Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lindsay
Beginner October 2020 Alberta

What Cash Registry Is Best?

Lindsay, on January 1, 2020 at 15:00 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 17

I'm curious about which cash registry you all suggest? I've looked into Honeyfund so far. My fiancé and I would prefer cash over physical gifts so we can choose to do something or buy something we really need with it. I already have a polite way of letting people know this, but I would like to have a cash registry that doesn't cost us or our guests additional money i.e. PayPal, open a savings account? Any ideas are welcome. Thank you!

17 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on January 2, 2021 at 17:42
  • Sarah
    Beginner August 2023 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you anyway! Congrats on the wedding!
  • Lindsay
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We didn’t up doing a cash registry, those who chose to gift money either did so in their card, or some family sent us an etransfer ahead of time. We also didn’t mention anything about a registry. Basically I think people who wanted to gift us something knew money was best for us. I’m not too sure if etransfers work between countries. Best of luck and congratulations!
  • Sarah
    Beginner August 2023 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Can I ask what you ended up doing or using?
    I live in Canada but I’m from the UK. A lot of my extended family can’t make my Canada wedding but have asked where they can send me some
    money to get me started in married life so I’d like to add something to my wedding website!Any ideas? ThanksSarah
  • Layan
    Newbie December 2021 British Columbia
    Layan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Kelsie! I agree, I feel like it's a bit awkward or tacky to ask but that's just me. There's other's that have done so but I just don't know how to feel about it. There's a couple that I know that played it off as no gifts wanted at all but that was confusing too (maybe I didn't get the hint at the time! haha)

Thank you for your suggestion though! That's helpful. Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This. I think guests over the age of 50 wont be comfortable sending money online either. I run a small martial arts club and my older parents/students typically tell me they dont trust sending money online and pay me cash for their membership fees instead. Plus, I think most money registries take a percentage. This way people can just bring you a card Smiley smile
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would strongly recommend not adding anything to your invitation if you want cash in terms of gifts. It's considered rude to do so, in my opinion.

If you're looking for cash - don't have a registry listed, don't have anything listed - people will get the hint and likely bring cash anyway - it's easier to carry.

If people do happen to ask where you're registered just simply say you aren't registered but if they would like to give a gift, you would be grateful to receive cash. You can give a reason, or not, that is up to you.

• Layan
    Newbie December 2021 British Columbia
    Layan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi,

I'm kind of on the same boat with this. My fiance and I have been living together for over two years so a lot of stuff we have so it would be nice to have the flexibility to work with cash type of gifts but I'm not sure how to politely word this? Any thoughts?

Also did any of you add it into your invitation or how did you approach it?

Thank you!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would just have a money box at the wedding. i find a lot of people walk with cards to a wedding anyways i dont even think you need to register for cash on a website. my family stopped walking with boxed gifts years ago

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Best way to go about it would be to just include the phrase "presentation preffered" on the invites.

Like the others said, I would assume that most guests already know to bring a cheque or cash and when you go with an online registry for money then they always (as far as I'm aware) take a cut of it as well as most people don't trust online registries like that due to credit card fraud and whatnot.

• Lindsay
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Very true. Thanks for your input!!
  • Lindsay
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great point as well, thank you!!
  • Lindsay
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I appreciate your reply, thank you!!
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with the others, you don’t need to have a registry since cash and cheques are still good. It may also not be overly user friendly for elder guests or people might be worried about the security of the transfer and just give you cash anyway
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Kelsie, you don't need a money registry to revieve the cash. It's easier for your guests and you don't lose any to a hosting site if they stick to old fashioned envelopes with cheques or money.
    Plus most guests will bring a card or something so they don't look cheap arriving empty handed!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cash registry in the form of a cheque or cash given at the wedding is easier and then put into an account of your choice after the event. This way you know what you want to do and how to divide the money if you have house funds too for back up purposes.

Cash is always given at weddings unless there is a honeymoon package with the travel agent chosen for guests to pay on your behalf as a gift.

• Lindsay
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a really good point! Thank you!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We prefer cash as well but we aren’t doing it through any type of cash registry.

Most guests will give cash in their envelope at the wedding. For me personally, a registry isn’t necessary especially for cash.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics