Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

Wedding Planning - Continuing or Pausing?

Hank, on March 30, 2020 at 20:56 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9

For those of you with weddings to be held on September 2020 or later, with everything going on, are you still chugging along with your wedding planning or have you paused?

At first, we tried to keep going. We thought it could keep us busy and it would be a good time to explore some DIY opportunities. But then we noticed communication with a lot of vendors going dead silent for weeks. Then we hear of friends getting laid off. Suddenly co-workers are whispering rumours of what's happening in the office. Cryptic emails from senior management adds to the fire. And now we're wondering if we should continue with the wedding we originally envisioned in case one of us, or god forbid both, gets laid off.

At the moment, we're making a lot of alternate plans in case something throws a wrench at us. Our planning is still going but at a much slower pace. We're hesitant to sign on any new vendors right now. A few friends advised us against this saying vendors might become unavailable due to all the rebookings but we rather not have something at our wedding because of unavailability than be stuck forking out a bill on something we might not be able to afford.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Kallei, on April 7, 2020 at 22:16
  • Kallei
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Kallei ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    September 26 here, and still planning to go ahead. We’re hopeful this will blow over, and won’t be making a decision until early July.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its hard this is such a hard time for everyone. i would continue planning on i mean businesses still need revenue right? do what you can and i guess give vendors extra time to respond?

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

September bride here, Im working on small things that need to be done. So I have been gathering items needed to finish them up. My wedding dress and vows.

Its so crazy these days and I've come to the conclusion this will go one for a few months. So im waiting until then to move forward.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One thing after another just not going right seems upsetting for the right reasons. Its a difficult time for many right now with the unknown happening of when business gets back to normal hours. Those who aren't in a good place will find a way where there is a will. Be patient and wait until your date to come and all will be okay by then. This is the time where most of us are not living the way we want given a new norm. Its just for the time until all this is cleared up and we get back to what we do best of getting some fresh air.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're getting married the same day and that's our plan at this point as well. And honestly, our guest list has gotten so much bigger than we wanted that I wouldn't even be upset if we had to downsize.

We're going to be sending out invitations in a couple weeks but it feels so strange to do it with so much up in the air.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So far I'm less upset and gloomy than I would imagine too. Once plans started rolling they are hard to stop so it's nice to have a few alternative options again!

At this point we are both still working, not sure how much longer FH's place of work will be open for as they aren't essential and are running low on product without much hope of getting more stock. We won't lose a lot if we don't get deposits back, my biggest vendor worry is that our photographer won't be able to change the date.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If the crisis is resolved but we're not in a solid enough financial state to host the wedding, we may consider an elopement but losing all the deposits would sting if we're in a position where we're trying to save money. Hence the alternate plans.

Though, as gloomy as my original post seem, it is pretty fun coming up with different scenarios on how our wedding could potentially play out. We're less preoccupied with trying to get that unique cool thing or super fancy element that at the end of the day was always more of a splurge than a necessity. I think seeing the economic effect this virus has in general pulled us out of fantasy land, which is not in itself necessarily a bad thing.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours is planned for October 2 and we're on pause for sure. The next thing to do is to order invitations but I don't want to risk wasting a few hundred dollars having them printed only to have to have them redone. In June or July we will need to make a decision about invites and the wedding date.

I'm not against downsizing to an elopement on the date we picked and having a reception after the virus has died off. We talked briefly and if FH's family isn't allowed to enter the country then we will postpone as it doesn't seem fair to have my parents and not his there for our wedding day.
  • Kallei
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Kallei ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours is September 26, and we are t panicking yet and won’t be making any recipes until late June. It’s still so early to know what it’ll be like in the fall. Regardless, we WILL be getting married even if we have to bring our guest list down from 90 to 45 if the government allows gatherings again. If not, it’ll still be us, our closest family, an officiant and a photographer.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics