Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kate
Featured August 2022 Ontario

Wedding Planning/after hosting your own wedding - what have you learned ?

Kate, on April 26, 2023 at 09:07 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 8

Hello all ! Smiley heart

Thought I would spark up a discussion regarding appreciation and things you have learned throughout the wedding planning process. Sometimes it takes putting ourselves in someone else's shoes and actually going through it to have an appreciation. Share anything you have learnt along the way or gained an appreciation for Smiley smile

For me, after planning our wedding, I now realize all the little (but big) details that can go into a wedding and now when I attend a wedding it makes me want to take advantage of everything that is offered because of the work that went into it - whether it be, guestbook signing, photo booth, making sure to take the guest favours.

Also, giving no stress to the couple. At the end of the day, the bride and groom are just trying to have a nice day of celebration and as a guest you can really help with that by putting out positive vibes and being a little extra accommodating that day/throughout the process if you are helping out. It can be a wacky/stressful but exciting time and the couple does not need anymore stress.

Wedding Planning/after hosting your own wedding - what have you learned ? 1

Wedding Planning/after hosting your own wedding - what have you learned ? 2

8 Comments

Latest activity by Kate, on April 29, 2023 at 09:31
  • Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely love the sharing too! It can be so helpful.
    And yes I agree, the wedding planning brain and booking of things works much earlier than just a couple months before the wedding lol
  • Mila
    Featured October 2023 Ontario
    Mila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve learned that people really want to talk about their wedding planning process, to my surprise even the day of! Every wedding I attended since our engagement I’ve found myself off to the side listening to the groom or bride telling me all about how they came to decisions from picking the venues to linen choices and seating charts. They always express appreciation for the opportunity to essentially debrief, and I absolutely love it.

I also found out that unless you’re 4 or less months out, no one cares about anything because it’s “so far away”. I’ve gotten so many comments about how early we’re booking things (the first thing we booked was only 10 months out).
  • Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's so true! So much thinking, consideration, and money can go into a wedding and especially if you have a larger guest list, accommodating can become more challenging but as a bride and groom we do the best we can and it would be so helpful if people remembered that. It's ONE day people! lol

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh totally! Its tough because you are excited to maybe share a detail and when someone is critical of it in a not so helpful way or doesn't like the idea and lets you know...it can put a damper on it. This is very good advice!

• L
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Lily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One thing I've learned is to only have you and your partner (and a wedding planner if you have one) know every little detail about the wedding. Letting my mom in on some of the details has caused fights between us. I should've just stuck to telling anyone who wanted to know that my fiance and I are keeping things between the two of us.

• Jackie
    Featured September 2023 Alberta
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The biggest thing I have learned planning my own wedding is that this is an extremely exciting and important day for the bride and groom, and it shouldn't be about anyone but them. My only role as a wedding guest/member of a wedding party, is to do anything and everything in my power to help ease the stress of planning and DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES give negative opinions or comments. I don't think people understand just how frustrating/hurtful it can be to hear that it's too much hassle to travel 3 hours for the most important day of your life so far (even though you did the same for them when they got married) or how we are being cheap by wanting a toonie bar and not paying for everyone's alcohol (with a guest list of ~110 people). Or have your father in law tell you that you need to plan your rehearsal day before the wedding around a golf game he wants to have. Weddings take so much time, thought, care, work, and money. Don't add to that list by making it about you!

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha you go girl. And wow, don't lose weight so the bride can look skinnier - OMG lol, that is new and cannot believe some people!

I get what you're saying regarding details. I also stopped sharing and just started to go ahead and do it because I did not want to hear people's comments/opinions and honestly, much easier that way! I can honestly say if I attended your wedding, I would appreciate all the details and the certain colours LOL I look at that stuff Smiley heart so you do you!

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As I have been planning my own wedding, I have come to realized that NO ONE cares about your wedding as much as you do (even family).

I would like to think of myself as a pretty laid back bride, not too controlling and I ask my fiancé for his opinion on EVERYTHING and we decide together. But I am putting in most of the work, which is fine because I love this stuff.

Since we are getting closer to the wedding, we have had to make more decisions on the little things, like invites design, wording, wedding welcome sign, guestbook inspiration, the clothes for the wedding party, songs, etc. And because I want it to be perfect, and I am a little picky - I have been called a bridezilla just because I want something specific. AND I HATE IT.

I am no where near some of the brides I read about on Reddit like telling people to change their hair color, lose weight, or not lose weight so the bride can look skinny next to them, demanding a crazy bachelorette that costs attendees thousands of dollars. I am doing none of that - so when I get called that from like my mom, it bothers me because I am no where near as bad as some brides.

Just because I want something to have a certain detail - does not make me a bridezilla.

So lately I haven't been telling anyone about any of our decisions we have been making and it is so nice!

Everyone tells me to chill out, it's just a wedding. Yeah its just an other wedding to you, but to me, it is MY WEDDING (and hopefully my only wedding) and if I want my wedding welcome sign to be a certain navy blue, I am going to get it! LOL

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics