Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sky
Newbie September 2025 Alberta

Wedding Planners

Sky, on May 26, 2020 at 19:02 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
Okay, my future MIL keeps trying to send me contacts for Wedding Planners. I feel like a complete control freak when it comes to my wedding and I don't know if I'd be able to hand off the reigns. However I'd like some outside opinions, and maybe some experiences any of you have had with a wedding planner, as well as if they're worth the additional cost

9 Comments

Latest activity by Sky, on May 31, 2020 at 21:51
  • Sky
    Newbie September 2025 Alberta
    Sky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That may be the route I go. Or at the very least a day of coordinator.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hired a wedding planner for the month of. so they will do all the last minute things and i have done everything else. you can also hire a day of planner and theyre not too much money

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They are not worth it if you have everything under control and able to manage with someone you trust in the family or friend that is giving a helping hand with most of what your planning. The Wedding Planner services are great if you can afford their pricing fitting your budget. You can do it on your own and make layouts of what is to be done if you need others help for the set up.

I personally left mine after an argument started by my husband to be then and did everything on our own. The small amount of work for less than 100 guests seem simple and not much time to take on us.

• Stephanie
    Curious July 2022 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Agree you should at least look at getting a Day/Month of Coordinator. It means you don't have to worry on your day, they take care of making sure the day runs smoothly so you and your fiancé can just enjoy the day.

Though I'm going to say hiring a full planner doesn't mean giving up control. A good planner will work with you and you can have as much or as little control as you want. I am totally a control freak person as well but we ended up hiring a full planner, Confetti and co, (mainly because we were planning our wedding out of town). However, I've been super involved and have control of pretty much everything to the point where I'm designing all the stationary myself. It was great when we were looking into vendors as we would tell her ideas of what we were looking for and she gave us options that fit what we were looking for. It saved me a ton of time avoiding going down crazy research rabbit holes, which I can do as I want to know all the options. She's also been great in terms of suggesting ideas that fit for our design/decor, managing communications and helping with little tasks.

Finally, I can't thank her enough for helping us with postponing our wedding due to COVID-19. It was a tough enough thing but she helped us with the decision and contacting all our vendors to find a new date that worked for everyone.

• K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with everyone else! Unless you absolutely loathe administrative tasks and/or have zero spare time to devote to planning, a full service planner may not be worth it. Especially if you’re concerned about relinquishing creative control (though I’m sure most planners would make it their mission to bring your creative vision to life!)

A day or month of coordinator is another issue altogether. Unless your venue supplies an in-house coordinator who is willing to do all the heaving lifting the day-of, I would highly recommend hiring someone in a day of/month of capacity to take care of logistics, set up, tear down, deal with unforeseen hiccups, etc. You don’t want to spend your wedding day fielding phone calls, stressing over delayed deliveries, hauling around decor, cleaning up when you could be retiring to the bridal suite, etc.
    I think most planners these days are pretty flexible in their offerings. It’s not full service planning or bust. Good luck!!
  • Vanessa
    Devoted December 2021 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So right away I knew I wanted a full planner but there was always that little voice that said ... "I could do it myself, I still want to be involved but maybe my planner could just do it .. I really like this vendor that I found so why am I paying my planner to find vendors" etc.

So many thoughts going through my head but I have always landed on the same thoughts ... what if I need to contact my vendor to have a difficult conversation, what if I choose a vendor that is super expensive because I didn't know where to look, what if I don't want to confront vendors that I don't want to use, what happens if I don't like something and I don't want to contact the vendor on my own, what questions do I ask when talking to them etc. The answer if your planner ... there has been a few times were we didn't want to use a vendor that kept emailing us so our planner stepped in and had a conversation with them. When we were booking our officiant, we had NO idea what questions to ask so our planner put them together for us in advance. When we were trying to find a DJ she found on within our budget that ended up saving us over $1500.00 because she had a preferred list with a discount.

Both my fiance and I travel a lot for work (not right now though) so I wanted to be prepared to not be as involved as I wanted to be. Our planner has made sure that she takes care of everything while still including us in the whole planning process .. we don't have to worry about appointment booking, or budget tracking or following up with vendors or any organization whatsoever. She takes the worrying and stressing out of the equation which may not sound big but it is.

Also, I know COVID doesn't happen often/ever and no one could have predicted this but during this time where we had engagement photos cancelled, bridesmaid dress shopping cancelled, suit appointments cancelled etc. our planner was there for us and took charge so that we could just try to relax during this stressful time.

Hope you can settle on a choice that works best for you Smiley smile

• Patricia
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would suggest a day of coordinator!! I am the dame way and honestly I’ve planned so much I don’t know where my money would be going for a full on planner. I have heard all positive things about a day of coordinator who helps day of to make sure everything goes off perfectly!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe not a planner but most planners also provide month of coordination to work with the vendors you've secured and to ensure your vision is brought to life. You, and likely your FMIL as well as your mom, will probably not want to be worrying about and working the event that's so important to you. Even if you are a self-professed control freak, you can't be everywhere at once looking after multiple things on the actual day of.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are having a day of coordinator. All she is doing is setting up all of our decor (centerpieces, front entrance table etc.) so we don't have to do it ourselves. She's also helping us with timing of when we walk down the aisle and entrance to our reception. Just so this is less stress on us. I've been planning my wedding for 2 and a half years so I totally understand where you're coming from about handing it over to someone else!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics