Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sheilah
Frequent user August 2019 Ontario

Wedding season

Sheilah, on July 14, 2018 at 09:26 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 33
This is just me whining. Really not an important post, just need to say it to get over it.

We're getting married in the summer. August 7th 2019. I'm having a hard time really accepting that date, which I know is super weird. I HATE summer with a fiery, burning passion but we have to go with summer as it's the only convenient month because we are in school, the kids is in my family are in school and everyone works Monday to Friday during the year in our families so we don't want anyone to miss any time for us.

It just sucks. I worry about it being too hot, I have no attraction to the look of summer photos, etc. I. Hate. Summer. I really wish we had another option.

When are you getting married? Indoor or outdoor? Is there a reason for your date?

33 Comments

Latest activity by Adamay, on September 15, 2018 at 19:10
  • Adamay
    Beginner August 2019 California
    Adamay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My date is so close to yours! I'm getting married on August 8, 2019 and it will be an indoor wedding. I absolutely hate the summer too! We're actually from San Diego, California so having our wedding in Canada by the water will hopefully make it a lot cooler than the weather here Smiley smile

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We re getting married in the summer as well, however I would prefer the fall when it gets a little cooler out just because I don't like the heat either. we are having an indoor wedding.

my FH family can only come in August so that's when we will be having our wedding since they are really important to us and they live in Montreal

• Nicole
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Kind of in the same boat! Mine is August 2nd. Outdoor pavilion. We chose this date because it was convenient, I am off for the summer because I work for the school board. And we wanted a holiday so nobody had any excuses not to be there. I wanted September, Labour Day weekend, but, FH thought not a good idea as I would be returning to work the next day...

I am a little nervous for the heat as well, but it is covered. And fans are provided for air flow.... hoping for the best.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got married September 30 last year. We didn't pick the date for any particular reason but that it was the beginning of Fall and gave us enough time to plan everything. I also like the fact that we started a new month as a married couple, it seems symbolic or something.

We got married outdoors and it was a beautiful day.

• Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

September 29.... we picked it because we didn't want a summer wedding, but end of September can still be warm, but the leaves are starting to change, so it makes for great pictures! Indoor wedding though. My anxiety couldn't handle all the "what-ifs" of an outdoor wedding.

• M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Next month August 3. Will be indoors. Have a budget wedding so we are having a civil ceremony at city hall. Choose the date because of the long weekend, city hall isn't open on weekends and it fits our guests schedules. Also can't stand waiting too long during an engagement.
  • Nadia
    Curious August 2018 Alberta
    Nadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is next month, Aug 11. We picked this dag is because my brother is also getting married in Aug. Because our parents will come from overseas, its easier to pick the dates that my parents can attend both weddings.
  • R
    Curious May 2023 Ontario
    Rayann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose August too because that's the month we made it official as a couple. I haven't book my venue yet. I'm still looking around. My big day is not until 2020.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We picked May so hopefully it is a lovely spring day. My fiancé hates summer too, so he said if we had it in the summer months he would not be wearing a suit so we opted for spring. We are hoping to have it outdoors but we have an indoor option at our venue as well
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Then it is what it is! The important thing is you’re getting married, regardless of the temperature outside! ☺️
  • Sheilah
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Seriously. Isn't it the worst?!?!?! Like I hate everything about summer. I always have. But it is what it is. At least we will be married. ❤
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user February 2024 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally feel your pain!! I'm in the exact same boat, I have always wanted a January wedding but we picked August. Our work is seasonal and we're off every January so I'd be able to devote all my time to the planning and prep but more importantly we could have our honeymoon right away and anniversaries when we're free to travel. But I'm really worried about elderly family having to do long drives in the snow or miss it if weather is really bad, and everyone says people give small envelopes right after xmas and I'm kinda counting on envelopes cause our budget is small. We run our own business and the only other time of year work dies down and we can handle a wedding is August. But I hate the idea of having a hot sweaty summertime wedding, I hate the colors and look of summer weddings and I hate having an August anniversary. We talked it over and decided on August but I'm just not happy about it even though I agreed to it. So I know exactly how you feel!! I wish there was another way to make it all work.
  • Sheilah
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wish we had mountains! Your wedding with be gorgeous!
  • Lydia
    Devoted June 2019 British Columbia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Aww I'm sorry you feel so bad about your date Smiley sad If you're not into summer, maybe an indoor venue would be a good option for you? You could also do your pictures indoor, most photographers have great suggestions for everything too!
    We're getting married in summer as well (summer is jussttt starting then though, 30th June 2019) and I'm really hoping for nice weather (this year was the worst weather on that day, so even summer isn't a guarantee) but mostly because of the view. We got a lot of Dutch people coming over, and we're getting married on a mountain (Grouse Mountain, so very touristic here in Vancouver). It'll be colder than it'd be down? So maybe it's something if you're into it, since it's not as hot higher up. But it's very outdoorsy of course.
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, I’m sorry to hear about your loss as well. It took a long time to heal and I gained a lot of weight after. But since the beginning of the year I’m down over 100lbs and 54 inches. We might also be expecting on our wedding. I don’t care about not drinking and I’ll still have lots of fun, but only time will tell.
  • Sheilah
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm so sorry for your loss. We had an ectopic back in November. I understand your pain. What a beautiful way to honour your child.
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married January 19, 2019 it is a special day as it would have been our daughters first birthday. I had a miscarriage July 2017. It also means that my family in Fort Chipewyan will be able to take the ice road down. If not for those reasons I would have preferred a summer/fall wedding.
  • Sheilah
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have to fo August for travel. It's non-negotiable.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The evenings aren’t as hot tho. I personally recall August being not as hot as June or July. If you’re really concerned why not have your wedding in May (assuming you’ll be off school then) since the weather can still be cold.

Good luck!
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married August 11th, 2018! We picked the date because we wanted a summer wedding. Our ceremony is outdoors and our reception is indoors. I'm mostly worried about the heat, because its been very hot these past few weeks! Our ceremony starts at 4:00 pm so hopefully the sun will be cool by then.

• Kristina
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Kristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are getting married September 1 this year because it was the only long weekend available at our venue. Everyone, including ourselves, is travelling to the wedding so we wanted a long weekend for extra travel time. What if you picked a long weekend in the spring or fall would that help out with school?

• S
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have set a date for October 2019. I’m a teacher as well but I know my FH can’t do the heat as well as most of his family lol. I love summer but I love the fall more.
    I’m counting on using my 3 personal days for the week before and my family has offered to help a lot leading up to the date.
    However, we are debating changing the date because I’m having a lot of anxiety of planning a wedding.
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in April for that exact reason; my FH hates summer weddings bc he sweats and so do I. It’s hard for the bridal party to since their going to be in a 3 layers suit or a dress, make up, hair done.

I’m trying not to sway you from your date. Sometimes August cools down, and stick with the compromise of ceremony outside and reception inside... where its air conditioned.

We originally wanted an October wedding, the weather would be cooler, beautiful colours, but after realizing the cost per plates were crazy high, we chose April, cost effective and weather is cooler. The only down fall is for April would be accepting the fact that is will rain or even snow on my wedding day. We will be having an indoor chapel ceremony and an indoor reception.

All in all, you guys choose the date that accommodates everyone, which is nice and everyone will appreciate that.
  • Sheilah
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. ❤ Yes, travel is our issue, too. Just need to vent it to get over it haha
  • Sheilah
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's an awesome idea! The work/school restrictions suck. Hope you guys enjoy the honeymoon! We're skipping a honeymoon to save for a house. So hopefully later for an anniversary we can take a trip!
  • Sheilah
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love May!!

I wish we could move the date but unfortunately we can't. My family can't make it here until the summer as they work all year and are in different provinces. Their vacation time just doesn't allow for it. Everyone would have to miss too many days of work/school.
  • Sheilah
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    June is a nice month.

No, we can't push it to another time, unfortunately. Our most important guests aren't available until summer.
  • Sheilah
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Not sure what you mean with the weather calming. It's usually 40° and humid here, almost worse in August! Haha. We're in Belleville. My fiance wants it all outdoors but I said the ceremony, fine. Not the reception.
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re getting married June 6,2020. Similar circumstances, I’m a student and my fiancé is limited by his work schedule, so June, July and August were our best options. I would rather do September or October, but getting married in June will allow us to enjoy our summer as newlyweds before I go back to university in the fall.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    May 2019 for us! I agree with you I like summer... but i do nooooot want to be in a wedding dress in crazy heat... I'm already worried about being too hot in may!
    Were doing a Friday too so friends and family will need to take time off for us but were giving almost a 10 month advance notice so i feel like most will be fine! Who doesnt want an extra long weekend?
    All of the kids seem to be exciting about missing school too hahah!!
    Honestly. I would focus on you guys! Friends and family will make it work because this is your special day! If doing in the fall will make you both more comfortable it will work!!
    I'm worried for you since you already seem to be stressing about the weather I would strongly consided pushing it back to the fall!

The only good this about that weekend is my bday is Aug 6th so that's always a good time of year for me hahahah!!!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    June 22 2019 is my date. I picked it because I have always wanted to get married on the longest weekend of the year. It will be fully outdoors.

Are you sure you cant maybe change thedate to a later day? I know you're busy and have kids in school but there must be a good way to do it that makes it easier for everyone involved. Doing it on a weekend with lots of notice should be no problem for people to be able to make work.

It's not easy to plan whileworking full time and going to school, but it is possible! I will be writing my exams and graduating in April next year and I dont get this summer off, so the going will be tough with planning but it's definitely doable!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband and i got married August 25, 2017 and it was outdoors just the perfect temperature. Though it was summer and towards thr end of season, it was perfect since the families from the states came for the weekend.

It may be hard cause of the preparations for kids going back to school and all. Just know its going to be ok and all will be okay. Let your day shine upon you two.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics