Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Danielle
Frequent user July 2022 Manitoba

What are you going to/what did you do about your dating anniversary?

Danielle, on November 16, 2019 at 05:47 Posted in WeddingWire 0 16
FH asked me this a few hours ago as we were eating our anniversary dinner.

Should we continue to celebrate as we do? Do we just acknowledge it and move on? Do we ignore it?

Just a random question lol. What are your thoughts?

16 Comments

Latest activity by Ivanko, on August 21, 2020 at 10:12
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our dating anniversary is in May, but our wedding anniversary is in October. I think you can still have fun and acknowledge your dating anniversary. It's totally up to you. I think we'll do something for our wedding anniversary over our dating anniversary personally, though.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding anniversary is two days before our dating anniversary. We didn’t acknowledge it this past year. We also didn’t acknowledge the proposal date. I’m very sentimental so will always remember the dates but I surprisingly did not feel the need to celebrate them. We will always celebrate our wedding anniversary since that is the latest date.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us, our dating anniversary is a week before our wedding anniversary, and our engagement anniversary is a week after the wedding anniversary. It's one of the reasons why we chose the date for our wedding.

We decided that we are only going to acknowledge the wedding anniversary moving forward, however, if the dates are far apart (e.g. start dating in the fall and getting married in the springtime), I'd make it an excuse to have a date night.

• Danielle
    Frequent user July 2022 Manitoba
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha! Our anniversary is November 15 and we just celebrated our 5th Smiley smile he proposed on July 27th (his dad's birthday lol) and we're planning to get married July 8, 2022 unless we end up having to put our money elsewhere before then. Wink wink.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well we got engaged before our 1 year dating anniversary... lol so it doesn't mean much to us to begin with.

I'm sure for the first couple of years before we have kids we will maybe just mention it to each other and use it as an excuse to go out for a date night - but after a while more things will take precedence and we will still know what day everything is and just not "celebrate" it.

Like right now I am aware our dating anniversary is March 5th (2017) and our engagement day was December 30th (2017) but the day we said "I do" to legally be married is October 5th (2019) - yes, we chose the 5th so that it was easier to remember and yes, in hindsight I should have proposed on the 5th of January or something Smiley tongue

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding day is the day after our dating anniversary so yes we will always celebrate

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're still going to celebrate our dating anniversary (which is 10 years this Monday!) It's been such a special day for us for so long that it would feel weird to not celebrate it anymore
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our 6 year dating anniversary is coming up in December. I am sure we will acknowledge it, but not celebrate it as much as we used to.
    It really is up to you guys what you do. I think we will celebrate the bigger ones (10,15,20 years together)
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’ll definitely celebrate the one that comes in August as it’s 5 years, but after that it’ll just be our wedding anniversary. As of today though it’s officially been two years since we got engaged and we’re a week away from our wedding so that’s exciting and we might go out for dinner tonight 😁
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have always celebrated the anniversary of the day we met instead of when we started dating. We didn't do a big thing for our anniversary, so I think the marriage anniversary will be more important.

We had talked about getting married on that date, but I was worried we wouldn't have time to get everything ready by then.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We planned to get married on our dating anniversary date so it makes it easy for us! I think it’s whatever you want to do. In my opinion, it’s nice to have more reasons celebrate in life. It doesn’t have to be a big deal but nice to recognize. Smiley smile
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our dating anniversary is my birthday lol so we’ll definitely move on and not celebrate our anniversary of dating once we’re married.

To be fair, we don’t really celebrate it now anyway because of my birthday lol we don’t exchange anniversary gifts or anything like that so it won’t be much different I don’t think.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every couple makes their personal choice to celebrate or say this was when we met. Dinner together isn't going to be all the time though the wedding anniversary is more to celebrate. I know our dating anniversary is November 1, 2013 and wedding anniversary is August 25, 2017.

Your FH wants to celebrate on dating anniversary, he's being romantic.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I mean, we’ll likely always acknowledge it, but maybe not always celebrate it? we will be celebrating 10 years together shortly after we get married, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that one!
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Like Madisyn said, it's a personal choice. I know some couples that still celebrate it and others that don't, there's no specific answer. In FH and my situation, our dating anniversary happened to land on a Saturday next year, so we decided why not just make it easy and clean and just get married on the day lol. We probably would've acknowledged it in some small way if it hadn't happened that way though.
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think this is a very personal choice and it depends how significant that day is to you and if you want to keep celebrating. My parents still celebrate their dating anniversary, but FH and I have decided we won't be celebrating it anymore. We never had an "official date" so we've decided to put all our focus on the wedding anniversary 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics