Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Momofbride(Kim)
Alberta

Welcome Bags

Momofbride(Kim), on January 28, 2018 at 20:30 Posted in Before the wedding 0 18

I have been reading alot lately about Welcome Bags for weddings. Have they become the norm or are they an extra that is unnecessary? As the MOTB, I am finding that the budget is growing exponentially, and without help from the Groom's family, I am wondering if this is an area we can get costs without looking cheap or rude? The groom is Ukrainian and we are already expected to put on a Welcome Dinner, the Wedding, Cocktails, Reception, Late Night Buffet, Dance and a Post Wedding Brunch for over 100 people each day. This is getting VERY costly.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Momofbride(Kim), on February 1, 2018 at 12:41
  • Momofbride(Kim)
    Alberta
    Momofbride(Kim) ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone...the Welcome Bags have been cut from the budget!!!

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I considered doing it for my out of town guests, but like you, I'm paying for a bunch of other things like next day brunch. I would say skip it, as you're already doing a welcome dinner the night before.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had talked about doing welcome bags but it is honestly an unnecessary cost. You don't need to provide these things to the guests. You're already providing food and drink for them on multiple occasions. I would skip it all together. It's a newer thing and likely won't even be noticed if you don't have them.

• Samantha
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren’t doing welcome bags, but we are doing wedding favours. I think especially if you are doing favours, a welcome bag isn’t needed. Even in general, I don’t really think a welcome bag is a necessity.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't bother with welcome bags, in my opinion we are paying for the entire party and with your list of expected duties to complete they are extremely costly.

I work in a hotel myself so the "welcome bags" I've seen contained chocolates, nuts water or juice, a card and perhaps instructions on how to reach the venue for out of town guests.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did welcome bags for our families and friends staying at the venue. Each bag per room i put the following:
    Chocolates
    Mixed nuts
    2 granola bars
    2 bottled water

I bought a large container of nuts and granola bars from costco. I personally find it helps when you want to snack or the kids are thirsty
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You are practically mum of the year!

I don't think welcome baskets are necessary. I know a couple weddings I've been to have had them, and I ended up trashing a lot of it... because it was dollar store stuff that I didn't need. Horrible I know cause the thought was nice.

• Momofbride(Kim)
    Alberta
    Momofbride(Kim) ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This basically is a destination wedding because everyone is having to travel to it! She is being married in the Rocky Mountains.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've seen this done mostly in relation to destination weddings or weddings where EVERYONE is travelling to the wedding venue. I don't think it's necessary. If the wedding was small, it would be a nice gesture, but I've never been disappointed when I showed up to a wedding and there wasn't a welcome bag. I would skip it.

• April
    Frequent user September 2018 Saskatchewan
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was at an out of town wedding last summer and the ‘welcome bags’ were some home made muffins, packaged hot chocolate and some bottled water. It was a nice gesture but definitely not necessary!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are putting any information that is typically found in a welcome bag on our website. Anyone who is not from this city can look up where to stay, eat and things to do from our website. Even people from here might not know what is around our venue so we are providing that information on our website.

• Momofbride(Kim)
    Alberta
    Momofbride(Kim) ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone! I guess it is somewhere I can save money!!! When I signed on for this, I didn't think it was going to be so expensive!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Skip the welcome bags! They are a nice gesture but unnecessary and greatly add to a budget.

I would also suggest talking to the groom's family about helping out financially. If they expect all these different events to be held then they should also be covering their cost as it is also their son getting married.

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow that’s going to be an expensive affair. Be firm and learn to say NO! It’s enough already. All that extra stuff is unnecessary and a waste of money. We aren’t having an engagement party, no a bridal shower or bachelorette party and no gift registry. I have no room for gifts. If they’d like to contribute to the wedding and leave some money in an envelope during our reception, then fine. If not, then no biggy. It’s my wedding and I’m happy to pay for it. Best of luck.
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skip it!
    my FH and I chose to also skip over things like an engagement party, i personally said NO to a tiara/veil...do what works for YOU and your budget!!!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Skip the welcome bags! It sounds like you’re already doing more than enough so cut yourself some slack. Maybe express to your daughter that you’re already contributing so much and that maybe someone else could pick up the tab on the welcome bags.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like all traditions and trends, the Bride & Groom don't have to follow or do all/any of them! It really depends on what they want and if they have room in their budget for it. I think a welcome dinner and post-wedding brunch is more than enough!

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd say skip it! I've never even heard of it so that seems not necessary. Also skip anything extra that your daughter doesn't need or want. Save your money! Anything that isn't necessary or something we don't want to do we have taken it out 😁

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics