Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Courtney
Super July 2018 Ontario

Wedding Showers

Courtney, on July 16, 2018 at 12:58 Posted in Before the wedding 0 16

So I'm a bridesmaid in my friends wedding. She's amazing and I love her a lot (sort of irrelevant but just wanted to state it).

Anyway - through a turn of events, she's going to end up having three bridal/wedding showers. The first bridal shower the bridesmaids put on - and I gave her a small gift

The second bridal shower, her mother in law is putting on for her - I got her one of those posters that's a map of the stars for their wedding day

The third bridal shower, is a 5 hour drive from me where her extended family is putting on a bridal shower - I'll be driving out for the weekend, and staying at a hotel. I don't want to show up empty handed, but I also just got married and my honey moon is coming up so I'm getting a bit tight on cash. Any suggestions?

As a note, I've already bought a wedding gift for her from me and my husband (we're both in the bridal party), and I'm buying my own dress, he's buying a suit and I'm taking her out for a mini-bachelorette party on my own as I'm missing her proper one.

16 Comments

Latest activity by Julia, on July 25, 2018 at 06:01
  • Julia
    Frequent user June 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally agree. Since you have already given her so much, I think doing something small like writing her a card with something sentimental inside should be enough. Hopefully she will understand, and appretiate it.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto to what Erin said. I'm sure your friend will understand since you gifted her for both her other showers, plus you've got a lot on your plate too!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you have been very generous already and you are driving out there and putting in the effort so I don't think you need to buy her yet ANOTHER present. I would have only gotten her something for the first shower had it been me to be honest.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The fact you are making the effort to go when its so far away and there is the cost of the hotel. is a lot. as a bride I wouldn't expect a gift AT ALL.

I don't think it will be noticed that you show up empty handed at all. you are there to support her. that is the important part.

• S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, I would probably just skip out on this latest shower.

You're not obligated to attend and it does feel weird to show up without a gift. I'd just not go. You have already attended two.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow, good for you for attending all the showers! How about a little advent calendar countdown? The last month, have something she can open each day to give her a little moment away from her last minutes plans. It could be a note, a song suggestion, a little gift like candy or a mini bottle of alcohol ( if she drinks), something you wished someone had told you in the last month, a date idea, etc. Could have other people involved in this too ( like the other bridesmaids) or have her fiancé write a few notes for her to open.
  • Lyla
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Lyla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I can’t say exactly how she would feel but honestly I wouldn’t care.. I had my bridal shower and bachelorette on the same day and two of my bridesmaids gave me gifts, which I gave them crap for doing! I wouldn’t have expected one.. let alone 3!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Truly your a good friend going beyond whats expected for throwing her shower plus a gift. You're also attending the other 2 supporting her and for giving her a bachelorette outing. A card with a personal note and saying please accept this as my token of standing beside you up front on your day. It will mean a lot to her.
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

3 showers is definitely a little excessive, but I have heard of similar situations before. You have already done so much. I don't think it is necessary to have a gift for her at every event. If you don't want to show up empty handed, maybe just bring a card and write something sentimental in it, like reminisce about how you met or one of your favourite stories together. If you feel like that is still not enough get her something small...like some bath bombs or a inexpensive bottle of wine.

• M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Seems excessive. If anything get a small gift that is within your budget so you aren't empty handed.

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow! You are busy busy! You are a good friend to be doing all that. Can't say that for my bridal party most days!

I would suggest something small as you've spent so much and done so much so even a gift card for the LCBO or a charm for her pandora bracelet. Or even a movie ticket from landmark or cineplex- Costco has a good deal with pop and popcorn. Costco even sells spa giftcards which I bought my FMIL for her birthday.

Then you don't go empty handed and aren't breaking the bank.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ok first off the night sky poster idea is great! I actually got 3 for myself to use as decor at our wedding I love them so much!

Maybe bring a bottle of her favourite drink with a cute hand made gift wrap and card? I find when tight on cash the more personal or hand made you can make a gift it's appreciated the same if not more!

Something cute and personal I know will be more than enough! And honestly I'm sure if you did show up empty handed she wouldn't be offended in the slightest! It sounds like you have put in a lot already and to bring a gift to each of THREE showers is asking for a lot!

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow you are an amazing friend. I would have gone a little bit crazy with that much showers to go to. I agree with everyone else’s suggestions for a DIY or the card. Maybe write a letter or story about your friendship. Good luck Smiley smile
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well that's more than what I would do! I would have only got one shower gift and one wedding gift if any at all - I'm not expecting anything other than time and help from the wedding party. At this point though I would say that you could write her a heartfelt note with a DIY item like both Brittany and Gina suggested. Perhaps for the DIY you could always buy a couple $5 shirts and then write or iron press "wifey" and "hubby" on them - those shirts are usually hard to find but I know I want a bunch of them Smiley smile

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s a lot already! Haha. What about this time making something? A diy gift? I’m sure she knows how much you’ve done for her, and I’m sure she appreciates it so much! Obviously you have a great relationship, so maybe something based off an inside joke. Or even a simple wooden sign. Every year our family exchanges a homemade gift, and they have so far been my favourite gifts I’ve ever received. How about a cook book? My mom made me one with just printing our family recipes and internet recipes and using a binder with plastic covers. It’s been 15 years and I use it at least a few times a week. Every new recipie gets added to it as well.

Wedding Showers 1

Wedding Showers 2
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say get her a card, saying something sweet like how much it means to you to be a part of her big day and to be there every step of the way with her and for her.

Then she gets more of an emotional "gift", something to open... but you're only out a few bucks.

You're only responsible for one shower gift... whether you go to one or five... plus spending money to be out there for the weekend, and your presence of support and love, that's a big enough gift already!

She'll just be happy you made the effort to be there for her... A simple card after 2 gifts already is totally fine.

I can barely get my girls to plan one shower, haha, showing up to all 3 is a huge show of commitment on your end! Smiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics