Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mirna
Newbie December 2018 British Columbia

What are some garter toss alternatives?

Mirna, on February 1, 2018 at 11:45 Posted in Wedding reception 0 14

I do not feel comfortable doing the traditional garter toss.. what would be some other ideas I could do?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Carmela, on February 4, 2018 at 15:23
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I so agree with you. I just don’t feel comfortable having my groom climb under my dress and grab my garter with his teeth. No thank you!
  • Mirna
    Mirna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yea see I just don't want akwardness.. I want everybody having fun! Thanks ladies for all the advice!! I am going to skip it Smiley smile
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Skip it? My cousin did the traditional bouquet toss/garter toss, and the guys all joked to run away from the garter... I didn't think it was funny, neither did she, and they had to do it twice.

You could totally do the bouquet toss if you still wanted without doing the garter toss... later in the night just for the girls. The tradition is the two people who catch them are supposed to share a dance... but if the majority of your guests aren't single, that could get awkward... and the staged tosses (where you toss it directly at certain people) aren't fun.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is a good idea, definitely consider that. Like I said I really don't care if we do or not, my fiance wants to so if people see it or not doesn't matter to me lol thanks!!
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My sister-in-law didn't plan to have a garter toss at her wedding, but her fiance surprised her with one. They did it on the dance floor around 10:30-11:00pm, most people were dancing around them or gone. I didn't even know it happened until later. That could be an option, so it doesn't take away from anything but still hold the tradition Smiley smile

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm totally undecided. I want to but like it's not a huge loss if we skip it. My fiance really wants to do it, but like it's been mentioned I don't really want to take away for party time. We still have over a year to decide and either way I'll be happy so right now we have no idea. As for a alternative we probably wouldn't replace it, just skip entirely.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just like everyone else we're just shipping these and not replacing them with anything else. I do not want my FH reaching up my skirt in front of my dad. No thanks.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be skipping the bouquet and garter toss. We aren't doing anything in its place. People will be dancing at I don't really want to interrupt that!

• Lina
    Frequent user May 2018 Alberta
    Lina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The other option could be the grooms pocket square or lapel flower pin.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just skipped it and didn't replace it with anything!!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We skipped this and the bouquet toss entirely. Don't think anyone noticed or cared to be honest. You could just have the groom have a garter in his pocket and he could backwards slingshot it into the crowd I suppose.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We skipped right over the garter and bouquet toss and no one even noticed. I think a lot of people aren't really doing that anymore. I can't remember the last wedding I went to that had one. I didn't even wear a garter.

• Mirna
    Mirna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much!!

• Hollie
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Hollie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally am not doing anything for it. I don't feel comfortable doing it either and his family is quite conserved.

I did look at some alternatives though, here is one article that might give you some ideas.

https://www.brides.com/story/wedding-garter-toss-etiquette

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics