mother and I are not close at all- she is trying in recent years to be more apart of my life.

she sent me a couple pics of dresses she would like to wear to my wedding, my mother is turning 60 this year and these dresses though cute (and im sure she could rock them)- would be suitable for a 16 year old guest not a mother of the bride. (think floral spaghetti strap from Pink Lilly) super cute but just not for the mother of the bride...

I don't really know how to tell her as im really not close to her, ive left that up to my sister bridesmaid as one of her duties. what did your moms wear? did they match the wedding party?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Tracy, on March 22, 2018 at 16:18
  • Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    She found this at David's Bridal! We had checked out a few other stores near us but this one looked the best on her plus it was actually the best price as well! Love it!
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where did you find it? I'm trying to come up with ideas for shopping with mom because I know shes DREADING it. Most websites aren't helpful either because the people they have modeling the dresses don't look like any moms I know..

• Brianne
    Beginner June 2019 British Columbia
    Brianne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mum is wearing a floor length gown with a “faux” high neckline. She’s not wearing the same color as my girls, but one that compliments them. So they’re wearing a light grey-purple and she is wearing a darker more mauve colored dress.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom wore a dress that went to her knees, it was brown and then it went little over her shoulders for the top. It was appropriate for her age and she found it at a local ladies store that was meant for her age group! She wore it to my sisters wedding

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom found a dress on a facebook wedding buy and sell group. She spent $120 and is super happy with it. You never know what you might find on a facebook group!

• Sabrina
    Beginner May 2022 Ontario
    Sabrina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Traditionally - in my family and European cultures usually the MOB wears a brighter colour, pinks, dusty rose, lavender or purples whereas MOG wears darker colours, blues, silvers and greys. Don’t have to match but don’t want them to look like a 16 yo. Good luck!
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I told both my mother and my fiancé’s mother that they can wear whatever they want as long as it’s not too conservative. My mother is in her early 50’s and really modern/classy in style and my future mother in law is in her 60’s but also modern.

my mother already bought the dress and it is this one. I suggested it to her, as she wanted a low/high dress that was not “too shiny but not too simple”. I instantly fell in love with it when I saw it and imagined her wearing it!

What did your mom wear? 1

What did your mom wear? 2
  • Jodi
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is a good idea, however my mom lives a few provinces away from me. Maybe sending her some dresses I see online would be a good idea, I hate having to tell her what to wear as like I said the dresses are super cute but just not what I picture the mother of the bride wearing , I want her to feel happy and beautiful. I had said to her She’s the mother of the bride and maybe we could find her something more formal. I’m thinking a shorter dress in neutral colours that is Lacey as it is at a ranch.

What did your mom wear? 3

What did your mom wear? 4
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I told my mom and MIL to get dresses they like and feel happy in. They knew what the bridal party was wearing and i gave them free reign to get what ever they wanted. My mom is in her mid-60’s and as long as she feels good in her dress I don’t care what it looks like. She ended up getting a sparkly teal dress which is so not what she would normally get but she loves it and feel good in it so I’m happy.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mom keeps asking what her and my step dad should wear I’ve been trying to give them ideas, although we don’t have good shopping in our city for that sort of thing and she won’t shop online. I’ve just been saying to pick something neutral in colour and I don’t think they’ll match the bridal party I think just as long as they match each other and it’s a neutral colour it will look nice. She’s thinking something similar to Tracy’s mom’s dress that was posted below and I’m happy with that! I’ve offered to go shopping with her so maybe we’ll do that. It’s tough when you’re not as close hopefully your sister can get the message across or send her some pictures for an idea of what would flow better with your wedding colours.
  • Renee
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm in a similar boat! My Mil whom I love DEARLY dress more 20's and she's 50's. We have a close enough relationship that I've demanded her (pretty much lol) to let me and her go shopping and choose together on something we mutually decide on. Maybe since you are still working on building the relationship you two could go together? Or send her some inspo pics telling her you envisioned her in something along the lines of this? May help guide her and give her the hint.

Just my opinion but for something a little touchy as someone's personal style, especially when that someone is your mom, you may not want to just pawn off this task to someone else. See if you can reason with her!
  • Tracy
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol thanks, she's the best! She was so excited!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your mom is so cute. She looks so happy!

• Tracy
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just got my mom's dress last week... She will be wearing this to match my dad.

What did your mom wear? 5
  • Jodi
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow that is gorgeous!! ill check out the website. we are having a ranch wedding and a backyard after party so i understand why she choose something cutesy and floral but i would like to see her in something a little more "mother of the bridey" Smiley heart

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mum is in her 60s as well, and I think she too is having a hard time accepting that she's not in her 30s any more (I mean she dresses lovely all the time, but I think she just feels OLD and is unhappy.. even though she is SUPER young looking to me.. anyway... )

Cameron Blake seems to be a favourite designer for Mother of Bride dresses. Both my mum and my FH's mum bought from this designer. They're also carried at a wide variety of stores:

https://moncheribridals.com/mother-of-the-bride/cameron-blake/

My mum is rocking this lovely dress:

What did your mom wear? 6

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics