Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kristen
Beginner August 2021 New Brunswick

What are you doing with covid?

Kristen, on April 21, 2021 at 07:49 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
I am just wondering what everyone else who is planning for this summer has been doing with the third wave going strong. As of right now, we aren’t even allowed to travel to our venue, but still optimistic we can put something together.
How have you approached cutting your guest list (if needed)?
How long before your wedding will you send invitations? I would also love suggestions on something we could do to make it extra special for us, after all this stress. We want to make the day just as memorable even if it’s not how we originally wanted. We also have some budget space as we can only have about half the guest we had planned.
Thanks! My heart goes out to everyone trying to plan something happy and festive in this crazy time.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on June 8, 2021 at 03:09
  • Melissa
    Beginner October 2020 Greater London
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had originally postponed from last October to this September. I am also a bit anxious as despite the vaccine rollout the news is mentioning a possible third wave. We have decided however postponing again is not something we are keen on, so even if there are some restrictions in place for example with guest numbers we will find a way to get married. A part of me is actually wondering with all the stress of planning a wedding during a pandemic that eloping seems tempting.
  • Katerina
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Katerina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice! I hope its a great day for you guys Smiley smile

• Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Covid has put all of us in an unprecedented time.

What all of us need to remember is we are marrying the person we love. Do we want our nearest & dearest there, definitely! But it may not happen. So plan the day for you and your spouse to be to celebrate your love, that's what the day is about the two of you celebrating your love for one another and making it legal. Everything else is the window dressing!

Make plans for various numbers of guest, set up an online viewing, ensure your vendors will refund/change accordingly so you don't have to pay for full guests if they are not coming!

Good luck and remember the reason for the day!

• Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Katerina, we have same date!

• Katerina
    Katerina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm hopeful with vaccine rollouts too! I hope as things keep going on that front that we will see some bigger improvements.

• Katerina
    Katerina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married in Ontario on Aug 14th, 2021. I'll admit it's a bit scary with the third wave going strong but we were planning to have max 80 guests and are ready to cut it down to 50 if needed. Our venue has a clause that if the government rules require we have any less than 50 then we get our deposit back or can change dates at no extra cost. Part of me wants to just go ahead anyways even if the restrictions get worse because it's hard to know when this will all be over. I'm hopeful that if they just keep things shut down longer than we would like now then the summer will be better.

• Zara
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Zara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be postponing the reception to next year spring and doing a civil ceremony with parents in May. This is our third time postponing unfortunately. :/

• Heather
    Newbie June 2021 Alberta
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've organized a live stream for our wedding June 26. We're sending out invitations for the live stream to all of our guests. If restrictions allow for more than 10 people, we are planning to reach out to our guests individually to see if they can attend in person. We have lists for 20 and 50 people figured out. The majority of our guests live in the Edmonton area so I don't foresee a problem with last minutes changes. Everyone understands the situation we're in is stressful.

• Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We still have our list of 100 people invite in person to our outdoor wedding. It’s July 17th and so much can change between now and then. We do have splits in our guestlist. For instance our top 10 is the officiant, us, my fiancé’s parents, my parents and then our 3 siblings. We’d be forgoing having our photographer which would be rough but that’s ok! We also have a split in the list at 50 people just in case.
    We are just going to do our best to be flexible. So much is up in the air as we wait for the date to be closer.
    Our wedding invite list is currently about 60% vaccinated with at least the first shot. So I feel pretty good about that stat. I do thing the vaccines are going to start making a more substantial dent in the community with restrictions and safety as more get the vaccines
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd imagine weddings would be just family and close friends for anyone to have their day celebrated. Bigger celebrations being held for later time would be able to have the full guest list present to share the love and happiness of the couple. For the times at home, I have started my line of greeting cards with a personalized stamp. My cards have a different look to hold gift cards, a note or money than putting it in the actual card itself. Its been keeping me busy and being crafty.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For our wedding that was supposed to be NYE, we kept pushing off the invites but sent them November 1 (everyone already knew) with Dec 1 RSVP. We sent the invites to our entire 130 person first list with a little insert that said we may not be able to have the wedding we dreamed of but will keep everyone updated. We sent them to everyone because we really wanted everyone to know we wanted them there plus we had the virtual option so we wanted them to know about that too. Once the RSVP date hit, we did have to cut our list but the RSVPs helped a lot because many were not comfortable attending or could not make childcare arrangements. Everyone was so understanding!! We also were able to have more for our ceremony and many guests actually preferred to only attend the ceremony - so it helped to know that. Last minute we had people back out so then we had a list to go from - either already coming to the ceremony and wanting to stay or we originally couldn't have attend but wanted to. Because our wedding ended up being during the second wave, we did postpone to March (we slipped right in there 🙌) but had our legal ceremony in December in the park across from our venue, still staying in the hotel across the street to celebrate on our own. I don't really have any tips for making it extra special but honestly, the "big" day was so special on its own because of how intimate it ended up being and after everything we went through. We did end up spending a bit more on florals (we had florals for both marriage day and wedding day as well), rented a giant love marquee, and hired a professional live streaming, because why not! We were paying for way less guests 🤷🏻‍♀️ If you don't already have plans to stay at a hotel the night of I'd definitely suggest that!!! As much as none of us would have planned to have two ceremonies or back up dates, I wouldn't change anything. Both of our days were beyond amazing and so so special. Happy to help in any other way if I can! 💜
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got married in November during the peak of the second wave. The best advice I can give is to just make as many plans as you can and to be flexible. At a certain point it's out of your hands, so focusing on what you can control is really helpful and making multiple plans about the things you can't control is the only way to really deal with the uncertainty.

With cutting the guest list, I'd make plans for different numbers of people (i.e. 50, 25, 10) and then do your best to determine who those people would be. Because things are so crazy don't feel pressure to invite anyone you don't want there or don't know. So no plus ones for new partners, no aunts/uncles you don't have a relationship with, no co-workers you only see at work, etc. I personally think the easiest route is to just do immediate family, grandparents if they're still around, and maybe a handful of best friends - all dependent on gathering restrictions obviously.

Your day will be memorable no matter what! We got married in a public park with 6 guests and had dinner just the two of us at home - it still felt really special and I wouldn't change it if we could do it again (although I would have liked to have my family at the ceremony).

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We just cancelled our originally planned wedding last night.

We are moving our ceremony up and if we can do a reception this July we’ll do something with family only.
    It is what it is at this point!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I have just postponed our August 7 wedding to next summer. With all these restrictions in place still and for BC gatherings are a no go until at least May long weekend (could be longer if they continue to extend it) We want to have a somewhat of a normal wedding. We want to have most of our family and friends to be there with us as well as for receptions if they are allowed by then, it might be the same as last summer where everyone would be stuck at their tables and not be able to mingle with everyone. Also they might not be able to have dancing in the evening and that's one thing we would really hate to miss out on. We want to be able to remember our wedding for years to come and not regret anything

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics