Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Newbie September 2024 Ontario

Were you torn between two venues? Offer some advice for someone who is!

Camilla, on September 29, 2023 at 08:55 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 4

Hey!

I am completely torn between two venues... And although I have made a pros/cons list, I still can't decide.

Bit of a backstory: When I originally got engaged, my immediate thought was to have it on my family's farm (obviously a rustic/outdoors theme). But, my mom didn't like the idea of doing everything mostly ourselves and the responsibility that comes with hosting etc. (fair enough). So, after that conversation and the realization that we couldn't do that, I began to look for venues. We hope to marry in late Sept / early Oct with about 100 guests, give or take 10.

First venue: Private gardens

Pros: A private venue 'gardens' that has different areas for the ceremony, cocktail hour and reception. Natural greenery backdrop and rustic arbor for the ceremony. Lots of space for guests mingling outdoors and lots of photo opportunities (and nice ones too, there's a carriage on site and photo wall already). Nice rustic building for the reception and I would need to do miminal extra decorating (other than personal touches). Includes table/chair setup/breakdown, microphone setup, bartending, really everything except the normal stuff, ie no catering, photographer, dj etc. Chairs don't need to be covered too, as they are nice already.

Cons: It costs 11k (tax in). Bar service is 8.50$/drink with only 2 options: cash bar (and she really means cash, you can't pay with debit/credit for the bar) or consumption bar (open bar). However, you can set your price for how much you want to pay then switch to cash bar once we reach that threshold. No catering available, she has 'preferred caterers', and she won't share them until you agree to have the wedding there, but she is a very nice lady and I believe her when she says they run anywhere from 30-40$ a head. No bridal suite available, but there is a spot for me and my party to 'wait' before the ceremony (a she-shed with wicker detailing, it's nice, but you can't get ready there...). Reception ends at 12-1230 (she hasn't decided yet on whether they're scaling back or not), which for me and my family, who are partiers, seems early. So overall, with catering included (and we don't exactly know the price yet), it would be around 20k most likely for just the venue and catering. Possible $22,000 if we treat our guests to some free drinks. The dancefloor gets expanded by removing some of the tables. The reception space is small in that sense. We likely wouldn't make any money and not have as much for a nice honeymoon.

Second venue: Hall at a curling club (a nicer one than what you would think hearing that right off the bat lmao)

Pros: The price is right. 5k for the venue/ceremony/bridal suite and decorating fees (which I mean chair covers, linen fees, their time for the decorating / extra rentals she makes you pay for) all in. They do ALL the catering in house (so we can't bring in our own late snack etc., which is kind of a con). But, for a decent buffet meal we'd pay $33 a head (with gratuity/tax ends up around $6500 ish), plus maybe $1300 for late night snack and another, say, 1000$ for h'or deouvres. So there would be $8800 ish. They have all the options for bar. Toonie bar, cash, tickets, consumption. We love the idea of a toonie bar to save money and treat our guests at the same time. Drinks are $6.50/drink. So, overall, for that would be $13,800 plus bar maybe $2000 to be safe, so $15,800. Reception can go until 1am. If we go with this option, we would save $ and be able to afford a nice honeymoon and our parents would save money too.

Cons: It's at a curling club so there are not as many photo opportunities. Wedding ceremony background wouldn't be as nice (although it is a treed background). So we would 100% have to go elsewhere for special / nicer pictures. The ceremony space is kind of plain, so we'd have to do a lot more of our own decorating to make it nicer (where as venue 1 you don't need to do much). The decor is kind of dated? She seems to use bright white chair covers, which I kind of think are tacky looking, but she says she's hoping to get in some more neutral chair options for next year, which would be nice. The reception space is massive, so in her pictures the tables look small (and therefore I'd need larger centerpieces to fill the space imho). The reception space has sound buffers around the edges which kind of catch your eye in, not a bad way, it just kind of takes away from the rustic feel. The other place it's rustic everywhere you look.

Everyone is saying just do what you want, but I'm a fairly practical person. I thought I wanted the garden place, but not thinking about the money we would save if we went with this other spot is quite alot and it's quite nice in itself as well. Just might take a bit more decorating (which I don't mind, and we could probably afford nicer flowers etc if we did go with this place.

I also don't want to regret my decision. Do we spend the extra money to have better photos on site? I love the outdoors and gardens, but they won't be as nice in October than when we saw it even just 2 weeks ago now. I don't know. I do know that our family's like to party and so the extra time is great at the club.

Has anyone experienced all this overthinking and not knowing what to do? Taking any and all thoughts here, but if you can avoid the 'at the end of the day it's what you want' notes, that would be great as I already know that and truly don't know what is better!

Thank you in advance Smiley smile

4 Comments

Latest activity by Tunisha, on October 4, 2023 at 12:59
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Camilia,
    Option #2 taking into consideration the difference in spending for the venue. Then having money for the nice honeymoon!! That’s the best bet.

Keep us updated with your option once confirmed!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll throw a few more considerations your way to make your decision.

I think you're severely underestimating how cold it can get in a late September/October outdoor wedding. So take that into consideration as you'll need to rent heat lamps to make the space more comfortable for your guests.

A venue that requires more decoration means you need more setup and take down time. Not sure if the 1am cut off time for venue #2 means you stop partying at 1am or have to get out at 1am but if the venue has a ton of decor and other stuff (especially if you DIY it), be prepared to take some time to clean up. Or come back the next day to do so. Having a natural space that doesn't require much also means you won't have to arrive days in advance or early on the day of to work on decorating the space.

Are both venues accessible? If you have out of town guests, can they get to both just as easily and are they close to hotels?

Are the preferred caterers exclusive, or can you bring in any caterer as long as they're licensed? Sometimes a preferred caterer list just means those the venue has worked with and prefer to use but by no means prohibiting you from choosing another reputable caterer. You should ask to clarify. That being said, $40 per head for outside catering is pretty cheap and to be honest, not sure how good the food would be for a wedding. External caterers have to factor in costs like outside prep, bringing in all the kitchenware and dinnerware, providing servers etc. Once you factor those costs in and your meal is still under $40, that seems pretty low. You can barely get a decent 3 course meal at a family chain restaurant for that price.

Is the bar at venue #1 in house or do you have to provide the alcohol and bring in a few bartenders? If you have to bring it in not via the caterer, you'll need to pay for insurance and possibly an alcohol license.

And I just want to address this point:

We likely wouldn't make any money and not have as much for a nice honeymoon.

I would be pretty annoyed if I came with a normal wedding cash gift but found out on the day of it was a cash bar with cheap food and I imagine many would feel the same. As a guest, if I know you're having a cash bar and I'll be served food that's not that special, I will be gifting accordingly. Personally, I think it's really tacky to try and profit off your guests for a wedding you're hosting, especially these days when inflation has made it financially hard for a lot of people just getting by. Expecting gifts from the guest to not only cover the wedding cost but to give you something extra to pay for other things is a big no no in my book. You should just pay for a wedding within your means.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Camilla,
    Sounds like you have a lot to think about! By the description of both places, they both have pros and cons. I agree with the advice above in that you have to know where you want to spend $$$ and where you are willing to compromise.
    I'm a big visual, athestic person so, right off the bat I'd be inclined to go with what I would find to be the nicer looking venue (in this case, the gardens). Even with it being in the fall, it can still be very beautiful and have a cozy vibe with heat lamps. However, I would not go into possible financial stress over venue...but I would compromise on my honeymoon for my special day but that's just me. I have to say, I'm not a fan of "preferred caterers" though as we are big on food and I personally would want to find a company myself and or at least have the last say so not sure how strict the lady is on that.. When you visit both venues is there one that you can visualize your special day at more than the other one? This is how I usually make tough decisions or, can you see yourself being regretful if you have it at the curling club? Like you compromised on your big day? Cause that, you dont want! Also, are there photos of past weddings at the curling club? To get a better idea, that would help me in my decision. Good luck to you! ❤
  • Jackie
    Featured September 2023 Alberta
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I can share my experience and hopefully it helps! These are prices from Banff, AB. Our venue was a ski resort, they had indoor and outdoor ceremony options, nice chairs provided. We used a space that could hold up to 120 and had 90 at our wedding. They did all the food and drink catering (with the exception of the cake). Minimum food and beverage spend requirement: $10k before tips and gratuity. Ceremony space rental: $1,500 (or $400 for indoors). They had space for a cocktail hour so our guests could stay before dinner while we went and did photos, being a ski hill we didn't have to leave to do this, this saved a ton of time (pictures WILL take longer than you think). We did a buffet dinner with wine service (recommend, this saved us a lot of money and waste), hors d'oeurves during cocktail hour, dessert, and late night snack. Drinks were about $8.50 per, and we did 3 drink tickets for each guest (5 for immediate family and wedding party). We hired a DJ who was familiar with our venue and he did a great job. We rented table decorations, centrepieces, our altar, and aisle decorations and set up everything the day before the wedding. My best advice is: have as much taken care of for you by the venue as possible. The day of will be hectic and you don't need or want a bunch of vendors asking for your direction. I do not regret a single penny spent taking something off my mind. Also think about what is most important to you and spend more there. We wanted photos we wanted to look at and remember the day with happy memories, and I couldn't have cared less about getting real flowers, so we allocated more money to the photographer and did DIY with silk flowers. And last hot tip, when you are getting your cake, do not tell them it is a wedding cake and you will be charged so much less. That wedding tax is crazy sometimes!

Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics