Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin
Frequent user June 2024 Ontario

Wedding planners

Erin, on December 14, 2019 at 11:35 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18
This is nuts. I'm looking at prices of wedding planners and their packages and all that good stuff and notice a trend. ALL their prices are up in the thousands 2000 3000 4000 it's crazy!! Did anyone use a wedding planner? Was it a good investment or did you plan by yourself and just use a day of coordinator?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Rayanne, on January 21, 2020 at 22:59
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I never seriously looked into a wedding planner. I have a few friends that are amazing at taking the reins and getting stuff done who wouldn't think twice about helping me if I need it. Everything for us will be done in two rooms so I don't see too much stress day of. We'll have our itinerary for the day and as long as we stick to that we should be fine.
  • Amy
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Amy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been wondering the same thing but if their prices are upwards of thousands (which I do understand that's how they make their money, but I just can't afford that in our wedding budget) then it seems plausible enough to do it independently.

Personally I've just been coordinating with venues on the wedding wire app - which has been very useful and getting as much research done as possible, keeping a Google Doc that I share with my fiance so he can view changes etc. with places listed and for what (i.e., "festival: chairs ($1.25 ea) to help visualize my budget in a different format than what is on the app.

We aren't doing wedding parties so we are literally doing everything just between the two of us. I find Pinterest is super helpful and just Googling around to to price comparisons etc. The more inclusive a venue, the better. You don't want to spend a bunch of money on several rentals from different places and I found, when I was realizing my vision was going to outweigh our budget, less is better and there's a lot of things you'll find you can really do without.

Reaching out to your support systems for assistance is crucial. Good luck!

• L
    Newbie August 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am thinking about hiring a Wedding planner as we are getting married in Newfoundland and neither of us live there... I'm in AB and fiancé is in NB. It is expensive, but we have both been to weddings where the couple has had to set stuff up and we would both rather enjoy our day stress free than have to worry about decorations, etc, so we decided it's worth the amount to have someone helping us out doing all that stuff.

• Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Doing it all ourselves. I will send someone (not sure who yet) to set up for the ceremony and then after pictures when theres a bit of a lull we will go do the reception. Even then we got the space for 2 hours before the ceremony and the decorations are very simple especially for the ceremony. I dont know if they hotel will set it up for us or not as they are not being super clear. Or they are and I am just being dumb lol. Either way its a waste of money to hire someone. Thats what your bridal party is for in my opinion lol

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I looked into wedding planners in the beginning and yup - prices are in the thousands.... I get it, they need to make money and they put a fair amount of effort into it.... but like, it does seem overprices which makes sense if most of us don't use them then they need to make up for the lack of clients by increasing the cost right? idk

We ended up hiring a Day of / Month of coordinator (although she had to back out) and it was only going to cost us $1,000.

I think that it's doable without a planner as long as you have family that can take the place and make sure everything is set up and ready.

• M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on how much you yourself enjoy planning. I love the work of planning (but I'm literally an event planner so maybe that's just me haha) so I think that I would either clash with a wedding planner or just end up not needing them at all. But my mom wants us to get a day-of coordinator to make sure that everything runs smoothly. They also do tear down, which is great because you have to pay a fee if you don't get everything out on time. A friend of mine has a bunch of teenage nephews and she paid them all like $50 to take all her decorations down and load them into a truck afterwards a she saved a ton of money having them do that, haha!

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Maiv, thanks so much for your reply!
    That's amazing. Yeah I'm planning a ton of diy stuff decor wise.
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing all the planning ourselves and we just hired a day of coordinator. We are also trying to save money. It is great to have a full wedding planner as they really do help a lot, but yes their prices are in the thousands Smiley ups

So far we are doing okay with planning the wedding ourselves as we have lots of time to do it and I find it quite enjoyable. I do interior design as a profession so I'm also enjoying planning all the decor Smiley smile

I guess it will depend on how much time and patience you have to do all the planning yourselves, and there's lots of useful apps and articles online to help Smiley smile

• Cockerton
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Cockerton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am using the Wedding Wire app to help prioritize everything and our venue has supplied us with a complimentary wedding planner and day-of Maître D. The contact at the venue answers any questions we have but this app has been a godsend so far for planning and we save the money for elsewhere in the budget.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You have help and able to get it done, its easy then and saving more on the cost of the planner not to be there.

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are only doing cutlery, plates, and linen rentals the centerpieces are going to be DIY as well as signage and decor are all DIY.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was about to use a planner and put a deposit down. Later when fiancé put a fight up and almost called it off, half was returned and wasn't going to use her after all.

Small décor that was done ourselves and in laws help. Rentals was the best decision made.

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a great idea! Thank you. Yes I do currently have people helping in the process. My MOH is in charge of calling venues and looking for prices, one of my bridesmaids is in charge looking for catering and checking their prices and I am doing stationary and reception venues at the moment so most of the research gets done efficiently and for the most part without issue.
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Another idea if funds are tight you could delegate a family memeber or friend to help you. Not sure of your situation but you never know. They can be in charge of "day of" and say thats their wedding gift to you. Smiley smile

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My entire budget is only around 8,000 so I'm trying to be very careful with that. No overspending if I don't have too.
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's amazing Shannon!! Yeah I've been looking around at a ton of them because my budget is extremely limited. I have most of the planning stuff pretty well handeled for the most part but thinking about hiring a day of coordinator just to make sure everything goes smoothly so I can just relax and enjoy our wedding day. I have this delightful app "wedding plandroid" which shows me everything I need to do between now and then lol so that's pretty well taken care of but I just want to make sure there will be someone other than ourselves to smooth things over in case we do come across any little hiccups.
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Erin, There are different kinds of planners out there for every budget.

You can hire a full planner that basically does everything for you. You can hire a month of planner that will help you tie everything together. Then there's a day of planner that will help you day of.

Also some venues come with a planner in there wedding packages.

For myself my venue comes with a planner. I still do most of the work but they will make sure everything runs smoothly and they are always there to answer quetions that I have.

Also there are many websites including WW that have checklist to make it easy to stay on track.

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

money in money out lol small budget.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics