Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Courtney
Super July 2018 Ontario

Wedding Shower

Courtney, on June 13, 2018 at 16:47 Posted in Before the wedding 0 7

Myself and the two other bridesmaids are hosting/putting on a wedding shower for my friend. I'm spending a decent amount on food, game prizes and the favours for the event, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to also give a gift for the event?

It is a Co-ed shower, so my partner - who is a groomsmen in their wedding, will also be attending though he isn't hosting the event with the bridesmaids.

Thoughts?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Leanne, on June 21, 2018 at 13:53
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, I have hosted bridal showers before and also gave a gift. It doesnt have to be something big. Something small and personal would be perfect in a situation like this.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like Joey and a few others have said, give a smaller gift or purchase smaller item(s) off the bride and groom's registry just in case. But this is sweet of you and should definitely be considered a part of your gift to them!

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I also probably would give a gift, but a smaller one, maybe you could do a joint gift from you and your partner.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Still give a gift, but I think it can be something small. You are contributing quite a bit, and have your own wedding, but I think you should still give a gift. I co-hosted a shower for my friend and bought her a gift, but spent less on it than I have spent in the past on weddings I attended just as a guest.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When I've hosted/paid/cohosted for showers. I've still given a gift. but not spend as much money as I would if I was just a guest. The last shower 3 showers I've done. the other bridesmaids and I went in on something meaningful. and have spent 20-40 each. (one was higher because it was a customized NHL jersey).

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think as the host I think it's ok if you don't also buy a gift for the shower. Consider hosting the party as your gift for the couple (offering house, food, etc). Especially if your from an area where it's "expected" to give gifts for the shower along with a gift for the wedding itself.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think “supposed to” is relative.

What if the three of you (hosts) went in together to give a framed photo or something the couple could use at the wedding (guest book?) so it’s of a more sentimental “and we got you a gift” than a “we bought something from your registry, even though we hosted your wedding shower”?

I’m naive so I would also want to think that the couple would not expect a gift from the folks who hosted.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics