Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Veronica
Super October 2021 Alberta

What & where will be your wedding feast?

Veronica, on January 13, 2020 at 22:28 Posted in Wedding reception 0 25

Hello Wedding Wire people!

When FH and I started talking about our dream wedding, it became quickly apparent that having the most delicious food would have to be a major party of the day! We even called our wedding "The Big Fancy Dinner" for the longest time. So we knew that having a venue that served up a great feast would be a major requirement. We also knew that we wanted to do a multi course plated dinner. So we chose a local farm to table restaurant, Bow Valley Ranche to host our reception (and ceremony too!).

I want to hear all about the eats at your wedding! Will it be a dinner? Plated? Buffet? Cocktail hour style? Food trucks? Did food influence your choice in venue?

Give me all the details!

25 Comments

Latest activity by Gloria, on January 17, 2020 at 23:06
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing plated. Technically we’re doing a bit of everything lol. So we’ll have hors d’uerves served after ceremony.

Then we have antipasto, dual pasta, dual entree, dessert... as plated. Plus a plate of seafood for each table. Then we’re doing wedding cake... plus a late night station.... we also have an open bar so we’re probably going to do a bunch of carbs for late night station lol. Everyone that’s gone to weddings says that after they’re plastered there’s nothing better than some carbs to continue munching on.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Were doing buffet style with many food choices. we have a lot of vegetarians, people who dont eat beef or pork or both so its just easier buffet style lol

• Kadi
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Kadi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a pig roast, potato and salad bar. Cheep and yummy!!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm actually so excited for our food! We did our tasting in October and it was delicious - I just haven't been back to sample the wines yet - I had surgery the day after our tasting and couldn't have alcohol the day before but fingers crossed the wines are just as good as the food!

We're having an antipasto bar with all of the standard fare, to start. Guests will then be served a pasta dish, with salad, their choice of chicken, beef or veg entree and then a raspberry crepe for dessert.

We're having a midnight table as well with cupcakes, pastries, fruit and a pizza, slider and grilled cheese sandwich bar (YAAASS!) - I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what we did for our late night snack!! Was so good!

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad that worked out so well! Smiley laugh

We are doing a poutine bar for our late night snack, omnom!

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

All that food sounds so goood! Yum.

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

S'more bar sounds so good! Nice ideas Smiley smile I am sure everyone will enjoy getting to party it up.

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh that is great news!!!! Happy surprise haha.

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! I remember hearing all about this as you were planning. That all sounds so good and mouth watering.

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds delicious!!!!!

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awesome! I agree, I think plated is a bit more of an elegant touch.

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mmmmmm that all sounds amazing. So glad to hear you got compliments on the food. If anything, I want the dinner to be remembered the most. Or maybe second to my dress. Ha!

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mmmm antipasto! I am curious to hear how family style works for you! I like the idea of it, but if it was me I would worry I would want to take to much from the plates hahaha.

Good score on getting the deal as well!

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh interesting! I am glad the vegetarian dish was great Smiley laugh It's always nice when they don't compromise on the veggie options. My fiance is pescatarian so we definitely took that into consideration, must have good fish!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We weren't picky on venue/catering so when we chose our venue, we happen to know the catering there was amazing so it helped make that decision. We did a plated, 3 course meal, which a lot of our guests still rave about lol. We also had cocktail hour apps and a late night snack!

• Sherisse
    Curious September 2022 Ontario
    Sherisse ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is an Afro Caribbean affair so we will be having cultural food! Our wedding is intimate ( 70 people) so we decided that having buffet style would be best! Our reception is at 6pm and we have a cocktail hour 4 pm with finger food which is caramel popcorn, Chicago mix and nuts! Our menu for our dinner is : Curry Goat, Oxtail and Veggie Curry; rice and peas with Roti.
  • lkbuck
    Curious January 2021 New Brunswick
    lkbuck ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a cocktail hour from 6 to 7pm, to which we wont even be present at as we are getting married in front of immediate family at the same time as cocktail hour, where we are serving guests a large 5ft by 2ft table of charcuterie boards, salmon boards, cheeses, appetizers, etc and then later in the night we will have out a s'more bar, popcorn and cupcakes. We kept food to a minimum so we could focus more on the liqour aspect. Aside from free open bar at cocktail hour, we will be serving $2 beer, $3 wine & bar shots and free liqour to our parents and the wedding party (180 guests will be at our wedding). This is big for us as we are paying for everything ourselves and only have 1 income (I recently became a stay-at-home mom) so we hope everyone enjoys the cheap priced liqour!
  • Candice
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Candice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose our venue based on the coordinator and the property. Both were amazing. We had our tasting yesterday and honestly the food surpassed my expectations. It was incredible and honestly some of the best food I have had.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a buffet from Danny's Whole Hog! No cocktail hour - that is just more money and we wanted to get straight to the good stuff!

We had BBQ Chicken, Pulled Pork, Buns, Ceasar Salad, Mixed Veggies, Loaded Baked Potato's, and Mac & Cheese. Then for dessert we had dainties of brownies, carrot cake, butter tarts, and Nanaimo bars. We for sure chose a venue that allowed outside catering so that we could have them cater our wedding!

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went to a restaurant and had an amazing 4 course meal. There were plated hor deurvres to be shared when we arrived. We got to pick from a few different appetizers, 3 different main courses, and everyone got the same dessert. Good food was a top priority for us.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose our venue partly because we'd heard so much about how incredible their food is and will be going with a plated dinner, which is actually cheaper than their buffet and I find it a bit more elegant. Since we'll have had a 2-year engagement we'll get to go to 2 of their 'tasting banquets' and I'm absolutely dying to get their roast beef inside me again.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a buffet. We had maple bacon chicken and coconut curry pork. I can’t remember all the sides as it was a year and a half ago but there was a few veggies, 3 or so salads and a dessert buffet of 3-4 cakes. We then had poutine as our late night snack.
    We also wanted delicious food and we got a lot of compliments on it! Our food tasting had 14 entrees! And each one was so good it was hard to choose!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since our wedding is in the low peak wedding season we ended up getting the top of the line meal for the same price as the lowest level. I'm so excited for the antipasto during the cocktail hour. If I get stuck with wedding pictures my MOH has orders of what to put on a plate for me lol. We are going to go with family style rather than plated that way our guests can have whatever they want and I don't have to worry about an actual seating chart I can just tell guests which table.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue allows us to use any outside food source we wanted, which we quickly realized gave is waaay too many options! lol in the end though, we went with City Farm which is a great locally sourced catering business based in Hamilton and is amazing. When we booked the caterer though, I was still eating meat, so I just realized last week that I won't be able to have the meat option any more! But the vegetarian dish was very good too, and the dessert is mind blowing

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics